London, United Kingdom
|Europe and the UK|
OpenOcean is a pan-European venture capital firm based in Helsinki, Finland, with offices in London and Amsterdam. The firm primarily invests in data-intensive enterprise software companies developed on proprietary technology, and typically leads or co-leads Series A funding rounds with an average investment of around €3 million, and €150 million in assets under management.
The firm was established in 2009 by the founders and early investors of MySQL, Michael "Monty" Widenius, Patrik Backman and Ralf Wahlsten, later joined by former Nokia executive Tom Henriksson. Richard Muirhead joined the OpenOcean general partnership in 2015 after serving as interim CEO at Automic before it was acquired by CA Technologies. He left in 2018 to found Fabric Ventures. In 2019, Ekaterina Almasque joined the OpenOcean general partnership from the investment team at Samsung. OpenOcean's key expertise and investment focuses within data-intensive software are artificial intelligence and machine learning, application-driven infrastructure and development tools, open source software, and automation software.
OpenOcean is an early-stage venture fund with a vertical agnostic approach that focuses on following areas of enterprise software:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Application-driven infrastructure and development tools
- Open-source software
- Automation and recommendation engines
OpenOcean typically leads or co-leads Pre-A or Series A funding rounds in Europe.
Notable investments made by OpenOcean include Bitrise, Thimble, MariaDB, Truecaller, RapidMiner, Platform.sh, EyeEm, Import.io, Nosto, PassFort, Supermetrics, IQM, Leadoo, MindsDB and Sunlight. Their portfolio includes 27 companies.
The OpenOcean general partnership currently consists of five partners:
- Michael "Monty" Widenius, General Partner and Founder of MySQL and MariaDB
- Patrik Backman, General Partner and Co-founder of MariaDB
- Ralf Wahlsten, General Partner and Co-founder of MariaDB
- Ekaterina Almasque, General Partner
- Tom Henriksson, General Partner
The firm employs an additional two investment team members in Helsinki, two in London and one in Amsterdam, as well as three operational and marketing professionals.
- List of venture capital firms
- Tech Crunch: OpenOcean Closes New 100 Million Euro Fund 
- PerfectPitch Blog: VC Investment Thesis, OpenOcean 
- The Register: OpenOcean raises 100 Million Fund
- DataSeries 
- Bloomberg, Jason. "CA Technologies Announces Intent To Acquire Enterprise Automation Leader Automic" (in en). Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbloomberg/2016/12/01/ca-technologies-announces-intent-to-acquire-enterprise-automation-leader-automic/#484e44226993.
- "About Fabric Ventures". https://www.linkedin.com/company/fabricventures/.
- Business Insider: Finnish Startup Raises from OpenOcean 
- OpenOcean team 
- Crunchbase: OpenOcean Portfolio Companies 
- OpenOcean Portfolio