Stump socks are tubular medical or clothing accessories with a blind end that are fashioned similar to socks, usually without a heel. They are worn on amputation stumps for a number of reasons. As stump socks are typically worn on body parts that do not contain a foot, their definition is distinct from the average sock type garment. Amputation stumps can be sensitive to cold or heat, particularly as their capacity to regulate tissue congestion is limited. The skin of amputation stumps can be very sensitive to allergic, chemical or mechanical irritation and thus may have to be protected.
There are different types of stump socks, some of which are available individually made to fit, some as industrially manufactured items:
- socks with metal fabric that are worn to reduce phantom sensation or pain
- compression socks that are worn to reduce tissue congestion or swelling
- protective socks or liners that are worn to fit the stump inside a prosthesis
- socks that are worn to keep the stump warm 
- socks or liners that contain skin care products on their inside that are released into the skin 
- Amputee Supplies Prosthetic Sock FAQ
- Engkvist, O.; Wahren, L. K.; Wallin, G.; Torebjrk, E.; Nystrom, B. (1985). "Effects of Regional Intravenous Guanethidine Block in Posttraumatic Cold Intolerance in Hand Amputees. - ENGKVIST et al. 10 (2): 145 - Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume)". Journal of Hand Surgery (Edinburgh, Scotland) (Jhs.sagepub.com) 10 (2): 145–50. doi:10.1016/0266-7681(85)90003-8. PMID 4031591. http://jhs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/10/2/145. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "Elsevier". Archives-pmr.org. http://www.archives-pmr.org/article/S0003-9993(08)01557-8/abstract. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "Pain Relief | Pain Management | Amputee Phantom Limb Pain | Chronic Pain Treatment | Muscle Strains | Delayed On-Set Muscle Soreness | Fibromyalgia". Farabloc.com. http://www.farabloc.com/. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-06. https://web.archive.org/web/20120306210620/http://www.farabloc.com/pdf/BCMJReview01.pdf. Retrieved 2012-06-30. Clement DB, Taunton JE (2001) Alleviation of pain with the use of Farabloc, an electromagnetic shield: A review. BC MEDICAL JOURNAL 43 (10)
- Conine T, Hershler C, Alexander SA, Crisp R (1993) The Efficacy of Farabloc in the Treatment of Phantom Limb Pain. Canadian Journal of Rehabilitation 6(3):155-161
- Amputee Supplies, Inc.. "Buy Amputee stump shrinker socks for BK and AK amputee limb shrinking and swelling. Compressogrip, Juzo, Comfort Prosthetic Manufacturers". Amputeesupplies.com. http://www.amputeesupplies.com/products/fc/ca/prosthetic-stump-shrinkers.html. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- Ossur liners
- Otto Bock liners
- Bev's residual limb covers (aka stump socks) for amputees
- Alpha liners manufactured and sold by OWW are an example for this technology
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Stump sock. Read more