|Headquarters||London , UK|
New York City , USA
|Colin Roy (Chair) |
Javier Cavada (CEO)
Highview Power is a long-duration energy storage pioneer, specialising in cryogenic energy storage. It is based in the United Kingdom and the United States . It has permission for a commercial-scale 50 Megawatt/250 Megawatt-hour plant in England, building upon its earlier 5 Megawatt and 350 Kilowatt pilot plants. It plans to develop a 50MW plant/400MWh (eight hours of storage) in Vermont.
Its CRYOBattery™ technology uses low-cost electricity to cool air to -196 °C, reducing it to a liquid 1/700th the volume. At times of high demand for electricity, when prices are typically high, the liquid is expanded through a turbine to generate electricity, free of combustion and the resultant emissions. The process can utilise waste heat and waste cold to boost efficiency. The system utilises standard equipment from sectors like Liquified Natural Gas and, unlike short-duration energy storage technologies (like thermochemical batteries), doesn't require mining for, or complex recycling of, rare minerals.
- Ashden Award for Energy Innovation
- Global Frost & Sullivan Award for Technology Innovation
- The Engineer Innovation Award
- Centre for Cryogenic Energy Storage, University of Birmingham
- University of Brighton
- University of Leeds
- "Highview". https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/highview. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Bounds, Andy. "World’s first liquid air energy storage plant opens near Manchester". Nikkei inc. https://www.ft.com/content/fa755eec-67e3-11e8-b6eb-4acfcfb08c11. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Evans-Pritchard, Ambrose (21 October 2019). "Cheap energy storage for renewables in sight as Highview Power launches five UK plants". The Telegraph. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/10/21/cheap-energy-storage-renewables-sight-highview-power-launches/. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Stubbe, Richard. "Highview Power CEO Cavada Ready to Fill Energy Gap". Bloomberg. https://about.bnef.com/blog/highview-power-ceo-cavada-ready-fill-energy-gap-qa/. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Jasi, Amanda. "Highview Power to build Europe’s largest battery storage system". Institution of Chemical Engineers. https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/highview-power-to-build-europe-s-largest-battery-storage-system/. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Bowman, Andrew. "UK warms to cryogenic energy stores". Nikei inc. https://www.ft.com/content/9a6de836-cf8e-11e2-be7b-00144feab7de. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Casey, Tina. "Coal-killing Long-duration Energy Storage for Vermont". https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/22/coal-killing-long-duration-energy-storage-for-vermont-vermont/.
- Fialka, John. "To Store Renewable Energy, Try Freezing Air". Springer Nature. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/to-store-renewable-energy-try-freezing-air/. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- "£8 million boost for energy storage innovation". HM Government. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/8-million-boost-for-energy-storage-innovation. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Sanderson, Henry. "Sumitomo Heavy Industries invests $46m in liquid air battery start-up". Nikkei. https://www.ft.com/content/5ae49f56-57b4-11ea-abe5-8e03987b7b20. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- Cogley, Michael. "London liquid air start-up lands £35m Sumitomo investment". Telegraph Media Group. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/02/25/london-liquid-air-start-up-lands-35m-sumitomo-investment/. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- Spector, Julian. "Sumitomo Buys Large Stake in Energy Storage Specialist Highview Power". Greentech Media. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/02/25/london-liquid-air-start-up-lands-35m-sumitomo-investment/. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Highview Power to build Europe's largest energy storage plant". University of Birmingham. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/energy/news/2019/highview-power-to-build-large-energy-storage-plant.aspx. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "Electrical energy can be captured as liquid air". The Economist. https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2019/11/30/electrical-energy-can-be-captured-as-liquid-air. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- She, Xiaohui; Peng, Xiaodong; Nie, Binjian; Leng, Guanghui; Zhang, Xiaosong; Weng, Likui; Tong, Lige; Zheng, Lifang et al. (November 2017). "Enhancement of round trip efficiency of liquid air energy storage through effective utilization of heat of compression". Applied Energy 206: 1632–1642. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.09.102.
- She, Xiaohui; Peng, Xiaodong; Zhang, Tongtong; Cong, Lin; Ding, Yulong (February 2019). "Preliminary study of Liquid Air Energy Storage integrated with LNG cold recovery". Energy Procedia 158: 4903–4908. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2019.01.702.
- Harrabin, Roger. "How liquid air could help keep the lights on". BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50140110. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "Ashden Winners". Ashden. https://www.ashden.org/winners/highview-power. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "Frost & Sullivan Applauds Highview Power's Technological Expertise...". Cision. https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/frost--sullivan-applauds-highview-powers-technological-expertise-in-developing-the-innovative-laes-solution-for-the-large-scale-energy-storage-market-503675011.html. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Nathan, Stuart. "Highview Power to build Europe’s largest energy storage plant". https://www.theengineer.co.uk/highview-power-energy-storage/. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "University research to develop technologies which could transform electricity system". University of Birmingham. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2013/07/17-jul-13-new-centre-for-cryogenic-energy-storage.aspx. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "World first – storing energy in liquid air". University of Brighton. https://www.brighton.ac.uk/about-us/news-and-events/news/2018/06-12-world-first-%E2%80%93-storing-energy-in-liquid-air.aspx. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "Liquid Air Energy Storage at city scale". University of Leeds. http://sure-infrastructure.leeds.ac.uk/c-madens/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2014/04/20160115-Highview.pdf. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "The 2011 Energy & Environment Winner". https://www.theengineer.co.uk/the-2011-energy-environment-winner-ces/. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Owen-Jones, Jemima. "Citec to provide engineering for Highview Power...". https://www.gasworld.com/citec-to-provide-engineering-for-highview-powers-cryogenic-storage-systems/2016283.article. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Khan, Sania. "Highview Power signs contract with Tenaska for storage projects in Texas". S&P Global. https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/lkwccgezqmwz5joqfkdsgw2. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Highview Power. Read more