|Developer(s)||World Wide Web Consortium|
|Introduced||January 23, 2018|
ActivityPub is an open, decentralized social networking protocol based on Pump.io's ActivityPump protocol. It provides a client/server API for creating, updating, and deleting content, as well as a federated server-to-server API for delivering notifications and content.
ActivityPub is a standard for the Internet in the Social Web Networking Group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). At an earlier stage, the name of the protocol was "ActivityPump", but it was felt that ActivityPub better indicated the cross-publishing purpose of the protocol. It learned from the experiences with the older standard called OStatus.
Federated (server-to-server) protocol
- Friendica, a piece of social networking software, implemented ActivityPub in version 2019.01.
- Mastodon, a piece of social networking software, implemented ActivityPub in version 1.6, released on 10 September 2017. It is intended that ActivityPub offers more security for private messages than the previous OStatus protocol does.
- Nextcloud, a federated service for file hosting.
- PeerTube, a federated service for video streaming.
- Mobilizon, a federated service enabling to create groups, public pages and events.
- Activity Streams
- Comparison of software and protocols for distributed social networking
- Comparison of microblogging services
- "Sandstorm and the Social Web". 29 May 2016. https://zenhack.net/2016/05/29/sandstorm-and-the-social-web.html.
- Holloway, James (18 September 2018). "What on Earth is the fediverse and why does it matter?". https://newatlas.com/what-is-the-fediverse/56385/.
- "W3C Recommendation 23 January 2018". https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/REC-activitypub-20180123/.
- "ActivityPub Conf 2020". https://conf.activitypub.rocks.
- "ActivityPub Conf 2019". https://redaktor.me/apconf/.
- Tilley, Sean (23 September 2017). "A quick guide to The Free Network". https://medium.com/we-distribute/a-quick-guide-to-the-free-network-c069309f334.
- "Friendica 2019.01 released". https://friendi.ca/2019/01/21/friendica-2019-01-released/.
- "Server-Server - ActivityPub implementation reports". https://activitypub.rocks/implementation-report/.
- Wallen, Jack (22 January 2019). "Nextcloud Social is a promising collaborative feature". https://www.techrepublic.com/article/nextcloud-social-is-a-promising-collaborative-feature/.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActivityPub. Read more