|Nikola Motor Company (2014-2020) (now name of subsidiary)|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: NKLA|
|Industry||Alternative energy vehicle design and manufacturing|
|Founded||2014in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.|
|Trevor Milton (founder, Executive Chairman)|
Mark Russell (President, CEO)
|Products||Nikola One, Nikola Two, Nikola Tre, Nikola NZT, Nikola Wav, Nikola Badger|
|Subsidiaries||Nikola Motor Company|
Nikola Energy Company
Nikola Corporation is an American alternative energy vehicle design and manufacturing company based in Phoenix, Arizona, where it also has its research and development operations. The company is named after inventor Nikola Tesla.
The company has become controversial on social media, with the founder often lashing out at critics.
Nikola was founded in 2014 in Salt Lake City, Utah. In late November 2018, it announced plans for a Nikola World event for April 16–17, 2019, in nearby Scottsdale, Arizona. The two-day midweek event was to have included a Public Demo Day to show off the Nikola Two truck and the Nikola NZT UTV.[needs update]
In March 2019, Nikola acquired a 389-acre parcel in Coolidge, Arizona, for US$23 million, with future state and local tax breaks. Nikola said in 2019 that they expected the truck factory to start construction in 2020, start building trucks in 2021, and be able to build 35–50,000 trucks per year by 2023.
In March 2020, Nikola announced its plans to merge with VectoIQ Acquisition Corporation (ticker VTIQ) a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company run by former General Motors Co. executive Steve Girsky. This resulted in the combined company being listed on the NASDAQ exchange with the NKLA ticker symbol. Nikola’s stock began trading on June 4, 2020, a day after the merger was completed. By June 9, the shares had more than doubled since they began trading, as investors continued to bet on the growth potential of electric transportation. Nikola executive chairman Trevor Milton tweeted in early June that the company would begin taking reservations for the pickup truck, the Badger, on June 29.[needs update]
Nikola has publicly announced a number of electric vehicle design concepts since 2014, and unveiled a few concept vehicles to the public.
The prototype model,[when?] the Nikola NZT, formerly referred to as the Nikola Zero, is a utility task vehicle (UTV) with 72 or 107 kWh battery. It has 555 hp combined from a motor at each wheel, weighs 3,500 lb (1,600 kg), and uses the same 14.5 in (370 mm) clearance suspension as the Ford Raptor. It has been spun-off into a powersports product, in the Nikola Powersports division.
The company designed[when?] an electric Class 8 truck called the Nikola One, with a 320 kWh EV battery supplying 6 traction electric motors with a combined software-limited 1,000 hp (750 kW) and 2,000 lb⋅ft (2,700 N⋅m) of torque – nearly 86,000 lb⋅ft (117,000 N⋅m) after gear reduction – inspired by electric locomotives. This is sufficient for keeping a speed of 65 mph (105 km/h) with a full load of 80,000 pounds (36 tonnes) on a 6% grade. The energy source is 300 kW hydrogen fuel cells consuming 4.6 kg (10 lb) H2 per 100 km (62 mi) from tanks with 100 kg (220 lb) of hydrogen, giving a range of 1,200 mi (1,900 km). Consumption is equivalent to 15.4 mpg of diesel. The truck has regenerative brakes to supplement the traditional disc brakes, decreasing stopping distance and fuel usage. The hydrogen version was unveiled in December 2016 and was expected to be available by 2019. In some markets, compressed natural gas to power an on-board gas turbine generator may be used instead.
The first 5,000 trucks are to be built by Fitzgerald in Byrdstown, Tennessee; the company is known for its "glider trucks", which are built without engines.
On May 1, 2018, Nikola Motor Company filed a lawsuit against Tesla, Inc. seeking $2 billion in damages alleging that the Tesla Semi infringes on several patents Nikola have been granted on the design of the Nikola One. Tesla has responded that the lawsuit is without merit.
On May 3, 2018, Anheuser-Busch ordered up to 800 of the hydrogen-powered truck versions and Nikola claims the trucks will start being delivered in 2020.
The company has[when?] announced plans to build a hydrogen-powered truck called the Nikola Two, with power and range estimates similar to those of the Nikola One, but without the sleeping compartment found in Nikola One.
In November 2019, the company unveiled the Nikola Tre electric truck, a rebadged version of the Iveco S-Way that would be aimed the European market. The Tre will also be targeted for the Australian and Asian markets. Nikola Motor Company says the Tre will have 500 to 1,000 horsepower and a range of 500 to 1,200 kilometers (310 to 745 miles). CEO Trevor Milton stated that production is set to begin at the same time as the US truck versions, which is 2022–2023.
The Nikola Badger is a hybrid hydrogen/electric pickup truck with an estimated range of 600 miles. This was officially announced 6/8/20.
- Tesla Semi all-electric Class 8 battery powered semi truck tractor unit
- Cummins Aeos battery-electric and diesel range extender Class 7 semi truck tractor unit
- Toyota Project Portal fuel cell Class 8 truck
- Ringle, Hayley (2018-10-19). "Behind the deal: How Nikola Motor steered its trucking technology to Arizona". https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2018/10/19/behind-the-deal-how-nikola-motor-steered-its.html.
