The Moon on Sharad Purnima, 2017
|Begins||Full Moon Day, Ashvin|
|Date||Ashvin full moon|
|Related to||Lakshmi, Moon|
Sharad Purnima (also known as Kojagiri Purnima, Navanna Purnima, or Kaumudi Purnima) is a harvest festival celebrated on the full moon day of the Hindu lunar month of Ashvin (September to October), marking the end of the monsoon season.
The Kojagari Purnima concerns the observance of the Kojagara Vrata. People perform this vrata under the moonlight after fasting for the day. Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of Wealth, is significantly worshipped on this day as it is believed to be her birthday. Lord Indra, the God of Rains, seated on his elephant, Airavata is also worshipped as also is Lord Shiva with his consort Parvati and carrier Nandi. The devotee breaks the fast at night by taking parched rice and milk after offering them to the moon-god. Vivid descriptions of this night are given in Brahma Purana, Skanda Purana, and the Linga Purana. It is said in these Puranas that Goddess Lakshmi takes rounds of the earth to watch the actions of human beings during this night.
- Mid-Autumn Festival
- "2013 Hindu Festivals Calendar for Bahula, West Bengal, India". 2013. http://www.drikpanchang.com/calendars/hindu/hinducalendar.html. Retrieved 19 January 2013. "18 Friday Kojagara Puja, Sharad Purnima, Chandra Grahan"
- "2016 Hindu Holidays Celebrated in India, Free Hindu Holidays Celebrated". http://www.pujadatetime.in/2016/07/2016-hindu-holidays-celebrated-in-india.html. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "2017 Sharad Purnima date". http://www.drikpanchang.com/purnima/sharad/sharad-purnima-date-time.html.
- Maharashtra State Gazetteers: Ahmednagar. Director of Government Printing, Stationery and Publications, Maharashtra State. 1976. p. 282. https://books.google.co.in/books?id=ip9hAAAAIAAJ&q=kojagiri&dq=kojagiri&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEhKmCvNfWAhVFqI8KHemtClE4ChDoAQgnMAE.
- Bhatt, Shankarlal C. (2006). Land and People of Indian States and Union Territories. Gyan Publishing House. p. 163. https://books.google.co.in/books?id=3IWXh-6zDe8C&pg=PA163&dq=kaumudi+purnima&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-iIX1vdfWAhUINI8KHcdCACQQ6AEIIzAA#v=onepage&q=kaumudi%20purnima&f=false.
- "Sharad Purnima 2017: Laxmi Puja or Kojagiri Purnima Date(Tithi), Significance and Bhog Rituals". October 5, 2017. https://www.ndtv.com/food/sharad-purnima-2017-laxmi-puja-or-kojagiri-purnima-date-tithi-significance-and-bhog-rituals-1759012. "but the Laxmi Puja observed on Sharad Purnima is believed to be one of the most significant ones. It is performed on the full moon day in the month of Ashwin in Hindu lunar calendar. Believed to be the birthday of goddess Lakshmi, it is also celebrated as Kuanr Purnima or Kojagari Purnima - the harvest festival signifying the end of the monsoon season."
- BBC: Hindu full moon celebration in Tilehurst
- The Autumn Harvest Festival (Utsav) Sharad Poornima (Purnima)
- "Sharad Purnima"
- Traditions And Customs: Sharad Purnima