Organization:International Organization for Medical Physics
|Madan M. Rehani|
Objectives and History
IOMP is charged with a mission to advance medical physics practice worldwide by disseminating scientific and technical information, fostering the educational and professional development of medical physics and promoting the highest quality medical services for patients.
IOMP was formed in January 1963 initially with 4 affiliated national member organizations (Canada, Sweden, UK, USA). After 50 years of active existence and global support for the medical physics profession, IOMP has a membership of 80 national member organizations and 6 regional organizations. IOMP is affiliated to IUPESM, IUPAP and ICSU and is officially connected to IFMBE.
IOMP collaborates with professional bodies such as IRPA and ICRP and international organizations such as WHO and IAEA in promoting the development of medical physics and safe use of radiation and radiological equipment technology.
IOMP publishes an electronic Newsletter (Medical Physics World) and an open-source journal (Medical Physics International).
To raise awareness about the role medical physicists play for the benefit of patients, IOMP organizes the annual International Day of Medical Physics (IDMP) on November 7 - the birthday of Marie Sklodowska-Curie.
The World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (World Congress) is organised by IOMP (together with IFMBE and IUPESM) as well as the International Congress of Medical Physics (ICMP), held between World Congresses.
IOMP Member Countries
|State||Member Organisation||Date of membership|
|Australia||Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM)|
|Canada||Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists (COMP)||1963|
|Sweden||Swedish Society of Radiation Physics||1963|
|UK||Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM)||1963|
|USA||American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)||1963|
|Germany||Deutsche Gesellschaft für Medizinische Physik (DGMP)|
|Romania||Romanian College of Medical Physicists (CFMR)||1990 (renewed 2010)|
|Moldova||Association of Medical Physicists from the Republic of Moldova (AFMM)||2016|
|New Zealand||Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM)|
|Denmark||Danish Society for Medical Physics (DSMF)||1982|
|Switzerland||Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Strahlenbiologie und Medizinische Physik
Société Suisse de Radiobiologie et de Physique Médicale
Società Svizzera di Radiobiologia e di Fisica Medica
Swiss Society of Radiobiology and Medical Physics (SGSMP-SSRPM-SSRFM-SSRMP)
|Template:Country data Philippine|
|Template:Country data Trinidad & Tobago|
|United Arab Emirates|
Countries are represented by the respective National Organizations for Medical Physics.
- European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP)
- Asia-Oceania Federation of Organizations for Medical Physics (AFOMP)
- Latin American Medical Physics Association (ALFIM)
- Southeast Asian Federation of Organizations of Medical Physics (SEAFOMP)
- Federation of African Medical Physics Organisations (FAMPO)
- Middle East Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (MEFOMP)
- "Organisation". International Organization for Medical Physics. http://iomp.org/?q=content/organisation. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- "List of IOMP Member Countries". http://www.iomp.org/sites/default/files/table_2-member-countries.pdf. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "IOMP announces International Day of Medical Physics". http://www.aapm.org/announcements/IOMPIntlDayMedPhys.asp. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Hosts - IUPESM 2015 - World Congress on Medical Physics & Biomedical Engineering - Toronto, Canada". http://wc2015.org/hosts/. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "National Member Organizations". https://www.iomp.org/national-member-organizations/. Retrieved 28 September 2019.
- "About COMP - The Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists (COMP)". http://www.comp-ocpm.ca/english/about-comp/about-comp.html. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Svensk förening för radiofysik - hemsida". http://www.radiofysik.org/default.aspx. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "International Links". http://www.ipem.ac.uk/AboutIPEM/PartnersandConnections/InternationalLinks.aspx. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Dansk Selskab for Medicinsk Fysik". http://www.dsmf.org. Retrieved 27 September 2019.