Philosophy:Leonardo (Italian magazine)
|First issue||January 1903|
Leonardo was a philosophy magazine published in the early twentieth century in Florence, Italy, between 1903 and 1907. It was one of the publications started by Giovanni Papini and contributed by Giuseppe Prezzolini. The magazine is also one of the periodicals which contributed to the cultural basis of the early forms of Fascism.
History and profile
Leonardo was started in Florence in January 1903. One of its founders was Giovanni Papini who also edited the magazine. It came out irregularly. Significant contributors included Giuseppe Prezzolini, Mario Calderoni, Giuseppe Antonio Borgese, Emilio Cecchi and Giovanni Amendola who also financed the magazine which featured articles on philosophical reviews and also, on literature and arts.
The front page of the first issue contained a synthetic program which indicated the stance of the contributors, namely personalism and idealism. They regarded themselves as being superior to any system and to every limit. In addition, the magazine frequently covered articles attacking positivism, particularly during the early years. Official philosophical stance of the magazine appeared to be pragmatism at the end of the first year of existence.
- Historical Dictionary of Modern Italy. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press. 2007. p. 356. ISBN 978-0-8108-6428-3. https://books.google.com/books?id=XQCyAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA356.
- Maciej Urbanowski (2011). "Stanisław Brzozowski and fascism". Studies in East European Thought 63: 308. doi:10.1007/s11212-011-9152-0.
- Anna Baldini (2018). "Allies and Enemies: Periodicals as Instruments of Conflict in the Florentine Avant-garde (1903–15)". Journal of European Periodical Studies 3 (1): 7-11. doi:10.21825/jeps.v3i1.8103.
- Carlo L. Golino (March 1955). "Giovanni Papini and American Pragmatism". Italica 35 (1): 39-40,43. doi:10.2307/477175.
- E. Paul Colella (2005). "Reflex Action and the Pragmatism of Giovanni Papini". The Journal of Speculative Philosophy 19 (3): 191,195,211. doi:10.1353/jsp.2005.0018.
- William James (21 June 1906). "G. Papini and the Pragmatist Movement in Italy". The Journal of Philosophy, Psychology and Scientific Methods 3 (13): 337. doi:10.2307/2011869.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo (Italian magazine). Read more