Company:SAP HANA Cloud
SAP HANA Cloud is an in-memory cloud database as a service (DBaaS) developed and marketed by SAP SE. Its primary functions include data and application integration, data warehousing, business intelligence and analytics, and extension and customization of operational and analytic applications.
SAP HANA Cloud is a cloud-native data management system built on SAP HANA.It is a fully managed cloud DBaaS with in-memory storage and column-oriented management. It enables users to build apps, store company data, and access information in a centralized location, and carries out predictive analytical tasks such as text analysis, graph data analysis, and spatial data analysis.
SAP HANA Cloud uses in-memory database technology to process large amounts of real-time data from relational databases. The in-memory computing engine allows SAP HANA Cloud to process data stored in RAM rather than reading it from a disk, meaning that the data can be accessed in real time by the applications using SAP HANA Cloud.
The predecessors of SAP HANA Cloud, which is a cloud-native solution, include:
- SAP HANA
- SAP HANA service on the SAP Cloud Platform Neo environment
- SAP HANA service on the SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry environment
SAP HANA service was established later, and allowed users to consume SAP HANA databases from their applications running on cloud platforms via Java APIs and other application runtime environments. In 2018 SAP introduced HANA service on SAP Cloud Platform Neo environment. It was an SAP-proprietary platform for developing cloud applications based on SAP Cloud Platform, and was used to develop Java, SAP HANA XS, and HTML5 applications. Finally, SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry environment contained the Cloud Foundry Application Runtime, based on the open-source application platform that supported multi-cloud environments.
In 2020, SAP released their next-generation cloud portfolio SAP Business Technology Platform, which included SAP HANA Cloud as the core DBaaS offering, SAP Data Warehouse Cloud as the analytic database and self-service visualization offering, and SAP Analytics Cloud as the self-service business intelligence visualization offering. SAP HANA Cloud is a cloud database management system that evolved out of the SAP HANA on-premise data management platform. It was developed to be SAP's DBaaS offering and was built for the cloud.
SAP HANA Cloud was created to add increased flexibility and scalability to the original SAP HANA database. Like previous iterations, SAP HANA Cloud has an in-memory capability that integrates online analytical processing systems and online transaction processing systems into one system, and the data is stored in the main memory rather than on disks. The main difference between SAP HANA Cloud and its previous iterations is that it's cloud-native.
The two components of SAP HANA Cloud are SAP HANA Cloud, SAP HANA database and SAP HANA Cloud, data lake.
SAP HANA Cloud, SAP HANA database
The SAP HANA Cloud, SAP HANA database consists of application development capabilities, smart multi-model processing abilities, data virtualization, and database management tools. It supports blended transactional and analytical workloads with built-in machine learning capabilities.
It is an in-memory database management system that contains an optimized compressed column structure maintained in main memory. It is used for transaction processing and conventional relational tables, in addition to a variety of other data formats.
SAP HANA Cloud, data lake
SAP HANA Cloud, data lake is a repository for data. It is used to store and analyze data at a petabyte scale that can be accessed using SQL commands. It is a relational data lake but it also holds non-relational data.
It is composed of Data Lake Relational Engine and data lake files. Data Lake Relational Engine provides analysis for large volumes of relational data and data lake files provide managed access to structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data stored as files. SAP HANA Cloud, data lake is a fully integrated part of SAP HANA Cloud and shares common security and tooling with all SAP HANA Cloud components.
A capability of the Data Lake Files service in SAP HANA Cloud, data lake is SQL on Files, which enables users to query files that contain structured data from their data lake file container. It bridges the Data Relational Engine and Data Lake Files components.
SAP HANA is sold as an appliance and can be deployed on-premise, whereas SAP HANA Cloud is its cloud-based version, though both versions can also run in a hybrid combination. Some users choose to deploy SAP HANA Cloud in the cloud as a standalone solution, while others choose to integrate their on-premise system and the cloud together.
SAP HANA Cloud is open to different applications including SAP, non-SAP, custom, and third-party tools, and all data types. It can currently be deployed on Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, AliCloud, and Google Cloud Services, among others.
Options for deploying SAP HANA in the cloud include:
- SAP HANA Cloud (or SAP HANA as a service): a database as a service (DBaaS) option that includes a fully managed cloud service
- SAP HANA deployed in a public cloud: an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) option where users run their own licensed SAP HANA software on a public cloud platform.
Within SAP Business Technology Platform
SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) is SAP's portfolio of integrated enterprise software technologies. SAP HANA Cloud is the core part of the database and data management pillar, and is the foundation of the SAP Business Technology Platform integrated portfolio offering.
