It is produced and maintained by Shopware AG, a German multinational e-commerce software company headquartered in Schöppingen , North Rhine-Westphalia. Shopware’s products are open source service orientated platforms based on PHP (Symfony framework). The Shopware platform offers online retailers a suite of services including catalogue & content management, promotion, shopping cart, payment handling, marketing, order management and shipping tools.
The company reported that it had more than 38,000 businesses using its platforms as of March 2022. According to BuiltWith, 38,351 currently live websites run on the Shopware platform as of Aug 2022. According to
Shopware was founded in 2000 (initially under the name Hamann-Media GmbH ) by Stefan Hamann - a young a computer programmer and he was later joined by his brother Sebastian Hamann.
- In 2010 Shopware released an Open Source version of their shopping cart platform - and all subsequent releases have included a free to use Open Source version.
- In 2015 Shopware released their Shopware 5 platform.
- In 2020 Shopware 6 was released. This platform represents the culmination of development and standardisation that delivers API first, composable and cloud ready facilities based solely on the Symfony PHP framework.
- In 2020 (and in all subsequent years) Shopware was recognised by Gartner as part of it’s Magic Quadrant.
- In February 2022 Shopware closed its first funding round with a $100m investment from Carlyle Group & PayPal.
Reviews and Awards
Shopware has been recognised as a great place to work since 2017
Shopware has been listed as a 'Niche Player' in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce since 2020
Shopware is also listed as part of Gartner's Peer review service and (as at Sept 2022) had a 4.4 star rating
E Commerce Germany lists Shopware as one of its Top 5 Open Source ecommerce platforms
Ecommerce Guide gave Shopware a score of 8.75 out of 10 
The Community Edition was launched at the end of 2010 and is free, open source online shop software offered on the same technical core as the paid editions. While the source code was disclosed in 2010, the software was placed under the AGPL3 license with the release of version 4 (Shopware 4) on August 28, 2012 . Templates are subject to the Apache 2.0 License .
The latest version of the platform, Shopware 6, is offered under the MIT open source license.
The manufacturer offers no warranty, support or maintenance for the free software, but a wiki and a forum are available. The Community Edition is not restricted in terms of functionality and can manage any number of categories, articles and customers. An upgrade to the paid editions is possible. The Community Edition can be expanded with free and paid plugins from the Community Store.
The Professional Edition is a commercial license. In addition to the basic functionalities of the Community Edition, it contains additional features such as storytelling and digital publishing. In addition, customers with this edition are entitled to a warranty and have the option of making use of manufacturer support and maintenance.
The Shopware Enterprise Edition essentially has the same range of functions as the Professional Edition with the addition of advanced publishing, B2B functions and Enterprise search. In addition, users of this license are offered added value in the form of developer support around the clock, and personal consultancy advice.
There are around 3,500 plug-ins for Shopware, e.g. in the areas of administration, integration, language, marketing, template and design. There are also interfaces to around 50 payment service providers and various merchandise management systems. It is also possible to create your own extensions either as Apps or Plugins.
Shopware allows the creation of invoices and delivery notes; However, functions such as purchasing or financial accounting are not integrated. Interfaces to various merchandise management systems are offered.
The "bepado" extension enabled shop operators to make products from their range available for sale to other shop operators via a decentralized marketplace. The marketplace offered a B2B platform for wholesalers and online retailers in the style of a social network, in which a targeted product search is possible and product data and descriptions can be automatically transferred. At Shopware Community Day 2015, the extension was renamed Shopware Connect . The service was discontinued on October 31, 2018 after new shop operators had not been able to add their shop to the network for some time.
Shopware is developed in the programming language PHP. Up to version 4 the 'enlight' framework, a manufacturer-specific modification of the Zend Framework, was used. Since version 5, Shopware has been based on the Symfony PHP framework.
A relational MySQL database is required as the database.
A software development kit for the programming language PHP exists for the development of programming interface -based services , which is also available on Github.
Released in 2004.
Release date November 10, 2008
With version 3.0.3, the RMA and service functions were bundled in the "Ticket system/CRM" module. A premium module that was already abolished in version 3.5 was also set up, the functions of which were only available to users of a maintenance contract .
Release date October 19, 2010
New features of version 3.5 were in particular a completely revised template and the provision of an open-source Community Edition. Within 5 months there were 3,500 new installations of the software.
