Irish entrepreneurs John and Patrick Collison founded Stripe in 2010. In June 2010, Stripe received seed funding from Y Combinator, a start-up accelerator. In May 2011, Stripe received a $2 million investment from venture capitalists Peter Thiel, Sequoia Capital, and Andreessen Horowitz. In February 2012, Stripe received an $18 million Series A investment, led by Sequoia Capital at a $100 million valuation. Stripe launched publicly in September 2011 after an extensive private beta. Less than a year after its public launch, Stripe received a $20 million Series B investment. In March 2013, Stripe acquired chat and task-management application Kick-off.
In 2016, Stripe was valued at over $9 billion when it raised a $150 million round. In its next funding round in September 2018, Stripe received a $20 billion valuation while raising $245 million.
In 2019, Stripe raised an additional $100 million in a Series E round from investment firm Tiger Global Management, boosting the payment startup's valuation to $22.5 billion. Currently, Stripe is operating across four engineering hubs in Seattle, Dublin, San Francisco and Singapore. 
In September 2019, Stripe raised $250 million in a new funding round to take its enterprise value to $35 billion.
|Date||Funding Type||Number of Investors||Money Raised||Lead Investor||Valuation|
|Aug 2, 2010||Seed Round||1||--||Y Combinator||--|
|Mar 28, 2011||Seed Round||4||$2M||--||--|
|Feb 9, 2012||Series A||1||$18M||Sequoia Capital||$100M|
|Jul 9, 2012||Series B||9||$20M||General Catalyst||--|
|Jan 22, 2014||Series C||4||$80M||Founders Fund||$1.75B|
|Dec 2, 2014||Series C||7||$70M||Thrive Capital||$3.5B|
|Jul 31, 2015||Series C||7||$100M||--||--|
|Nov 25, 2016||Series D||3||$150M||CapitalG, General Catalyst||$9B|
|Sep 27, 2018||Series E||5||$245M||Tiger Global Management||$20B|
|Jan 29, 2019||Series F||1||$100M||Tiger Global Management||$22.5B|
|Sep 19, 2019||Series G||3+||$250M||Sequoia Capital, General Catalyst and Andreessen Horowitz||$35B|
Products and services
Stripe provides APIs that web developers can use to integrate payment processing into their websites and mobile applications. In April 2018, the company released anti-fraud tools that run alongside payment APIs to block fraudulent transactions.
The company expanded its services to include a billing product for online businesses. The new service operates within the Stripe platform, allowing businesses to manage subscription recurring revenue and invoicing.
On February 24, 2016, the company launched the Atlas platform that allows startups to incorporate more easily in the U.S. The platform originally launched as invite-only. In March 2016, Cuba was added to the list of countries covered under the program. Atlas was relaunched with improvements the following year. As of April 2017, Atlas had signed more than 200 international startups. As of March 2019, startups from 120 countries have used Stripe Atlas to start their business.
On April 30, 2018, the company announced an expansion to Atlas. The upgrades to Atlas included the ability to be used to set up Delaware-based limited liability companies.
On November 5, 2019, Stripe announced the launch of the Stripe command-line interface (CLI). Stripe's CLI is a way to interact with Stripe from the terminal and makes it easier to build, test, and manage integrations.
Stripe is reported to have participated in two funding rounds for Monzo, a “challenger” bank based in the U.K. Stripe's first investment in Monzo was reported on November 6, 2017, with a second investment in Monzo’s Series E fundraising round reported on October 10, 2018. Monzo’s valuation grew from approximately $350 million to $1.27 billion through these two rounds of fundraising. Stripe participated in a third round of funding for Monzo on June 24, 2019, which raised approximately $144 million in funding for Monzo at a valuation of approximately $2.5 billion, producing valuation growth of more than 600% between Stripe's initial investment in Monzo and its 2019 investment.
On August 28, 2018, TechCrunch reported that Stripe was leading the Series A fundraising round for Nigerian payment-processing company Paystack. The report noted this as an “interesting twist,” as Paystack is called “Stripe-like” and is reported to offer similar functionalities as Stripe’s.
On October 8, 2018, Stripe reportedly participated in a $14 million Series A fundraising round for Lambda School, an online software and coding school.