- Comparison of relational database management systems
- Comparison of object-relational database management systems
- Database management system
- List of relational database management systems
- List of column-oriented DBMSes
- List of in-memory databases
- List of databases using MVCC
- SAP HANA
- "SAP HANA Cloud". https://www.trustradius.com/products/sap-hana-cloud/reviews?qs=pros-and-cons#overview.
- "IDC Technology Spotlight: Driving Enterprise Intelligence: The Benefits of a Unified Cloud Data Platform" (in English). https://www.sap.com/documents/2021/09/1079ef00-f97d-0010-bca6-c68f7e60039b.html.
- "Magic Quadrant for Cloud Database Management Systems". https://www.gartner.com/doc/reprints?id=1-286J1S0Y&ct=211119&st=sb.
- "All you need to Know About SAP HANA CLOUD" (in en). 2020-09-07. https://www.zarantech.com/blog/all-you-need-to-know-about-sap-hana-cloud/.
- "SAP Hana Cloud – An Overview - 24593" (in en). https://www.mytechlogy.com/IT-blogs/24593/sap-hana-cloud-an-overview/.
- Pinto, Sabrina. "Setting up the new HANA service in SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry". http://www.hanaexam.com/2018/08/setting-up-new-hana-service-in-sap.html.
- "A closer look at SAP HANA Cloud" (in en). https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-closer-look-at-sap-hana-cloud/.
- "The differences between SAP HANA Cloud and SAP HANA on-premise" (in en). 2020-09-05. https://www.zarantech.com/blog/the-differences-between-sap-hana-cloud-and-sap-hana-on-premise/.
- "SAP Cloud Platform Service: SAP HANA" (in en-US). https://www.cloudfoundry.org/the-foundry/sap-cloud-platform-service-sap-hana/.
- "SAP Cloud Platform Environments – Cloud Foundry Vs Neo | SAP Blogs". https://blogs.sap.com/2019/02/24/sap-cloud-platform-environment-cloud-foundry-vs-neo/.
- Staff, ITP (December 22, 2021). "SAP named leader in Magic Quadrant for Cloud Database Management Systems". ITP.net: pp. 1. https://www.itp.net/infrastructure/sap-named-leader-in-magic-quadrant-for-cloud-database-management-systems.
- "A Quick Look into Some of the Key Concepts and Capabilities of SAP HANA Cloud" (in en-US). 2022-08-23. https://eursap.eu/2022/08/23/primer-on-sap-hana-cloud/.
- "Time to LEVEL UP with SAP HANA Cloud on SAP Cloud Platform! -" (in pt-BR). 2020-07-16. https://startup.lwmeta.com/2020/07/16/time-to-level-up-with-sap-hana-cloud-on-sap-cloud-platform/.
- "Data Architecture with SAP – Data Lake -" (in pt-BR). 2022-07-05. https://startup.lwmeta.com/2022/07/05/data-architecture-with-sap-data-lake/.
- "SAP Unveils New Services in SAP HANA Cloud" (in en-US). 2021-04-28. https://www.dbta.com/Editorial/News-Flashes/SAP-Unveils-New-Services-in-SAP-HANA-Cloud-146374.aspx.
- Mahmood, Asad (2020-09-22). "SAP HANA Cloud Data Lake – Part 1" (in en-gb). https://nttdata-solutions.com/uk/blog/sap-hana-cloud-data-lake-part-1/.
- "SAP HANA Cloud, Data Lake Relational Engine on Object Storage". 2022-10-07. https://solution-is-here.com/2022/10/07/1665144003059/.
- "SAP HANA Cloud". https://www.g2.com/products/sap-hana-cloud-2022-05-19/reviews#details.
- services, CyberTech IT, SAP, GIS, Cloud and Infrastructure. "SAP HANA Cloud". https://www.cybertech.com/.
- "What is SAP HANA Cloud?". 2020-03-18. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yymvEKkgU.
- "Landscape Definition Guide for SAP HANA – Best Practices for a Successful Deployment" (in English). https://www.sap.com/documents/2017/07/b83411cd-c67c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html.
- Robb, Drew (2021-07-22). "Top Data Management Platforms & Systems 2022 | ESF" (in en-US). https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/management/data-management-plaforms/.
- "Understanding The Different SAP Cloud Offerings" (in en-US). 2021-05-23. https://itpfed.com/understanding-the-different-sap-cloud-offerings.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP HANA Cloud. Read more