|Alma mater||Case Western Reserve University|
University at Buffalo
|Philosophy of mathematics|
|Mathematical structuralism (abstract variety)|
Stewart Shapiro (//; born 1951) is O'Donnell Professor of Philosophy at the Ohio State University. He is a leading figure in the philosophy of mathematics where he defends the abstract variety of structuralism.
Shapiro studied Mathematics and Philosophy at Case Western Reserve University in 1973. Then, he got his M.A. in Mathematics at the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1975. He transferred to the University at Buffalo Philosophy Department, where three years later he received a Ph.D. His doctoral supervisor was John Corcoran.
- Philosophy of Mathematics: Structure and Ontology. Oxford University Press, 1997. ISBN:0-19-513930-5
- Thinking about Mathematics: The Philosophy of Mathematics. Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN:0-19-289306-8
- Foundations without Foundationalism: A Case for Second-Order Logic. Oxford University Press, 1991. ISBN:0-19-853391-8
- Vagueness in Context. Oxford University Press, 2006. ISBN:0-19-928039-8
- Varieties of Logic. Oxford University Press, 2014. ISBN:978-0199696529
- Intensional Mathematics, Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics 113, Amsterdam, North Holland Publishing Company, 1985. Contributors: S. Shapiro, J. Myhill, N. D. Goodman, A. Scedrov, V. Lifschitz, R. Flagg, R. Smullyan.
- The Limits of Logic: Higher-Order Logic and the Löwenheim-Skolem Theorem, Routledge, 1996.
- Special issue of Philosophia Mathematica 4(2), devoted to structuralism. Contributors: P. Benacerraf, G. Hellman, B. Hale, C. Parsons, M. Resnik, S. Shapiro. Contributors: P. Benacerraf, G. Hellman, B. Hale, C. Parsons, M. Resnik, S. Shapiro, 1996.
- The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Mathematics and Logic. Oxford University Press, 2005. ISBN:0-19-514877-0
- American philosophy
- List of American philosophers
- Stewart Shapiro, "Mathematical Structuralism", Philosophia Mathematica, 4(2), May 1996, pp. 81–2.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Stewart Shapiro. Read more