|International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision|
|Organization||World Health Organization|
ICD-10 is the 10th revision of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD), a medical classification list by the World Health Organization (WHO). It contains codes for diseases, signs and symptoms, abnormal findings, complaints, social circumstances, and external causes of injury or diseases. Work on ICD-10 began in 1983, became endorsed by the Forty-third World Health Assembly in 1990, and was first used by member states in 1994. It was replaced by ICD-11 on January 1, 2022.
While WHO manages and publishes the base version of the ICD, several member states have modified it to better suit their needs. In the base classification, the code set allows for more than 14,000 different codes and permits the tracking of many new diagnoses compared to the preceding ICD-9. Through the use of optional sub-classifications, ICD-10 allows for specificity regarding the cause, manifestation, location, severity, and type of injury or disease. The adapted versions may differ in a number of ways, and some national editions have expanded the code set even further; with some going so far as to add procedure codes. ICD-10-CM, for example, has over 70,000 codes.
The WHO provides detailed information regarding the ICD via its website – including an ICD-10 online browser and ICD training materials. The online training includes a support forum, a self-learning tool and user guide.
Approximately 27 countries use ICD-10 for reimbursement and resource allocation in their health system, and some have made modifications to ICD to better accommodate its utility. The unchanged international version of ICD-10 is used in 117 countries for performing cause of death reporting and statistics.
Introduced in 1998, ICD-10 Australian Modification (ICD-10-AM) was developed by the National Centre for Classification in Health at the University of Sydney. It is currently maintained by the Australian Consortium for Classification Development.
Canada began using ICD-10 for mortality reporting in 2000. A six-year, phased implementation of ICD-10-CA for morbidity reporting began in 2001. It was staggered across Canada's ten provinces, with Quebec the last to make the switch.
ICD-10-CA is available in both English- and French-language versions.
The Czech Republic adopted ICD-10 in 1994, one year after its official release by WHO. Revisions to the international edition are adopted continuously. The official Czech translation of ICD-10 2016 10th Revision was published in 2018.
ICD-10 was first introduced into the psychiatric health service system on 1 January 1994.
Estonia adopted ICD-10 from January 1, 1997, via a ministerial degree. However, chapter V "Mental and behavioural disorders" had already been in use from January 1, 1994, also via a ministerial degree.
Hungary introduced the use of ICD-10 from January 1, 1996, via a ministerial decree.
A Korean modification has existed since 2008.
The Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation ordered in 1997 to transfer all health organizations to ICD-10.
ICD-10 was implemented in July 2005 under the auspice of the National ICD-10 Implementation Task Team which is a joint task team between the National Department of Health and the Council for Medical Schemes.
The current Swedish translation of ICD-10 was created in 1997.
The ICD-10-TM (Thai Modification) is a Thai language version based on the 2016 ICD-10. An unusual feature of the index of ICD-10-TM is that it is bilingual, containing both Thai and English trails.
ICD-10 was first mandated for use in the UK in 1995. In 2010 the UK Government made a commitment to update the UK version of ICD-10 every three years. On 1 April 2016, following a year's delay, ICD-10 5th Edition[note 1] replaced the 4th Edition as the mandated diagnostic classification within the UK, and remains the current version for use within the UK.
For disease reporting, the US utilizes its own national variant of ICD-10 called the ICD-10 Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM). A procedural classification called ICD-10 Procedure Coding System (ICD-10-PCS)[note 2] has also been developed for capturing inpatient procedures. The ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS were developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). There are over 70,000 ICD-10-PCS procedure codes and over 69,000 ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes, compared to about 3,800 procedure codes and roughly 14,000 diagnosis codes found in the previous ICD-9-CM.
There was much controversy when the transition from the ICD-9-CM to the ICD-10-CM was first announced in the US. Many providers were concerned about the vast number of codes being added, the complexity of the new coding system, and the costs associated with the transition. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) weighed these concerns against the benefits of having more accurate data collection, clearer documentation of diagnoses and procedures, and more accurate claims processing. CMS decided the financial and public health cost associated with continuing to use the ICD-9-CM was too high and mandated the switch to ICD-10-CM.
