Bibliometrics is the application of quantitative analysis and statistics to publications such as journal articles and their accompanying citation counts. Quantitative evaluation of publication and citation data is now used in almost all science fields to evaluate growth, maturity, leading authors, conceptual and intellectual maps, trend of a scientific community. Bibliometrics is also used in research performance evaluation, especially in university and government labs, and also by policymakers, research directors and administrators, information specialists and librarians, and scholars themselves.
The package is written in R-language. R is an open-source environment and ecosystem. The existence of substantial of good statistical algorithms, access to high-quality numerical routines, and integrated data visualization tools are perhaps the strongest qualities to prefer R to other languages for scientific computation.
Bibliometrix supports scholars in key phases of analysis:
- Data importing and conversion to R data-frame;
- Descriptive analysis of a publication dataset;
- Network extraction for co-citation, coupling, and collaboration analyses. Matrices are the input data for performing network analysis, factorial analysis or multidimensional scaling analysis;
- Text mining of manuscripts (title, abstract, authors' keywords, etc.);
- Co-word analysis.
Main functions of Bibliometrix package
The following table lists the main functions of bibliometrix package:
|Data loading and converting||• Convert2df()||• It creates a bibliographic data frame|
Descriptive bibliometric analysis
• Summary() and plot()
|• It returns an object of class bibliometrix
• They summarize the main results of the bibliometric analysis
• It identifies the most cited references or authors
• It identifies the most cited local authors
• It calculates the authors’ dominance ranking
• It measures productivity and citation impact of a scholar
• It estimates Lotka’s law coefficients for scientific productivity
|• termExtraction()||• it extracts terms from textual fields (abstracts, titles, author's keywords, etc.) of a bibliographic collection|
|• cocMatrix()||• It computes a bipartite network|
|• couplingSimilarity()||• It calculates Jaccard or Salton similarity coefficient among manuscripts of a coupling network|
|External functions from other R packages||Other R packages suggested for bibliometric analysis
• factominer: for PCA and MCA
• cmdscale: for MDS
• cluster: for clustering
(square network matrix)
|• biblioNetwork()||• It calculates the most frequently used coupling networks|
|External functions from other R packages||Other R packages suggested for mapping
• igraph for social network
• ggplot2 for bi-dimensional maps
• cluster for dendrogram
- Pritchard, A (1969). "Statistical bibliography or bibliometrics". Journal of Documentation 25, 348.
- Cuccurullo, Corrado; Aria, Massimo; Sarto, Fabrizia (2016-05-21). "Foundations and trends in performance management. A twenty-five years bibliometric analysis in business and public administration domains" (in en). Scientometrics 108 (2): 595–611. doi:10.1007/s11192-016-1948-8. ISSN 0138-9130.
- Sarto, Fabrizia; Cuccurullo, Corrado; Aria, Massimo (2015). "Exploring healthcare governance literature: systematic review and paths for future research". Mecosan (91): 61–80. doi:10.3280/mesa2014-091004.
- Cuccurullo, C., Aria, M., & Sarto, F. (2015). Twenty years of research on performance management in business and public administration domains. Presentation at the Correspondence Analysis and Related Methods conference (CARME 2015) in September 2015.
- Cuccurullo, C., Aria, M., & Sarto, F. (2013). Twenty years of research on performance management in business and public administration domains. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2013, No. 1, p. 14270). Academy of Management.
- Ramos-Rodríguez, Antonio-Rafael; Ruíz-Navarro, José (2004-10-01). "Changes in the intellectual structure of strategic management research: a bibliometric study of the Strategic Management Journal, 1980–2000" (in en). Strategic Management Journal 25 (10): 981–1004. doi:10.1002/smj.397. ISSN 1097-0266.
- Rousseau, D. M. (2012). The Oxford handbook of evidence-based management. .. Oxford University Press.
- Cobo, M.j.; López-Herrera, A.g.; Herrera-Viedma, E.; Herrera, F. (2011-07-01). "Science mapping software tools: Review, analysis, and cooperative study among tools" (in en). Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 62 (7): 1382–1402. doi:10.1002/asi.21525. ISSN 1532-2890.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Bibliometrix. Read more