|Born||September 12, 1949|
|Died||13 September 2019 (aged 70)|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Institutions||Johns Hopkins University|
|Doctoral advisor||Spencer Bloch|
Steven Mark Zucker (12 September 1949 – 13 September 2019) was an American mathematician who introduced the Zucker conjecture, proved in different ways by Eduard Looijenga (1988) and by Leslie Saper and Mark Stern (1990).
Zucker completed his Ph.D. in 1974 at Princeton University under the supervision of Spencer Bloch. His work with David A. Cox led to an algorithm for determining if a given set of sections provides a basis (up to torsion) for the Mordell–Weil group of an elliptic surface [math]E \to S[/math], where [math]S[/math] is isomorphic to the projective line.
He was part of the mathematics faculty at the Johns Hopkins University. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Cox, David A.; Zucker, Steven (1979), "Intersection numbers of sections of elliptic surfaces", Inventiones Mathematicae 53 (1): 1–44, doi:10.1007/BF01403189
- Looijenga, Eduard (1988). "L2-cohomology of locally symmetric varieties". Compositio Mathematica 67 (1): 3–20.
- Saper, Leslie; Stern, Mark L2-cohomology of arithmetic varieties, Annals of Mathematics (2) 132 (1990), no. 1, 1–69. MR1059935
- Zucker, Steven (1977). "The Hodge conjecture for cubic fourfolds". Compositio Mathematica 34 (2): 199–209. http://www.numdam.org/item?id=CM_1977__34_2_199_0.
- Zucker, Steven (1978). "Théorie de Hodge à coefficients dégénérescents". Comptes rendus de l'Académie des Sciences 286: 1137–1140.
- Zucker, Steven (1979). "Hodge theory with degenerating coefficients: L2-cohomology in the Poincaré metric". Annals of Mathematics 109: 415–476.
- Zucker, Steven (1982). "L2-cohomology of warped products and arithmetic groups". Inventiones Mathematicae 70: 169–218.
- "Steven M Zucker". Family Search. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KTDB-91M.
- "Influential Johns Hopkins math professor Steven Zucker dies at 70". Johns Hopkins University. https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/09/19/stephen-zucker-mathematics-obituary/.
- "List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society". http://www.ams.org/profession/fellows-list.
- Steven Zucker at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Official home page". http://www.math.jhu.edu/~sz/.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven Zucker was the original source. Read more.