The deadline for the United States to begin using ICD-10-CM for diagnosis coding and Procedure Coding System ICD-10-PCS for inpatient hospital procedure coding was set at October 1, 2015, a year later than the previous 2014 deadline. Before the 2014 deadline, the previous deadline had been a year before that on October 1, 2013. All HIPAA "covered entities" were required to make the change; a pre-requisite to ICD-10-CM is the adoption of EDI Version 5010 by January 1, 2012. Enforcement of 5010 transition by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), however, was postponed by CMS until March 31, 2012, with the federal agency citing numerous factors, including slow software upgrades. The implementation of ICD-10-CM has been subject to previous delays. In January 2009, the date was pushed back to October 1, 2013, rather than an earlier proposal of October 1, 2011.
Two common complaints in the United States about the ICD-10-CM are 1) the long list of potentially relevant codes for a given condition (such as rheumatoid arthritis) which can be confusing and reduce efficiency and 2) the assigned codes for seldom seen conditions (e.g. W55.22XA: Struck by cow, initial encounter; and V91.07XA: Burn due to water-skis on fire, initial encounter).
The expansion of healthcare delivery systems and changes in global health trends prompted a need for codes with improved clinical accuracy and specificity. The alphanumeric coding in ICD-10 is an improvement from ICD-9 which had a limited number of codes and a restrictive structure. Early concerns in the implementation of ICD-10 included the cost and the availability of resources for training healthcare workers and professional coders.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, used in psychiatry
- DSM-5: its current version
- The numbering system of editions only refers to those used in the UK; not those issued by WHO. For example, whilst the 5th edition is based on ICD-10 version:2016, the 4th edition was based on the version from 2010 (skipping the versions of ICD-10 from 2014 and 2015).
- Although named ICD-10-PCS, this volume is not based on any of the WHO-FIC publications.
- "International Classification of Diseases (ICD) Information Sheet". https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/factsheet/en/.
- "ICD-10 Fifth Edition". p. 5. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/246208/1/9789241549165-V1-eng.pdf.
- "WHO releases new International Classification of Diseases (ICD 11)" (in en). WHO. 18 June 2018. https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/18-06-2018-who-releases-new-international-classification-of-diseases-(icd-11).
- "International Classification of Diseases (ICD)" (in en). World Health Organisation. https://www.who.int/classifications/classification-of-diseases. "The latest version of the ICD, ICD-11, was adopted by the 72nd World Health Assembly in 2019 and came into effect on 1 January 2022."
- "FAQ on ICD". https://www.who.int/classifications/help/icdfaq/en/.
- "ICD-10 Second Edition Volume 2 – World Health Organization, p15". https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/ICD-10_2nd_ed_volume2.pdf.
- "The switch from ICD-9 to ICD-10: When and why". https://icd.codes/articles/icd9-to-icd10-explained.
- "ICD-10 Version:2016". http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2016/en.
- "ICD-10 Training Tool". http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10training/.
- "ICD-10 User Guide". http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10training/ICD-10_Resources/User_Guide.pdf.
- "International Classification of Diseases 10th Revision". World Health Organization. 2010. http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2010/en.
- "3M Health Information Services: ICD-10 Overview". 2009. http://www.eohima.org/education/ICD_10Overview.pdf.
- France, Francis H. Roger (2001). Case Mix: Global Views, Local Actions : Evolution in Twenty Countries. Amsterdam: IOS Press. ISBN 1-58603-217-8.
- National Clinical Coding Standards ICD-10 5th Edition (2017). NHS Digital Clinical Classification Services. April 2017. p. 200.
- "ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS: Australian Consortium for Classification Development". https://www.accd.net.au/icd10.aspx.
- "Overview : Australian Consortium for Classification Development". https://www.accd.net.au/Default.aspx?page=2.
