|Founded||1 March 2015|
Udaipur, India 
Number of locations
Number of employees
Niki is an artificial intelligence company headquartered in Bangalore, Karnataka. It was founded in May 2015 by IIT Kharagpur graduates Sachin Jaiswal, Keshav Prawasi, Shishir Modi and Nitin Babel.
The Niki android app was launched for a limited beta in June, 2015, then released for public during YourStory's TechSparks 2015, and is a Tech30 company. The company raised an undisclosed amount in seed funding from Unilazer Ventures, a Mumbai-based VC firm founded by Ronnie Screwvala, in October 2015. This was followed by another seed funding round by Ratan Tata in May 2016. The company then raised US$2 million in Series A round of funding from SAP.iO, existing investors and some US and Germany-based investors, among others.
The product is an artificial intelligence-powered chatbot which works as an intelligent personal assistant, named Niki. Leveraging natural language processing and machine learning, Niki presents a chat-based natural language user interface to the users where they can interact with Niki in their natural language. Niki understands how users chat in India, deciphers the words, in the context of product/services that they would like to purchase, and comes up with apt recommendations.
Initially it was only available on the Android platform as a mobile app. The company has expanded its operations to the Facebook messenger and Apple iOS platforms and has introduced a better user experience and natural language processing technology. The company aims to soon be present on more messaging platforms like Slack and WhatsApp.
The company currently provides 20+ services to over 2 million consumers, covering a wide spectrum ranging from utility services like mobile recharge, bill payments, travel services like cabs, buses, hotels and entertainment services like movies and events. Services such as flights and healthcare are also planned.
In August 2017, Niki partnered with LazyPay to enable a 'buy now, pay later' feature for its users.
- "About the company". https://niki.ai/about.
- "Meet the team". https://niki.ai/team.
- "Udaipur-Based Niki Is Smarter Version Of Siri For E-Commerce". 14 July 2015. http://www.indianweb2.com/2015/07/14/udaipur-based-niki-is-smarter-version-of-siri-for-e-commerce/.
- "Artificial Intelligence Startup Niki.ai Raises Funding From ... - Inc42". https://inc42.com/flash-feed/niki-ai-funding/.
- "The Rise Of Bots: A Timeline Of Major VC-Backed Bot Startups - CB Insights". https://www.cbinsights.com/blog/bot-startups-timeline/.
- "Chat Bots Charm Ratan Tata, Another AI Startup - Entrepreneur". https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/276167.
- "Ratan Tata-backed AI startup Niki.ai raises $2 mn in Series A round" (in en-US). VCCircle. 2017-06-28. https://www.vccircle.com/ratan-tata-backed-ai-startup-niki-ai-raises-2-mn-in-series-a-round/.
- Leonid, Gorev. "Chat as an App Interface: When to Consider It". https://alty.co/blog/chat-as-an-app-interface-when-to-consider-it/.
- D'Cunha, Suparna Dutt (4 October 2016). "The AI Startup Wave Is Hitting India And Investors Are Taking Notice". https://www.forbes.com/sites/suparnadutt/2016/10/04/the-ai-startup-wave-is-hitting-india-and-investors-are-taking-notice/.
- "Niki.ai's new Messenger bot lets you hail cabs and order snacks in India". 25 August 2016. https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/25/niki-ais-new-messenger-bot-lets-you-hail-cabs-and-order-snacks-in-india/.
- Srivastava, Vishal (20 July 2016). "Niki, the AI chatbot that lets you order anything and everything, gets major upgrade with improved design and NLP tech". http://thetechportal.com/2016/07/20/ratan-tata-backed-niki-ai-chatbot-features-update/.
- Velayanikal, Malavika (3 December 2015). "So what if the Internet sucks in India? This AI chatbot gets things done". https://www.techinasia.com/internet-sucks-in-india-but-ai-chatbot-get-things-done.
- "Now you can book an OYO room via Niki bot". 5 October 2016. http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/sme/now-you-can-bookoyo-room-via-niki-bot_7579601.html.
- "Infosys arm to offer chat-based service to banking customers". The Economic Times. 2017-09-19. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/ites/infosys-arm-to-offer-chat-based-service-to-banking-customers/articleshow/60753200.cms.
- Vignesh, J. (2017-08-31). "Niki.ai partners with LazyPay to offer 'buy now, pay later' feature". The Economic Times. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/small-biz/startups/niki-ai-partners-with-lazypay-to-offer-buy-now-pay-later-feature/articleshow/60310670.cms.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Niki.ai. Read more