The Dark Overlord (hackers)
The Dark Overlord (also known as the TDO) is an international hacker organization which garners significant publicity through cybercrime extortion of high-profile targets and public demands for ransom to prevent the release of confidential or potentially embarrassing documents.
The group gained its initial notoriety through the sale of stolen medical records on TheRealDeal, a darkweb marketplace. Major targets for the group included the extortion of Netflix, which resulted in the leak of unreleased episodes of the series “Orange Is the New Black,” and Disney.
In 2017, the group broke its trend of hacking and extortion, and began a series of terror-based attacks starting with the Columbia Falls school district in Montana. The group sent life-threatening text messages to students and their parents, demanding payment to prevent the murder of children. These attacks forced the closure of more than 30 schools across multiple school districts, resulting in more than 15,000 students being home from school for an entire week. During a senate committee hearing Senator Steve Daines (MO) referred to these attacks as "unprecedented", .
On December 31, 2018, TDO announced the Lloyd's of London and Silverstein Properties "9/11 Papers" hack on Twitter, with thousands of incriminating documents to be released in stages unless US$2,000.000 in bitcoin were paid. TDOL was subsequently banned from many social media platforms including Twitter, Reddit, Pastebin and Steemit. Platforms unrelated to TDOL such as www.hpub.org also had their social media accounts eliminated or followers deleted for serving as mirrors of TDOL hacked documents. As of January 12, 2019, the bitcoin blockchain explorer revealed that less than 1% of the ransom had been paid and the payment sources may have been 9/11 researchers, not the targets of the hack. As a result, TDOL continues to release encrypted files and their private keys to the public in stages. It remains to be seen whether the documents contain anything that could challenge the official account of 9/11.
Nathan Wyatt, a member of “The Dark Overlord” hacking group was extradited from the UK to the US in December 2019 to face charges in St. Louis for his involvement in The Dark Overlord group. According to the charges, Wyatt "conspired to steal sensitive personally identifying information from victim companies and release those records on criminal marketplaces unless victims paid Bitcoin ransoms. 
- September 11 attacks
- "The Dark Overlord was recruiting employees and looking for attention before 9/11 data dump". https://www.cyberscoop.com/dark-overlord-recruiting-employees-looking-attention-911-data-dump/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Whittaker, Zack. "A hacker is advertising millions of stolen health records on the dark web" (in en). https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-advertising-huge-health-insurance-database/.
- Storm, Darlene (2016-06-27). "Hacker selling 655,000 patient records from 3 hacked healthcare organizations" (in en). https://www.computerworld.com/article/3088907/hacker-selling-655-000-patient-records-from-3-hacked-healthcare-organizations.html.
- "cybersecurity hacking". axios. https://www.axios.com/cybersecurity-hacking-cyber-crimes-dark-overlord-5ef60968-5803-4e33-bba6-91000d606e57.html. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Newman, Lily Hay (2017-05-18). "High-Profile Extortion Hacks Aren't Paying Off". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. https://www.wired.com/2017/05/high-profile-extortion-hacks-arent-paying-off/.
- Graham, Taylor (2017-09-19). "Flathead hackers found to have...". https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/flathead-hackers-found-to-have-history-of-cyber-attacks.
- "“Ransom note” released after cyber-threats to Montana schools" (in en-US). https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ransom-note-released-after-cyber-threats-to-montana-schools/.
- Cox, Joseph (2017-10-05). "‘Dark Overlord’ Hackers Text Death Threats to Students, Then Dump Voicemails From Victims" (in en). The Daily Beast. https://www.thedailybeast.com/dark-overlord-hackers-text-death-threats-to-students-then-dump-voicemails-from-victims.
- "ndex: Hacker group releases ‘9/11 Papers’, says future leaks will ‘burn down’ US deep state". HuffpoClub. https://hpub.org/article-70114//. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "The Dark Overlord Hackers Threaten To Release TOP SECRET Files of 9/11 Litigation Unless Paid In Bitcoin". HuffpoClub. https://hpub.org/article-70106//. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Hacker Group Dark Overlord Threatens to Dump Insurance Files Related to 9/11 Attacks". HuffpoClub. https://hpub.org/article-70038//. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "9/11 Papers Megalink". Busy.org. https://busy.org/@thedarkoverlord/9-11-papers-megaleak-layer-2-checkpoint-08-cyber-cash-for-cyber-cache. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Steemit Bans Dark Overlord, Raises Concerns over Censorship". BTC Manager. https://btcmanager.com/steemit-ban-censorship-the-dark-overlaord/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "ndex: 9/11 Docs Drop From Dark Overloard". HuffpoClub. https://hpub.org/article-70041/. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Checkpoint 8". Anonfiles. https://anonfiles.com/ebVdf4q9bf/Checkpoint_08_zip. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Darkoverlord Banned". heavy.com. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/the-dark-overlord-update-banned-steemit-twitter-reddit/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "'The Dark Overlord' hacking group member facing charges in St. Louis". https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/dark-overlord-hacking-group-st-louis-charges/63-4d5d3463-3b32-432c-afbf-e329907a1900.
- Goodin, Dan (2019-12-19). "Dark Overlord taunted, threatened, and extorted. Now alleged member is behind bars" (in en-us). https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/12/alleged-member-of-prolific-dark-overlord-hacking-group-extradited-to-the-us/.
- "Member of “The Dark Overlord” Hacking Group Extradited From United Kingdom to Face Charges in St. Louis" (in en). 2019-12-18. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/member-dark-overlord-hacking-group-extradited-united-kingdom-face-charges-st-louis.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ The Dark Overlord (hackers). Read more