Peter Andrew Comensoli (born 25 March 1964) is an Australian prelate of the Catholic Church, who was named the ninth Archbishop of Melbourne on 29 June 2018. He had been serving as the third Bishop of Broken Bay in New South Wales from December 2014. From 2011 to 2014 he was an auxiliary bishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney.
Comensoli studied at St Paul's (now Holy Spirit) College, Bellambi, New South Wales, and studied commerce at the University of Wollongong while working for four years in the banking sector before switching to theology.
Comensoli entered St Patrick's Seminary in 1986 and obtained a Bachelor of Theology degree in 1989 and a Bachelor of Sacred Theology degree in 1991 from the Catholic Institute of Sydney. He was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Wollongong in 1992 by William Edward Murray. Comensoli obtained a Licentiate in Sacred Theology from the Alphonsian Academy in Rome in 2000, a Master of Letters degree in moral philosophy from the University of St Andrews in 2007 and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in theological ethics from the University of Edinburgh in 2010.
Comensoli was appointed an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Sydney and titular bishop of Tigisis in Numidia by Pope Benedict XVI on 20 April 2011. He was consecrated as a bishop by Cardinal George Pell at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney on 8 June 2011, becoming Australia's youngest bishop.
On 27 February 2014, Comensoli was appointed by Pope Francis as aqpostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of Sydney following Cardinal George Pell's appointment as prefect of the newly formed Secretariat for the Economy. On 18 September 2014, Pope Francis appointed Anthony Fisher the new Archbishop of Sydney, and Comensoli remained the apostolic administrator until Fisher's installation on 12 November.
After personally vouching for George Pell by signing a letter of support in 2015 ahead of the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Sexual Abuse, describing him as a "man of integrity", Comensoli still to this day considers Pell a personal friend despite his later conviction as a child sex offender. Comensoli has stated that he would not break the seal of confession for confessions which include admissions of sexual abuse .
- Hasham, Nicole (20 April 2011). "Father Peter Comensoli answers higher call". Illawarra Mercury (Wollongong, NSW). http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/635534/father-peter-comensoli-answers-higher-call/. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Bishop expects 30 years of hard work". The Australian (Surry Hills, NSW). 9 June 2011. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/bishop-expects-30-years-of-hard-work/story-e6frg6nf-1226072011345. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Rinunce e nomine". Vatican Press Office. 20 November 2014. http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2014/11/20/0865/01864.html. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Moral Theologian Named Auxiliary Bishop for Sydney". Zenit. 20 April 2011. http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/moral-theologian-named-auxiliary-bishop-for-sydney. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Apostolic Administrator for the Archdiocese of Sydney". Archdiocese of Sydney. 27 February 2014. http://www.sydneycatholic.org/news/latest_news/2014/2014227_469.shtml.
- "ACBC congratulates Bishop Peter Comensoli on Sydney Appointment" (Press release). Australian Catholic Bishops' Conference. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Blackburn, Richard (18 September 2014). "Catholic Church names Bishop Anthony Fisher as Cardinal George Pell's successor". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/catholic-church-names-bishop-anthony-fisher-as-cardinal-george-pells-successor-20140918-10j15o.html. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Australian bishop entrusts diocese to Mary, Star of the Sea at Installation". Catholic News Agency. 13 December 2014. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/australian-bishop-entrusts-diocese-to-mary-star-of-the-sea-at-installation-33966. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Fox Koob, Simone. "Bishop Peter Comensoli to be the next Archbishop of Melbourne". Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/bishop-peter-comensoli-to-be-the-next-archbishop-of-melbourne-20180629-p4zonx.html. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Brolly, Mark (29 June 2018). "Bishop Peter Comensoli appointed Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne". The Tablet. http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/9329/bishop-peter-comensoli-appointed-catholic-archbishop-of-melbourne. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Melbourne's new Archbishop installed". Special Broadcasting Service. 1 August 2018. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/melbourne-s-new-archbishop-installed. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Deery, Shannon (3 June 2015). "Pell ‘a man of integrity with a big heart’" (in en). https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/australian-archbishops-write-open-letter-to-support-cardinal-george-pell-a-man-of-integrity/news-story/c257890a6a47f21812c203d5c659b9c2. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Archbishop of Melbourne says George Pell remains a friend, apologises to abuse victims" (in en). 26 February 2019. https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/archbishop-of-melbourne-says-george-pell-remains-a-friend-apologises-to-abuse-victims-20190227-p510hu.html. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Melbourne Catholic Archbishop Peter Comensoli would choose jail over breaking confessional seal" (in en). 14 August 2019. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-14/melbourne-catholic-archbishop-petrer-comensoli-on-confessional/11409944. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "Most Rev Peter A Comensoli". http://www.sydneycatholic.org/people/bishop_peter_comensoli/.
- "Biography of Archbishop Peter Andrew Comensoli". https://www.cam.org.au/Archbishop/Biography. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
|Catholic Church titles|
Aldo Maria Lazzarín Stella
|— TITULAR —
Titular Bishop of Tigisis in Numidia
Denis Jean-Marie Jachiet
| Bishop of Broken Bay
Denis James Hart
| Roman Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter Comensoli was the original source. Read more.