Company:Tribe of Noise
|Type of business||Privately held company|
Type of site
|Social networking service, music websites, music licensing|
|Founded||2008 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)|
|Headquarters||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|Founder(s)||Hessel van Oorschot|
|Products||music: Film music, video game music, production music, soundtrack, theme music, music databases, internet radio, digital curation|
|Website||www.tribeofnoise.com, pro.tribeofnoise.com, instoremusicservice.com|
|Launched||July 14, 2008|
Tribe of Noise BV; An online community for musicians and digital music licensing company based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. At date (11-2017) the music community facilitates roughly 30.000 members from 192 countries. Tribe of Noise operates digital music platforms exploiting curated, pre-priced and pre-licensed songs to media makers and all rights included background music services to businesses.
Tribe of Noise was founded by Sandra Brandenburg and Hessel van Oorschot in 2008. The main objective was to create an open community where independent musicians could share their music legally with businesses and media professionals in return for exposure. Based on the international Creative Commons 3.0 By-Share Alike license a legal framework was developed from scratch.
In 2010 the company was invited by experts in background music services to develop a quality music catalog as part of their in-store background music service. In conjunction with national performance rights organisations and neighbouring rights organisations a legal alternative for royalty managed background music services was launched in the same year.
In 2011 the company launched Tribe of Noise PRO helping media professionals to find, license and download high quality songs as opposed to stock music. The term “all rights included music” was introduced to media professionals and their clients meaning they do not have to pay additional fees to collection societies. An in-house developed Non-Exclusive Exploitation Contract (NEEC) is still the legal base of the Tribe of Noise PRO music licensing business.
In June 2013 the Tribe of Noise music community reached a milestone of 20.000 members.
Early August 2014 the Creative Commons 3.0 By-Share Alike license was updated to the Creative Commons 4.0 By-Share Alike license.
Partnerships (publicly announced)
|Year||Company||Type of partnership|
|2010||Notice Branded Media||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
|2011||Royal Streaming||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
|2012||Getty Images||Global partner and reseller of music licenses|
|2013||KPN||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
|2013||DDJ Retail||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
|2014||Copaco NV||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
|2015||KHN||Strategic partner (white label) in-store music service|
Collection societies / Performance rights organizations
Music tracks uploaded by the original rights holders to Tribe of Noise cannot be registered with performance rights organizations (CISAC) such as Buma/Stemra (NL), PRS (UK), GEMA (DE), ASCAP/BMI (USA), STIM (SE), SGAE (ES) and SACEM (FR). The music is either available under the Creative Commons (3.0) 4.0 By-Share Alike license or a Non-Exclusive Exploitation Contract.
Awards and nominations
- White Bull Awards – Category Young Bull Winner 2011
- Finalist The Next Web Web Paypal X Startup Rally 2010 companies that will shape the next web
- Semi finalist Innovate!100 Worlds most promising Tech start ups 2010
- Runner up Creative Company Amsterdam Award 2009
- Nominated for the Shell LiveWire award 2008
- 5th in the Sprout Challenger Peoples Choice award 2008
- 37th in the BT Digital Music Peoples Choice award 2008 for Best Official Music Site
- "Enlightenment in the Music Industry: Tribe of Noise Launches Lawful Music Download Alternative". Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/2008/07/16/idUS111843+16-Jul-2008+PRN20080716.
- "Company Overview on CrunchBase". CrunchBase. http://www.crunchbase.com/organization/tribe-of-noise.
- "Getty Images and Tribe of Noise partner to help talented artists with new business". Getty Images. 16 Feb 2012. http://media.gettyimages.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=436.
- Peeters, Marieke (15 July 2014). "Copaco biedt 2tTune zakelijke muziekdienst". Copaco.com. http://www.dutchitchannel.nl/dic/2/12779/copaco_biedt_2ttune_zakelijke_muziekdienst.html.
- Press Release (15 December 2015). "Nieuw: KHN Muziek!". KHN.nl. https://www.khn.nl/nieuwsberichten/2015/12/nieuw-khn-muziek.
- Hull, Mindy (5 October 2011). "Tribe of Noise, Young Bull Winner 2011". WhiteBull.com. http://whitebull.com/latest/2011-bully-award-winners.
- de Laive, Patrick (12 April 2010). "Announcing the finalists of The Next Web Paypal X Startup Rally 2010". TheNextWeb.com. https://thenextweb.com/eu/2010/04/12/announcing-finalists-web-paypal-startup-rally-2010/.
- McDonald, Vanessa (6 April 2010). "Tinypay.me Takes Winning Spot at Innovate!2010 Amsterdam Pitch Slam(TM)". PR Newswire / Guidewire Group. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tinypayme-takes-winning-spot-at-innovate2010-amsterdam-pitch-slamtm-90205957.html.
- Tribe of Noise Blog - Official Blog
- Tribe of Noise PRO - Online music licensing platform
- In-store Music Service - Streaming background music service for businesses
- Muziek Online Zakelijk - Cloud music service for businesses by telecom operator KPN
- inBusiness Music - Cloud music service for businesses (KPN Wholesale)
- Muziek voor de Zaak - Cloud music service (Reseller proposition)
- 2tTune - Cloud music service by IT distributor Copaco NV
- KHN Muziek - Cloud music service by trade association KHN (Hospitality)