Physics:Journal of Alloys and Compounds
|Edited by||L. Schultz|
|Journal of the Less-Common Metals|
|ISO 4||J. Alloys Compd.|
The Journal of Alloys and Compounds is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering experimental and theoretical approaches to materials problems that involve compounds and alloys. It is published by Elsevier and the editor-in-chief is L. Schultz (TU Dresden). It was the first journal established to focus specifically on a group of inorganic elements.
The journal was established by William Hume-Rothery in 1958 as the Journal of the Less-Common Metals, focussing on the chemical elements in the rows of the periodic table for the Actinide and Lanthanide series. The lanthanides are sometimes referred to as the rare earths. The journal was not strictly limited to articles about those specific elements: it also included papers about the preparation and use of other elements and alloys.
The journal developed out of an international symposium on metals and alloys above 1200°C which Hume-Rothery organized at Oxford University on September 17-18, 1958. The conference included more than 100 participants from several countries. The papers presented at the symposium "The study of metals and alloys above 1200°C" were published as volume 1 of the journal. It was the first journal dealing specifically with a category of inorganic elements.
The title of "Less-Common Metals" was something of a misnomer, since these metals are actually found fairly commonly, but in small amounts. The journal obtained its current name in 1991 and is considered a particularly rich source of information on hydrogen-metal systems.
In 2017, Elsevier was reported to be retracting 3 papers from the journal, which was one of several to be affected by falsified reviews, which led to a broader discussion of the processes for reviewing journal articles.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- Science Citation Index
- Stankus, Tony (1992). Making Sense of Journals in the Physical Sciences: From Specialty Origins to Contemporary Assortment (Monograph Supplement , No 7). Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press. pp. 55–56. ISBN 9781560241805. https://books.google.com/books?id=xeBbM8Q-EqoC&pg=PA55.
- Raub, E. (July 1984). "A note on the origins of volume 1 of the Journal of the less-common metals". Journal of the Less Common Metals 100: iv–vi. doi:10.1016/0022-5088(84)90048-1.
- "Rare Earth Metals Not So Rare but Valuable". November 4, 2008. https://seekingalpha.com/article/103972-rare-earth-metals-not-so-rare-but-valuable. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Adams, John W.; Iberall, Eleanora R. (1973). Bibliography of the Geology and Mineralogy of the Rare Earths and Scandium to 1971. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off.. p. XXI. https://books.google.com/books?id=60JSAQAAMAAJ&pg=PR21. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- Yürüm, Yuda (1995). Hydrogen energy system : production and utilization of hydrogen and future aspects. Kluwer Academic Publishers. pp. 139–140. ISBN 978-0792336013. https://books.google.com/books?id=L6z9CAAAQBAJ&pg=PA140. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Elsevier retracting 26 papers accepted because of fake reviews". December 21, 2017. https://retractionwatch.com/2017/12/21/elsevier-retracting-26-papers-accepted-fake-reviews/. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "After Elsevier knew an author faked reviews, it kept accepting his papers for more than a year". January 4, 2018. https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/04/elsevier-knew-author-faked-reviews-kept-accepting-papers-year/. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Cann, David P.; Blanford, Christopher F. (19 December 2017). "The power of suggestion: should authors nominate peer reviewers?". Journal of Materials Science 53 (7): 4705–4708. doi:10.1007/s10853-017-1931-7.
- Chawla, Dalmeet Singh (16 March 2018). "Iranian peer-review incident condemned". Physics World. https://physicsworld.com/a/iranian-peer-review-incident-condemned/. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "CAS Source Index". Chemical Abstracts Service. American Chemical Society. http://cassi.cas.org/search.jsp. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. http://mjl.clarivate.com/. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Source details: Journal of Alloys and Compounds". Scopus preview. Elsevier. https://www.scopus.com/sourceid/12325. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Journal of Alloys and Compounds". 2018 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2019.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Journal of Alloys and Compounds. Read more