|Traded as||AMEX: BTX TASE: BTX|
|Industry||Biotechnology, regenerative medicine|
|Adi Mohanty, co-CEO|
Michael D. West, co-CEOAngus Russell (Director; former CEO of Shire Plc)
BioTime, Inc. is a clinical-stage biotechnology company headquartered in Alameda, California. BioTime stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange American Exchange under ticker symbol BTX. BioTime focuses primarily on aesthetics, ophthalmology  and cell and drug delivery.
In 2007, the company appointed Michael D. West, Ph.D, as chief executive officer. West had been CSO and CEO of Advanced Cell Technology, which later changed its name to Ocata Therapeutics and was sold to Astellas Pharma in 2016. Prior to that had founded Geron (NASDAQ: GERN).
BioTime's subsidiaries include:
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, which is re-initiating Geron's stem cell trial for spinal cord injury using the stem cell assets acquired from Geron in 2013. The CEO of this subsidiary is Pedro Lichtinger, former CEO of Optimer Pharmaceuticals, which along with Trius Therapeutics was acquired by Cubist Pharmaceuticals for $1.6 billion in July 2013. Asterias Biotherapeutics stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange market exchange (AMEX: AST).
- OncoCyte Corp., which is developing products for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. OncoCyte stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange" market exchange (AMEX: OCX)
- AgeX Therapeutics, a biotechnology company formed in 2017, aiming to apply cellular technology to human aging and age-related disease.
Board of directors
BioTime’s Board of Directors includes:
- Neal Bradsher. A chartered financial analyst (CFA), Bradsher is founder and president of Broadwood Capital. He was a board member of Questcor Pharmaceuticals until it was acquired by acquired by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceutics for $5.6 Billion in August 2014.
- Stephen C. Farrell, CEO of Convey Health Solutions, and a former director of chairman of the audit committee of Questcor Pharmaceuticals, which was acquired by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceutics for $5.6 Billion in August 2014. Farrell formerly served as president of PolyMedica Corp., until it was acquired for $1.5 Billion in 2007 by Medco Health Solutions, the largest pharmacy benefit manager in the U.S.
- Alfred Kingsley, chairman of the board. He is general partner of Greenway Partners LP and was formerly a senior advisor to billionaire investor Carl Icahn from 1968 to 1992.
- Michael H. Mulroy, a business consultant. He formerly served as executive vice president of Mallinckrodt plc following its acquisition of Questcor Pharmaceuticals in August 2014. Mulroy held a variety of positions at Questcor including General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer.
- Angus Russell, the retired Chief Executive Officer of Shire plc, a multinational specialty biopharmaceutical manufacturing company
- Advanced Cell Technology
- Geron Corporation
- Michael D. West
- Nasdaq Biotechnology Index
- "CrunchBase Profile". http://www.crunchbase.com/company/cell-cure-neurosciences.
- "BioTime's Renevia succeeds in pivotal European facial wasting trial". Reuters. June 14, 2017. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-biotime-study/biotimes-renevia-succeeds-in-pivotal-european-facial-wasting-trial-idUSKBN19516K.
- "BioTime Acquires Retinal Repair Cell Therapy from UPMC". Reuters. February 6, 2017. https://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/biotime-acquires-retinal-repair-cell-therapy-from-upmc/81253825.
- "Insiders are buying BioTime, should you?". SeekingAlpha. August 23, 2013. http://seekingalpha.com/article/1654902-insiders-are-buying-biotime-should-you. [unreliable source?]
- "BioTime's subsidiary Cell Cure Neurosciences receives FDA authorization to initiate phase I/IIa trial of embryonic stem cell-derived OpRegen® for the treatment of the dry form of age-related macular degeneration" (Press release). BioTime. Business Wire.
- "Safety and efficacy study of OpRegen for treatment of advanced dry-form age-related macular degeneration". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02286089. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- "The Doctor Will Freeze You Now". Wired. May 2004. https://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.05/biotime.html.
- "Astellas Pharma to Acquire Ocata Therapeutics". New York Times. November 10, 2015. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/business/international/astellas-pharma-ocata-therapeutics-acquisition.html.
- "SEC Schedule 13G, filed Feb. 17, 1999". http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/DisplayFiling.aspx?TabIndex=2&FilingID=1363847&companyid=11441&ppu=%252fDefault.aspx%253fcompanyid%253d11441%2526amp%253bformtypeID%253d346.
- "Bloomberg Link speaker profile". Archived from the original on 2013-08-03. https://web.archive.org/web/20130803060041/http://www.bloomberglink.com/people/michael-d-west-ph-d/.
- "CIRM Doles Out $67M in Early Translational Grants". Genetic Engineering News. April 30, 2009. http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/cirm-doles-out-67m-in-early-translational-grants/53687392/.
- "Press Release: ACTCellerate Technology Licensed to BioTime, Inc by Advanced Cell Technology". http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/08/12/3596134.htm.
- "Cubist to pay up to $1.6 billion for two antibiotics makers". Reuters. July 30, 2013. https://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/31/us-cubist-deal-idUSBRE96T1BI20130731.
- "Stem cell industry’s ‘huge development’ in Bay Area". SF Gate. August 29, 2014. http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Asterias-Biotherapeutics-to-launch-stem-cell-5717145.php.
- "American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2015". http://www.aacr.org/Meetings/Pages/MeetingDetail.aspx?EventItemID=25&DetailItemID=157#.VR6r1fnF_jY.
- "OncoCyte rolls out massive trial for bladder cancer Dx". FierceDiagnostics. July 31, 2014. http://www.fiercediagnostics.com/story/oncocyte-rolls-out-massive-trial-bladder-cancer-dx/2014-07-31.
- "Company Overview - Business 11". http://www.agexinc.com/company-overview.html.
- "Agex to develop powerful regenerative and anti-aging treatments". Next Big Future. December 16, 2017. https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/12/agex-to-develop-powerful-regenerative-and-anti-aging-treatments.html.
- "People on the Move: Biotech/Health care". San Francisco Business Times. July 7, 2009. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/potm/2009-07-20/.
- "BioTime, Inc.: Following the Smart Money". Seeking Alpha. January 26, 2015. http://seekingalpha.com/article/2849126-biotime-inc-following-the-smart-money.
- Armstrong, Drew; Serafino, Phil (7 April 2014). "Mallinckrodt Agrees to Buy Questcor for $5.6 Billion". Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-07/mallinckrodt-to-buy-questcor-for-5-6-billion.html. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "SEC Filing from Questcor Pharmaceutics, Inc., Exhibit 99.1". https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/891288/000095013407024103/f35795exv99w1.htm.
- "How Carl Icahn became a corporate raider". Investment News. December 7, 2014. http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20141207/REG/312079993/how-carl-icahn-became-a-corporate-raider.
- "Shire's Angus Russell will retire from CEO post in 2013". FierceBiotech. October 26, 2012. http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/shires-angus-russell-will-retire-ceo-post-2013/2012-10-26.
- AgeX Therapeutics
- Yahoo! Finance page for BioTime
- Video: Dr. West's video updates on BioTime's YouTube channel, September 8, 2013
- Video: Dr. West interviewed on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" December 8, 2009
- Audio: Dr. West interviewed on Bloomberg Radio's "The Hays Advantage" February 11, 2010
This article is released into the public domain