- "ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS". https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/classification-and-terminology/icd-10-am-achi-acs.
- "Irish Coding Standards Version 9". https://www.hpo.ie/hipe/clinical_coding/irish_coding_standards/ICS_V9.0_2017_Jan.pdf.
- الصحة, فريق بوابة وزارة. "ICD-10-AM - Introduction". https://www.moh.gov.sa/en/HICC/ICD10AM/Pages/Introduction.aspx.
- Killewo, Japhet; Heggenhougen, Kristian; Quah, Stella R. (2010). Epidemiology and Demography in Public Health. Academic Press. ISBN 9780123822017. https://books.google.com/books?id=USRmqCiIaigC&pg=PA43. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Fazito, Erika; Cuchi, Paloma; Fat, Doris Ma; Ghys, Peter Denis; Pereira, Mauricio G.; Vasconcelos, Ana Maria Nogales; Pascom, Ana Roberta Pati (1 December 2012). "Identifying and quantifying misclassified and under-reported AIDS deaths in Brazil: a retrospective analysis from 1985 to 2009". Sex Transm Infect 88 (Suppl 2): i86–i94. doi:10.1136/sextrans-2012-050632. ISSN 1368-4973. PMID 23172349.
- Moskal, Lori (15 October 2004). "Implementation of ICD-10-CA and CCI in Canada". Implementation of ICD-10-CA and CCI in Canada / AHIMA, American Health Information Management Association. http://library.ahima.org/doc?oid=58259. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Walker, Robin L.; Hennessy, Deirdre A.; Johansen, Helen; Sambell, Christie; Lix, Lisa; Quan, Hude (10 June 2012). "Implementation of ICD-10 in Canada: how has it impacted coded hospital discharge data?". BMC Health Services Research 12: 149. doi:10.1186/1472-6963-12-149. PMID 22682405.
- "Deloitte Center for Health Solutions". https://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/us_lshc_ImpactOfICD10_081409.pdf.
- "MKN Mezinárodní statistická klasifikace nemocí a přidružených zdravotních problémů" (in cs). http://www.uzis.cz/katalog/klasifikace/mkn.
- "Spolupráce s WHO" (in cs). http://www.uzis.cz/nas/mezinarodni-spoluprace/spoluprace-who.
- Zvolský, Miroslav (December 2016). "Implementation of International Classifications in the Czech Republic". https://www.uzis.cz/system/files/2016-11-29-WHO-MZ-05-Zvolsky-Implementation-of-international-classifications.pdf.
- Povl Munk-Jørgensen, Aksel Bertelse (January 1999). "Implementation of ICD-10 in the Nordic countries". Nordic Journal of Psychiatry 53 (1): 5–9. doi:10.1080/080394899426648. ISSN 0803-9488.
- Sotsiaalministri 16.01.1996 käskkiri nr 5 "Rahvusvahelise Haiguste Klassifikatsiooni RHK-10 kasutuselevõtmine. Rahvusarhiiv, ERA.5276.1.62
- Sotsiaalministri 29.12.1993 käskkiri nr 194 "Uue psüühikahäirete klassifikatsiooni kasutusele võtmisest. Rahvusarhiiv, ERA.5276.1.52
- "History of ICD-10". 2015-02-17. https://www.webpt.com/blog/post/history-icd-10-0.
- "42/1995. (XI. 14.) NM rendelet a Betegségek Nemzetközi Osztályozása X. Revíziója bevezetéséről". http://njt.hu/cgi_bin/njt_doc.cgi?docid=23711.
- Kim, Sukil (July 18, 2013). "Use of Classifications in Korea". http://www.whofic-apn.com/pdf_files/2013thai/10_Use%20of%20classifications%20in%20Korea%20%20-%20Sukil%20Kim%20(Korea).pdf.
- "WHO-Fic". http://www.rivm.nl/who-fic/ICD.htm.
- "Browser". http://class.who-fic.nl/browser.aspx?scheme=ICD10-nl.cla.