A multi-level caching concept was used and a plugin system with integrated hooks and events . This allowed developers to develop new functions using additional modules (plugins) without having to intervene in the core of the program. From version 3.5.4 the hookpoints were omitted.
Release date August 28, 2012
With version 4.0, released on August 28, 2012, the software was placed under an AGPL license and is therefore also officially open source . Major changes include:
- The previous modules will be available as plugins in the future.
- The modules for configuring variants and exporting data to price search engines have been integrated into the software.
- The search function has been upgraded and an HTML newsletter has been integrated.
- A media manager manages images, films and other media centrally and via drag & drop.
- A rest API provides functions for connecting external software.
- Important elements such as the call-to-action buttons, navigation, search and input fields, for example in the checkout process, have been optimized for tablet PCs. Finger gestures are also supported.
- The performance of the Community and Professional Edition has been increased by using a new cache layer.
Version 5.0.0 final was released on April 27, 2015. The version included a revised front end designed to be fully responsive.
Release date January 15, 2020
Shopware AG previewed Shopware 6 as part of the Shopware Community Day (SCD) in the Landscape Park Duisburg Nord. The software package had been in development since 2016, and incorporates standard technologies such as Symfony and Vue.js and, according to Shopware, offers programming interfaces for a modern e-commerce platform and contains a standard storefront based on Bootstrap and the Twig template engine.
The first version for productive use (with Shopware 6.1) was released on January 15, 2020.
At Community Day 2020, Shopware released the cloud-based (SaaS) Shopware Starter Edition, which aims to make Shopware 6 more accessible to small businesses. The Shopware Professional Edition was also presented as a cloud model.
At Community Day 2022, Shopware released a PaaS version of the platform.
- "Shopware Usage Statistics". https://trends.builtwith.com/shop/Shopware.
- "t3n – digital pioneers | Das Magazin für digitales Business" (in de). https://t3n.de/consent?redirecturl=%2Fnews%2Fshopware-6-vom-klassischen-shopsystem-zur-e-commerce-plattform-1165877%2F.
- uma (2022-08-23). "Shopware recognized in Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ report for the third year in a row - BRANDS journal" (in en-US). https://brandsjournal.com/shopware-recognized-in-gartner-magic-quadrant-report-for-the-third-year-in-a-row/.
- "Shopware, an e-commerce platform that powers 100K brands, raises its first outside funding: $100M from PayPal and Carlyle" (in en-US). https://social.techcrunch.com/2022/02/08/shopware-an-e-commerce-platform-that-powers-100k-brands-raises-its-first-outside-funding-100m-from-paypal-and-carlyle/.
- "shopware AG Great Place to Work®" (in de-DE). https://www.greatplacetowork.de/Page_Controller/.
- Inc, Gartner. "Shopware Enterprise IT Software Reviews | Gartner Peer Insights". https://www.gartner.com/market/digital-commerce/vendor/shopware/product/shopware/reviews.
- "G2 Crowd Peer-to-Peer review". https://www.g2.com/products/shopware/reviews.
- "TOP 6 open source ecommerce platforms" (in en-US). 2017-01-17. https://ecommercegermany.com/blog/top-5-open-source-ecommerce-platforms.
- "The Best Ecommerce Platforms [2022 - Enterprise & SME Ecommerce Platforms"] (in en-GB). 2022-02-21. https://ecommerceguide.com/ecommerce-platforms/.
- "Shopware Professional Edition | Shopware". https://www.shopware.com/en/products/professional-edition/.
- "Enterprise Edition | Shopware | Shopware". https://www.shopware.com/en/products/enterprise-edition/.
- "Shopware (Projects using Symfony)" (in en). https://symfony.com/projects/shopware.
- Shopware, Shopware, 2022-08-18, https://github.com/shopware/platform, retrieved 2022-08-19
- "Shopware 4: Neue Software für Webshop-Betreiber" (in de). https://www.channelpartner.de/a/neue-software-fuer-webshop-betreiber,2591657.
- "t3n – digital pioneers | Das Magazin für digitales Business" (in de). https://t3n.de/consent?redirecturl=%2Fnews%2Fshopware-geht-starter-edition-1292410%2F.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopware. Read more