Biology:Spinifex (coastal grass)
|Spinifex longifolius |
Grant Marine Park
Cottesloe, Western Australia.
(syn of S. littoreus)
They are one of the most common plants that grow in sand dunes along the coasts of Africa, Middle East, Asia, Australia , New Zealand, and New Caledonia, with the ranges of some species extending north and west along the coasts of Asia as far as India and Japan . As they help stabilise the sand, these grasses are an important part of the entire sand dune ecosystem. The single species indigenous to New Zealand, Spinifex sericeus, is also found in Australia .
Confusingly, the word "spinifex" is also used as a common name referring to grasses in the related genus Triodia. Triodia however is native to inland Australia and refers to a group of spiny-leaved, tussock-forming grasses.
- Spinifex × alterniflorus Nees – Western Australia
- Spinifex hirsutus Labill. – all 6 states of Australia
- Spinifex littoreus (Burm.f.) Merr. – Ashmore Reef in Western Australia; New Guinea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines , Indochina, Indian subcontinent, China (Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan), Taiwan, Japan including Ryukyu Islands
- Spinifex longifolius R.Br. – Thailand, Indonesia, New Guinea, Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia
- Spinifex sericeus R.Br. – all 6 states of Australia plus Norfolk Island, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Tonga
Species formerly included:
- Spinifex paradoxus (now Zygochloa paradoxa)
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Linnaeus, Carl von. 1771. Mantissa Plantarum 163, 300
- Tropicos, Spinifex L.
- Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 553 鬣刺属 lie ci shu Spinifex Linnaeus, Mant. Pl. 2: 163, 300. 1771.
- "Atlas of Living Australia Spinifex L.". http://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:apni.taxon:414869.
- "Sand spinifex grass (Spinifex sericeus)". Descriptions of Major Dune Plants. Beach Protection Authority, Queensland. https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p00278aa.pdf.
- Mark, Alan F. (1 March 2009). "Grasslands - Spinifex". Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/grasslands/1/2/3. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- Webb, C.J.; Sykes, W.R.; Garnock-Jones, P.J. (1988). Flora of New Zealand Volume IV. Botany Division, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. http://floraseries.landcareresearch.co.nz/pages/Taxon.aspx?id=_d1a88a5f-8368-43a8-b307-f5b45cf73061&fileName=Flora%205.xml.
- The Plant List search for Spinifex
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinifex (coastal grass). Read more