On February 13,2019, Stripe co-led — with Stripe investor General Catalyst — a $40 million Series B fundraising round for Rapyd, a “fintech as a service” startup.
On April 17, 2019, Stripe participated in a $40 million Series B fundraising round for Pilot, which provides cloud-based accounting automation services powered by artificial intelligence.
On September 25, 2019, Stripe participated in the $2.7 million seed funding round for the Philippine-based payment processing company PayMongo.
- Electronic commerce
- List of online payment service providers
- Payment gateway
- Payment service provider
- Subscription business model
- "Inside Stripe, The PayPal Competitor Backed By PayPal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk". http://www.fastcompany.com/1813087/inside-stripe-paypal-competitor-backed-paypal-founders-peter-thiel-elon-musk.
- "The Collison Brothers and Story Behind The Founding Of Stripe". Startup Grind. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140407071804/http://startupgrind.com/2012/02/true-startup-story-the-collison-brothers-and-stripe-com/. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Brockman, Greg (April 2, 2014). "How Did Stripe Come Up With Its Name?". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2014/04/02/how-did-stripe-come-up-with-its-name/. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Stripe Press resources". http://stripe.com/press.
- Arrington, Michael (March 28, 2011). "Stealth Payment Startup Stripe Backed By PayPal Founders". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2011/03/28/stealth-payment-startup-stripe-paypal/. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Mitroff, Sarah (9 February 2012). "Stripe attracts $18M in funding at $100M valuation". VentureBeat. https://venturebeat.com/2012/02/09/stripe-funding-valuation/. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Warnimont, Joe (4 April 2018). "Stripe Review: Payment Processor with Advanced Development and Clear Pricing". Ecommerce Platforms. https://ecommerce-platforms.com/ecommerce-reviews/stripe-review. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Stripe: instant payment processing for developers". Hacker News. 29 September 2011. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3053883. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (9 July 2012). "Sexy Payments Startup Stripe Swipes $20M From General Catalyst, Sequoia, Thiel And More". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2012/07/09/payments-startup-stripe-swipes-20m-from-general-catalyst-sequoia-thiel-and-more/. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Rao, Leena. "Payments Company Stripe Makes First Acquisition, Buys Team Task Management And Collaboration App Kickoff". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2013/03/11/payments-company-stripe-acquires-team-task-management-and-collaboration-app-kickoff/. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Stripe expands its Atlas startup kit to let founders form LLCs – TechCrunch" (in en-US). https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/30/stripe-expands-its-atlas-startup-kit-let-founders-form-llcs/.
- Vance, Ashlee (September 26, 2018). "Payment Startup Stripe Is Now a $20 Billion Company". https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-26/payment-startup-stripe-is-now-a-20-billion-company?srnd=technology-vp.
- Fuscaldo, Donna. "Stripe Now Has A Valuation Of $35 Billion" (in en). https://www.forbes.com/sites/donnafuscaldo/2019/09/19/stripe-now-has-a-pre-money-valuation-of-35-billion/.
- Rooney, Ryan Browne,Kate (2019-01-30). "Stripe rides the online payments boom to a $22.5 billion valuation" (in en). https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/30/stripe-raises-100-million-from-tiger-global-at-22point5-billion-valuation.html.
- Kim, Jay. "Now Worth $22.5 Billion, Stripe Is Ready To Tackle The Next Wave Of Online Commerce In Asia" (in en). https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimjay/2019/08/01/now-worth-us20bn-stripe-is-well-positioned-to-tackle-the-next-wave-of-online-commerce-in-asia/.
- "Stripe funding round – US online payments company rakes in $250m" (in en-GB). 2019-09-21. https://www.business-news-today.com/stripe-funding-round-online-payments-company/.
- Levy, Ari (7 May 2015). "The start-up that's out to conquer global payments". CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/id/102655071. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Carr, Austin (February 1, 2012). "Inside Stripe, The Paypal Competitor Backed By Paypal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk". FastCompany. http://www.fastcompany.com/1813087/inside-stripe-paypal-competitor-backed-paypal-founders-peter-thiel-elon-musk. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Stripe debuts Radar anti-fraud AI tools for big businesses, says it has halted $4B in fraud to date" (in en-US). https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/18/stripe-debuts-radar-anti-fraud-ai-tools-for-big-businesses-says-it-has-halted-4b-in-fraud-to-date/.
