Robert John LaLonde (1958 – 2018) was an American economist who specialized in the fields of labor economics and econometrics. He received his A.B. degree from the University of Chicago in 1980. He then attended Princeton University, where he received his Ph.D. in 1985 under the supervision of Orley Ashenfelter. His own Ph.D. students included Brian Jacob. He joined the faculty of the University of Chicago in 1985 as Associate Professor of Industrial Relations at the Graduate School of Business and was a Visiting Associate Professor of The Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies from 1994-1995. In 1995, LaLonde joined Michigan State University as an Associate Professor of Economics for three years. In 1999, he went on to spend the remainder of professional career at the University of Chicago, where he was professor and director of the Ph.D. program in the Harris School of Public Policy. In addition to his academic appointments, he was a research fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research in 1986, and was a senior staff economist at the Council of Economic Advisers from 1987 to 1988. He joined the IZA Institute of Labor Economics as a research fellow in 2001. He was honored with a conference held by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in 2016. He died on January 17, 2018, after a long illness.
- "Robert J. LaLonde, pioneering scholar, beloved colleague and mentor, 1958-2018" (in en). 2018-01-23. https://news.uchicago.edu/story/robert-j-lalonde-pioneering-scholar-beloved-colleague-and-mentor-1958-2018.
- "Robert LaLonde". https://www.genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=202249.
- "Robert J. LaLonde". https://www.iza.org/person/159/robert-j-lalonde.
- "IZA Fellow Robert LaLonde (1958–2018)". https://newsroom.iza.org/en/archive/news/iza-fellow-robert-lalonde-1958-2018/.
- Baicker, Katherine (2018-01-18). "Robert LaLonde (1958-2018)". https://harris.uchicago.edu/news-events/news/robert-lalonde-1958-2018.
- "In Memory of Robert J. Lalonde (1958-2018)". https://bfi.uchicago.edu/news/feature-story/memory-robert-j-lalonde-1958-2018.
- Ashenfelter, Orley; Card, David (July 2017). "Introduction: Essays in Honor of Robert J. LaLonde". Journal of Labor Economics 35 (S1): S1–S6. doi:10.1086/692749.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert LaLonde was the original source. Read more.