Figure 1 is a Toronto, Ontario-based online social networking service for healthcare professionals to post and comment on medical images.
Figure 1 was founded in Toronto by Dr. Joshua Landy, Richard Penner and Gregory Levey. The platform launched in North America in May 2013 and is now available in more than 100 countries.
The privately held company reports more than 1 million healthcare professionals use its app and website.
In 2013, Figure 1 launched with $2 million (CDN) in seed money, with Rho Canada Ventures and Version One Ventures led the investment.
This brings the total round to $9 million (USD).
Figure 1's content has been characterized as "gruesome".
The app's founder said the "very colorful images" are what medics see every day. "It's a transparent view into a world you rarely get to see," he told the BBC.
When the company launched in Europe in 2014, privacy concerns were raised over the sharing of personal medical information. The app has a built-in consent form which every patient signs via a smartphone, as well as tools make it easy to anonymize an image.
Before the company launched in 2013, it claimed that 13 percent of medical professionals were already using their smartphones to share images with one another via email or text message.
- "Figure 1 (@Figure1) | Twitter". https://twitter.com/Figure1. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "Like Instagram for doctors, Figure 1 app now has 500,000 users". https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/like-instagram-for-doctors-figure-1-app-now-has-500000-users/article26374609/. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- SILCOFF, SEAN (12 April 2016). "'Instagram for doctors' Figure 1 reaches a million users, adds messaging tool". https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/startups/instagram-for-doctors-adds-messaging-tool-after-reaching-a-million-users/article29589235/. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Kolodny, Lora (2013-12-09). "Medicine’s Answer to Instagram, Figure 1, Raises C$2M". https://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2013/12/09/medicines-answer-to-instagram-figure-1-raises-c2m/. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- "The Daily Startup: Figure 1 Snaps Up $5 Million for Medical Image-Sharing App". 2015-10-14. https://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2015/10/14/the-daily-startup-figure-1-snaps-up-5-million-for-medical-image-sharing-app/. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "I'm addicted to the gruesome and beautiful photos on this Instagram for doctors". https://www.theverge.com/2015/4/6/8341217/figure-1-medical-images-sharing-app. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- "'Instagram for doctors' to be launched in Europe - BBC News". https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29521986. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- Reynaud, Florian. "Aux Etats-Unis, les médecins ont leur propre Instagram pour s’entraider" (in fr). Le Monde.fr. ISSN 1950-6244. http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2015/10/23/aux-etats-unis-les-medecins-ont-leur-propre-instagram-pour-s-entraider_4795879_4408996.html.
- Birchard, Karen (2013-09-03). "Canadian medical image app number one in the US". Canadian Medical Association Journal 185 (12): E569-E569. doi:10.1503/cmaj.109-4527. ISSN 0820-3946. PMID 23857853. PMC 3761029. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/185/12/E569.
- "Instagram for doctors: How one app is solving medical mysteries". https://www.vox.com/2014/9/7/6111685/instagram-for-doctors-figure-1-app. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- "Toronto-made app helps doctors learn MERS symptoms". http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-made-app-helps-doctors-learn-mers-symptoms-1.2647494. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Figure 1. Read more