Text-to-911 is a technology that enables emergency call takers to receive text messages. Its use is encouraged for the hearing impaired and in situations when it is too dangerous to call. As of May 2014, all four major carriers in the United States offered text-to-911. However, as of October 2018, only approximately 1,600 of more than 6,000 emergency call centers were setup to receive texts.
The FCC maintains a registry of areas supporting text-to-911. All carriers are required to send bounce-back messages to inform the sender that the message could not be received if text-to-911 is not supported by the local call center.
The National Association of the Deaf provides a map of states providing text-to-911.
Call centers are usually funded by both state and federal funding. Limited funding and outdated technology have slowed the adoption of text-to-911. Voice-based calls are still preferred and considered the more efficient form of communication. Many cities are concerned about overuse of texting, which may slow response times. Texts to 911 are not prioritized so they may be slow to be delivered.
In August 2009, Waterloo, Iowa was the first county to begin receiving texts to 911.
- 3-1-1, non-emergency number
- 9-1-1 Tapping Protocol
- Emergency medical dispatcher
- Enhanced 9-1-1
- Next Generation 9-1-1
- Reverse 9-1-1
- Tsukayama, Hayley. "What you need to know about texting 911" (in en). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/05/15/what-you-need-to-know-about-texting-911/.
- "Too dangerous to talk? Some cities explore 911 texting". 2016-07-05. https://apnews.com/03aa9a33df3a4de1afcfdcb03ca40400.
- "U.S.’ Text-To-911 Service Goes Live, But You Probably Can’t Use It Yet" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2014/05/15/u-s-s-text-to-911-service-goes-live-but-you-probably-cant-use-it-yet/.
- "Why is it so hard to text 911?". 2018-10-31. https://apnews.com/93b9cf8a789b4a5ea32105d7f2eb6aa7.
- "Text Messaging 911 Takes Effect: What You Need to Know" (in en). https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/text-messaging-911-takes-effect/story?id=23728906.
- "Text to 911: How Often It’s Being Used" (in en-US). https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/investigations/text-to-911-how-often-its-being-used/147462/.
- Staff (2018-06-03). "After 4 years, Indiana embraces text-to-911 in emergencies" (in en-US). https://www.wishtv.com/news/after-4-years-indiana-embraces-text-to-911-in-emergencies/.
- KWQC. "Text 911 now available in Iowa" (in english). https://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Text-911-now-available-in-Iowa-450263933.html.
- "Text-to-911 Available Statewide in Minnesota" (in en). https://www.govtech.com/em/next-gen-911/Text-to-911-Available-Statewide-in-Minnesota.html.
- "National Association of the Deaf - NAD". https://www.nad.org/resources/technology/access-to-911-emergency-services/.
- Svensson, Peter (2009-08-05). "Iowa 911 center is first to accept text messages" (in en). http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32303244/ns/tech_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/iowa-center-first-accept-text-messages/.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Text-to-9-1-1. Read more