|Source model||Closed source|
|Official website||Cisco NX-OS|
NX-OS is a network operating system for the Nexus-series Ethernet switches and MDS-series Fibre Channel storage area network switches made by Cisco Systems. It evolved from the Cisco operating system SAN-OS, originally developed for its MDS switches.
Recent NX-OS has both Cisco-style CLI and Bash shell available. On NX-OS 7.0(3)I3, the output from
uname with the
-a command line argument might look like the text below:
$ uname -a Linux version 3.4.91-WR22.214.171.124_standard+ (divvenka@sjc-ads-7035) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Wind River Linux Sourcery CodeBench 4.6-60) ) #1 SMP Tue Feb 6 12:43:13 PST 2018
- System Manager (sysmgr)
- Persistent Storage Service (PSS)
- Message & Transaction Services (MTS)
- Fibre Channel and FICON
- FCoE (Nexus 5000/7000 linecards)
- NPIV NX Port ID Virtualization
- Inter–VSAN Routing
- Zoning (Hard zoning)
- Cisco Fabric Services (distributed configuration)
- SSH and Telnet
- Storage Media Encryption
- Port Channels
- Cisco Data Mobility Manager
- Fibre Channel Write Acceleration
Switches running NX-OS
- Nexus B22 (HP, Dell, Fujitsu)
- Nexus 9000 series
- Nexus 7700 series
- Nexus 7000 series
- Nexus 6000 series
- Nexus 5000 series
- Nexus 4000 (for IBM BladeCenter)
- Nexus 2000 series
- Nexus 3000
- Nexus 1000V
- MDS 9700 FC Directors
- MDS 9500 FC Directors
- MDS 9250i FC Switch
- MDS 9222i FC Switch
- MDS 9100 FC Switches
Differences between IOS and NX-OS
This section possibly contains original research. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- NX-OS does not support the login command to switch users.
- NX-OS does not distinguish between standard or extended access lists, all lists are named and "extended" in functionality.
- NX-OS did not support scp server prior to 5.1(1) release.
- In NX-OS, there is no "write" command to save the configuration like on IOS (one uses the "copy" command, instead). Instead, command aliases can be created to provide the "write" command.
- When accessing NX-OS, users authenticate directly to their assigned privilege level.
- SSH server is enabled while Telnet server is disabled by default in NX-OS.
4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 9.2, 9.3, 10.1
- "Cisco NX-OS Software: Business-Critical Cross-Platform Data Center OS". August 10, 2014. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/white_paper_c11-622511_ps9372_Products_White_Paper.html.
- Lewis, Mark (April 12, 2008). "Nexus: Hands on with NX-OS, Part#1". http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26877.
- Cisco Product Brocuhure Cisco MDS 9500 Series of Multilayer Directors, visited 18 May 2012
- "Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS Security Configuration Guide, Release 4.1". http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_1/nx-os/security/configuration/guide/sec_ipacls.html.
- "Cisco NX-OS/IOS Configuration Fundamentals Comparison". http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_NX-OS/IOS_Configuration_Fundamentals_Comparison.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Cisco NX-OS. Read more