|Privately held company|
|Founder||Dick and Bobbie Wagner|
|Products||Kit aircraft and aircraft parts|
|Owner||Bill Read and Mary Myers|
The Wag-Aero Group is an United States aircraft manufacturer that was founded by Dick and Bobbie Wagner in the 1960s and is based in Lyons, Wisconsin. The company specializes in the design and manufacture of kit aircraft and aircraft parts for amateur construction.
The company is owned by Bill Read and Mary Myers.
- Aero Fabricators
- Ground Support Manufacturing, Inc
- Leading Edge Air Foils
- Safe Air Repair
- Viking Aero
Wag-Aero was started by Dick and Bobbie Wagner in the 1960s and run from the basement of their home in Lyons, Wisconsin. In 1971 the company moved into permanent quarters and an aerodrome was constructed to accommodate fly-in customers, now known as Wag-Aero Airport (WI92).
The company formed a subsidiary, Aero Fabricators, in the 1970s to make welded and sheet metal aircraft parts, plus seat belts.
On 1 September 1995 the Wagners sold the group of companies to Bill Read and Mary Myers. In 1997 they purchased Viking Aero and in April 2002 acquired Ground Support Manufacturing, Inc. In 2005 they bought Safe Air Repair, a parts manufacturer. Ultralight parts supplier Leading Edge Air Foils (LEAF) was also added to the group.
The Wag-Aero CUBy, a Piper J-3 replica, was designed by Dick Wagner and first flew on 12 March 1975. It is offered in several different models and variants including the Acro Trainer, Observer, Sport Trainer and Super Sport.
|Model name||First flight||Number built||Type|
|Wag-Aero CUBy||12 March 1975||Two seat Piper J-3 replica|
|Wag-Aero Wag-a-Bond||9 June 1978||Two seat Piper PA-17 replica|
|Wag-Aero CHUBy CUBy||8 May 1982||Four seat Piper PA-14 replica|
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, Fifth Edition, pages 289-290, 367-374, 381-396, 401 and 407. BAI Communications, 15 July 1998. ISBN:0-9636409-4-1
- Wag-Aero Group. "A Brief History". http://www.wagaero.com/about.html. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Plane and Pilot: 1978 Aircraft Directory, page 159. Werner & Werner Corp, Santa Monica CA, 1977. ISBN:0-918312-00-0
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 126. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Downey, Julia: 1999 Kit Aircraft Directory, Kitplanes, Volume 15, Number 12, December 1998, page 75-76. Primedia Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- GAN Staff (5 August 2005). "Wag-Aero buys Safe Air Repair". General Aviation News. http://generalaviationnews.com/2005/08/05/wag-aero-buys-safe-air-repair/. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- .airnav.com (5 March 2015). "Wag-Aero Airport, Lyons, Wisconsin, USA". http://www.airnav.com/airport/WI92. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Vandermeullen, Richard: 2011 Kit Aircraft Buyer's Guide, Kitplanes, Volume 28, Number 12, December 2011, page 76. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Wag-Aero. Read more