- "Stripe launches a new billing tool to tap demand from online businesses" (in en-US). https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/stripe-launches-a-new-billing-tool-to-tap-demand-from-online-businesses/.
- "Stripe Expands Startup Tools With Atlas, For Foreign Companies To Incorporate In Delaware – TechCrunch" (in en-US). https://beta.techcrunch.com/2016/02/24/stripe-expands-startup-tools-with-atlas-a-way-for-global-companies-to-incorporate-in-delaware/.
- "Stripe’s startup toolkit Atlas opens for business in Cuba – TechCrunch" (in en-US). https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/18/stripes-startup-toolkit-atlas-opens-for-business-in-cuba/.
- "Stripe Opens Up Atlas for U.S. Startups" (in en-US). Bank Innovation. 2017-04-06. https://bankinnovation.net/2017/04/stripe-opens-up-atlas-for-u-s-startups/.
- "Atlas Overview | Stripe Atlas" (in en). https://stripe.com/docs/atlas.
- Verhage, Julie; Huet, Ellen (26 July 2018). "Stripe Starts Issuing Credit Cards". Bloomberg News. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-26/stripe-starts-issuing-credit-cards.
- "Stripe Terminal" (in en). https://stripe.com/blog/terminal.
- "Stripe Terminal Readers" (in en). https://stripe.com/docs/terminal/readers.
- "Stripe Terminal Overview (Docs)" (in en). https://stripe.com/docs/terminal.
- "Stripe Makes Terminal Available Across The US" (in en-US). 2019-06-11. https://www.pymnts.com/news/point-of-sale/2019/stripe-terminal-us/.
- "Stripe Terminal is now generally available in the US" (in en). https://stripe.com/blog/terminal-in-person-payments.
- "Sorbet is now open source" (in en). https://stripe.com/blog/sorbet.
- "Stripe CLI" (in en). https://stripe.com/en-my/blog/stripe-cli.
- "Challenger bank Monzo raises another £71M from Goodwater Capital, Stripe and Michael Moritz" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2017/11/06/monzo-moolah/.
- "Monzo, the UK challenger bank, raises £85M Series E at a £1B pre-money valuation" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2018/10/30/monzocorn/.
- Cook, James (2019-06-25). "Monzo's valuation hits £2bn as the digital bank raises £113m in fresh funding" (in en-GB). The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/06/24/monzos-valuation-hits-2bn-digital-bank-raises-113m-fresh-funding/.
- "Monzo, the UK challenger bank, raises £113M Series F led by YC’s Continuity fund at a £2B post-money valuation" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2019/06/24/monzo-series-f/.
- "Paystack, with ambitions to become the Stripe of Africa, raises $8M from Visa, Tencent… and Stripe itself" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2018/08/28/paystack-with-ambitions-to-become-the-stripe-of-africa-raises-8m-from-visa-tencent-and-stripe-itself/.
- "Lambda School Raises $14M to Grow Coding School Offerings - EdSurge News" (in en). 2018-10-08. https://www.edsurge.com/news/2018-10-08-lambda-school-raises-14m-to-grow-coding-school-offerings.
- "Rapyd nabs $40M led by Stripe and GC for ‘fintech as a service,’ a single API for payments, money transfer and more" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2019/02/13/rapyd-nabs-40m-led-by-stripe-and-gc-for-fintech-as-a-service-a-single-api-for-payments-money-transfer-and-more/.
- "Stripe Backs $40 Million Investment in A.I. Accounting Startup Pilot" (in en). http://fortune.com/2019/04/17/pilot-software/.
- "Step raises $22.5 million to help teens manage their money" (in en-US). 2019-06-06. https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/06/step-raises-22-5-million-to-help-teens-manage-their-money/.
- "Manila-based payments processing startup PayMongo raises $2.7 million in seed funding" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2019/09/25/manila-based-payments-processing-startup-paymongo-raises-2-7-million-in-seed-funding/.
- How I Built This - Stripe: Patrick and John Collison (audio interview)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripe (company) was the original source. Read more.