- Cao, Sissi (2019-11-23). "Elon Musk Isn’t the Only Electric Futurist Who Wants to Rectify Nikola Tesla’s Legacy". https://observer.com/2019/11/elon-musk-tesla-electric-vehicle-rival-nikola-hydrogen-truck/.
- Kotoky, Anurag (July 3, 2020). "Nikola Founder Channels Elon Musk in Lashing Out at Naysayer Tweets". Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-03/nikola-s-milton-channels-musk-in-lashing-out-at-naysayer-tweets. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- Hsu, Tiffany (2016-12-01). "Nikola One Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Semi-Truck Debuts". https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/01/nikola-one-hydrogen-fuel-cell-electric-semi-truck-debuts.
- Hall-Geisler, Kristen. "Nikola Motor Company unveils its electric (mostly) truck". https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/19/nikola-motor-company-unveils-its-electric-mostly-truck/. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Company Overview of Nikola Motor Company". https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=424281277. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Nikola Corp | Rsvps | Nikola World Public" (in en). https://nikolamotor.com/nikolaworld/public.
- "Nikola World Registration Opens at 9 a.m. on Dec. 3". 2018-11-30. https://www.nbc-2.com/story/39567634/nikola-world-registration-opens-at-9-am-on-dec-3.
- O'Dell, John (25 March 2019). "Nikola Closes Land Deal for Arizona Truck Plant". https://www.trucks.com/2019/03/25/nikola-land-deal-arizona-truck-plant/. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Done Deal: VectoIQ's Merger With Nikola Motor Has Closed" (in en). 2020-06-03. https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/06/03/done-deal-vectoiqs-merger-with-nikola-motor-has-cl.aspx.
- Foldy, Ben (2020-06-09). "Electric-Truck Startup Nikola Bolts Past Ford in Market Value". Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/electric-truck-startup-nikola-bolts-past-ford-in-market-value-11591730357. Retrieved 10 June 2020.
- "Nikola Zero UTV Driving Footage And Launch Videos". http://insideevs.com/nikola-zero-utv-driving-footage-launch-videos/. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Nikola One Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Semi-Truck Debuts". Trucks.com. 1 December 2016. https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/01/nikola-one-hydrogen-fuel-cell-electric-semi-truck-debuts/. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "Dette er bilen som skal ta tungtransporten vekk fra diesel" (in Norwegian). Teknisk Ukeblad. 2 December 2016. http://www.tu.no/artikler/dette-er-bilen-som-skal-ta-tungtransporten-vekk-fra-diesel/365713. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Lambert, Fred (21 November 2017). "We tested an insane electric UTV with more energy capacity than even the most powerful Tesla". https://electrek.co/2017/11/21/nikola-zero-electric-utv-energy-capacity-tesla/.
- "Nikola Powersports". 2016. https://nikolapowersports.com.
- "Nikola One, America's first hydrogen-powered semi, is straight outta the future". Roadshow. CBS Interactive. 2 December 2016. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nikola-one-ev-semi-fuel-cell-hydrogen/. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- on YouTube.
- Lambert, Fred. "Nikola Motor claims it received over 7,000 pre-orders worth over $2.3 billion for its electric truck". http://electrek.co/2016/06/13/nikola-motor-pre-orders-worth-2-billion-electric-truck/. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Lambert, Fred. "Nikola Motor does a 180°, scraps plans for battery-powered truck, turns to hydrogen". Electrek. https://electrek.co/2016/08/30/nikola-motor-one-hydrogen/. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Nikola CEO Milton Explains Hydrogen Fuel Cell Truck Strategy". Trucks.com. 2 December 2016. https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/02/nikola-motor-ceo-hydrogen-fuel-cell-truck/. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- on YouTube.
- O'Kane, Sean (2018-05-01). "Tesla sued for $2 billion by hydrogen truck startup over alleged patent infringement". https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/1/17309430/tesla-lawsuit-nikola-motor-company-patent-trucks. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Anheuser-Busch orders hundreds of hydrogen trucks from zero-emission startup Nikola". May 3, 2018. https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/3/17314606/anheuser-busch-budweiser-hydrogen-trucks-zero-emission-startup-nikola.
- "Nikola & Iveco Partner To Bring The Battery Electric Nikola TRE To The EU" (in en-US). 2019-12-03. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/03/nikola-iveco-partner-to-bring-the-battery-electric-nikola-tre-to-the-eu/.
- Browne, Ryan (November 6, 2018). "Tesla rival Nikola Motor unveils hydrogen-powered truck for Europe". CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/nikola-motor-unveils-hydrogen-powered-truck-tre-for-europe.html. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Ballaban, Michael (November 5, 2018). "The Nikola Tre Is the Not-Tesla Hydrogen Semi that Wants to Take On Europe". Jalopnik. https://jalopnik.com/the-nikola-tre-is-the-not-tesla-hydrogen-semi-that-want-1830224633. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Stumpf, Rob (November 6, 2018). "Nikola Tre Is a Stylish, Hydrogen-Powered Semi Truck Destined for Europe". The Drive. http://www.thedrive.com/news/24715/nikola-tre-is-a-stylish-hydrogen-powered-semi-truck-destined-for-europe. Retrieved November 6, 2018.
- "Nikola Corp | Reckless". https://nikolamotor.com/reckless.
- Business data for Nikola Corporation:
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Nikola Corporation. Read more