AP Computer Science
In the United States, Advanced Placement Computer Science is a suite of Advanced Placement courses and examinations covering areas of computer science. They are offered by the College Board to high school students as an opportunity to earn college credit for college-level courses. The suite consists of two current classes and one discontinued class.
AP Computer Science A
AP Computer Science A is a programming class. The course emphasizes object-oriented programming methodology, especially problem solving and algorithm development, plus an overview of data structures and abstraction. The AP Computer Science A exam tests students on their knowledge of Java.
It is meant to be the equivalent of a first-semester course in computer science.
AP Computer Science AB (discontinued)
AP Computer Science AB included all the topics of AP Computer Science A, as well as a more formal and a more in-depth study of algorithms, data structures, and data abstraction. For example, binary trees were studied in AP Computer Science AB but not in AP Computer Science A. The use of recursive data structures and dynamically allocated structures were fundamental to AP Computer Science AB.
AP Computer Science AB was equivalent to a full-year college course.
AP Computer Science Principles
AP Computer Science Principles is an introductory course to computer science, "with a focus on how computing powers the world". It is designed as a parallel to AP Computer Science A, to emphasize computational thinking and fluency. It is meant to be the equivalent of a first-semester course in computing.
- AP Computer Science A
- Computer science
- Glossary of computer science
- Scope (computer science)
- Computer graphics (computer science)
- "Credit & Placement". AP Students. The College Board. 2017. https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/creditandplacement.
- Lew, Michael. "AP Computer Science: A Brief History". http://www.apsi.thecubscientist.com/05_DailySchedule/historyAPCS.pdf.
- "AP Computer Science A: Course Details". AP Students. The College Board. 2017. https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-computer-science-a/course-details.
- Bishop, Todd (2012-07-27). "Geek of the Week: Kevin Wang is putting computer scientists into high schools". GeekWire. http://www.geekwire.com/2012/kevin-wang/.
- "AP Computer Science AB Course Home Page". AP Central. The College Board. 2008. http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/8153.html.
- "Important Announcement about AP Computer Science AB". AP Central. The College Board. 2008. http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/195948.html.
- Cech, Scott J. (April 9, 2008). "College Board Intends to Drop AP Programs in Four Subjects". Education Week. http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2008/04/09/32ap.h27.html.
- "AP Computer Science Principles: Course Details". AP Students. The College Board. 2017. https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-computer-science-principles/course-details.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ AP Computer Science. Read more