Organization:University of Rojava
Qamishli, Al-Hasakah, Rmelan,
The university was founded in July 2016 with curricula for medicine, engineering, sciences, arts, and humanities. Additionally, the university offers programmes for primary school education and Kurdish literature The university maintains a partnership with Paris 8 University in Saint-Denis, France and California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco . In August, the university opened registration for students in the academic year 2016–2017. An opening ceremony was held on 20 November 2016.
Beginning in October 2017, its second academic year, the university added a jineology programme. 711 students attend the university liberal arts, jineology, petrochemistry, agriculture, fine arts, and pedagogy with courses taught in Kurdish (the primary instructional language), Arabic and English. In 2019, the university also launched a programme for women to learn to overcome sexism within the family and society.
Due to the Turkish invasion and occupation of Afrin many students from the University of Afrin have been allocated seats at the University of Rojava to continue their studies.
Upon visiting the university, David Graeber said that "the idea of the university as it was presented to me is very refreshing".
In 2020, the university moved some of its courses online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- University of Afrin
- Mesopotamian Social Sciences Academy
- "'University of Rojava' to be opened". ANF. 4 July 2016. http://www.anfenglish.com/kurdistan/university-of-rojava-to-be-opened. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Arafat, Hisham (17 April 2017). "Kurds establish university in Rojava amid Syrian instability". Kurdistan24. http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/dfa4b335-fe1c-4a3c-b5b6-7bc5848e9e97/Kurds-establish-university-in-Rojava-amid-Syrian-instability. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Rojava university seeks to eliminate constraints on education in Syria’s Kurdish region". ARA News. 15 August 2016. http://aranews.net/2016/08/rojava-university-seeks-eliminate-constraints-education-syrias-kurdish-region/.
- "First university of Rojava opens in Qamishlo". ANF. 20 November 2016. http://www.anfenglish.com/kurdistan/first-university-of-rojava-opens-in-qamishlo.
- "The University of Rojava starts Jineology programme". ANF. 14 October 2017. https://anfenglish.com/women/the-university-of-rojava-starts-jineology-programme-22681.
- "University of Rojava: its faculties students, teachers’ number". ANHA. 7 December 2017. http://en.hawarnews.com/university-of-rojava-its-faculties-students-teachers-number.
- staff, T. O. I.. "Amid ongoing regional strife, Kurdish women battle for equal rights at home" (in en-US). https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-ongoing-regional-strife-kurdish-women-battle-for-equal-rights-at-home/.
- "Afrin University students continuing their studies at Rojava's University". Hawar News Agency. 29 June 2018. https://www.hawarnews.com/en/haber/afrin-university-students-continuing-their-studies-at-rojavas-university-h2239.html.
- ""The education system of Rojava is a rebirth"". 27 April 2018. https://anfenglish.com/rojava/the-education-system-of-rojava-is-a-rebirth-26319.
- "Syrian Kurdish administration starts online education during anti-coronavirus curfew". https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/d5485b5a-ed6a-4263-acd1-26ec72fe7651.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ University of Rojava. Read more