- "Приказ Минздрава РФ от 27.05.97 № 170 (ред. от 12.01.98) "О переходе органов и учреждений здравоохранения Российской Федерации на Международную статистическую классификацию болезней и проблем, связанных со здоровьем X пересмотра"" (in ru). http://zakonbase.ru/content/part/416784.
- Council for Medical Schemes (March 2009), South African ICD-10 Coding Standards, Republic of South Africa Department of Health, Version 3, http://www.medicalschemes.com/files/ICD10%20Codings/SA_ICD-10_Coding_Standards_V3_200903.pdf, retrieved 2016-01-24
- "ICD10TM2016VOL1_FINAL". http://thcc.or.th/ebook1/2016/mobile/index.html#p=1.
- "ICD-10 Classification". http://systems.hscic.gov.uk/data/clinicalcoding/codingstandards/icd10.
- "SCCI0021: ICD-10 5th Edition: Change Paper". http://www.hscic.gov.uk/media/18526/0021102014change-spec/pdf/0021102014change-spec.pdf.
- "ICD-10 Updates". http://systems.hscic.gov.uk/data/clinicalcoding/codingstandards/icd10/icd10updates/index_html.
- Digital, N. H. S.. "Delen: Home : ICD-10". https://hscic.kahootz.com/t_c_home/view?objectID=14232080.
- "ICD-10 FAQs". http://www.ahima.org/topics/icd10/faqs.
- "ICD - ICD-10-CM - International Classification of Diseases,(ICD-10-CM/PCS Transition". https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm_pcs_background.htm.
- "Misperceptions, Misinformation, and Misrepresentations: the ICD-10-CM/PCS Saga". https://library.ahima.org/doc?oid=301014.
- "Senate Approves ICD-10 Delay, 'Doc Fix'". http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/Senate-Approves-ICD-10-Delay-Doc-Fix-47692-1.html.
- "H.R. 4302 (Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014)" . United States Senate. March 31, 2014
- Administrative Simplification: Adoption of a Standard for a Unique Health Plan Identifier; Addition to the National Provider Identifier Requirements; and a Change to the Compliance Date for the International Classification of Diseases, 10th Edition (ICD–10–CM and ICD–10–PCS) Medical Data Code Sets. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. 77 FR 54664 of 5 September 2012. 77 FR 60629 of 4 October 2012.
- "International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM)". National Center for Health Statistics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). December 20, 2010.
- "Overview ICD-10". Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- "HIPAA History". https://www.hipaajournal.com/hipaa-history/.
- "Physicians Get Grace Period from CMS on HIPAA 5010 Enforcement" . Physicians Practice. November 18, 2011
- "Feds Delay ICD-10 for Two Years". The Wall Street Journal . January 15, 2009.
- "ICD-10: An Ode to Code - The Rheumatologist". http://www.the-rheumatologist.org/article/icd-10-an-ode-to-code/.
- Manchikanti, Laxmaiah; Kaye, Alan D.; Singh, Vijay; Boswell, Mark V. (2015). "The Tragedy of the Implementation of ICD-10-CM as ICD-10: Is the Cart Before the Horse or Is There a Tragic Paradox of Misinformation and Ignorance?". Pain Physician 18 (4): E485–495. doi:10.36076/ppj.2015/18/E485. ISSN 2150-1149. PMID 26218946.
- Association, American Hospital (2003-09-23). American Hospital Association; AHIMA. "ICD-10-CM Field Testing Project: Report on Findings: Perceptions, Ideas and Recommendations from Coding Professionals Across the Nation". ICD-10-CM Field Testing Project: Report on Findings: Perceptions, Ideas and Recommendations from Coding Professionals Across the Nation / AHIMA, American Health Information Management Association. http://bok.ahima.org/doc?oid=61292.
|Wikidata has the property:
- ICD-10 online browser (WHO)
- ICD-10 online training direct access (WHO)
- ICD-10-CM (USA – modification) at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- ICD-11 Home Page
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICD-10. Read more