|Initial release||July 27, 2017|
June 2003 (original Vuze code)
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
BiglyBT is a BitTorrent client used to transfer files via the BitTorrent protocol. BiglyBT is written in Java, and is based on the original code of Vuze. In addition to downloading data linked to .torrent files, BiglyBT allows users to convert downloaded videos to different formats and stream them to game consoles and streaming set-top boxes.
The project started in 2017 as a fork of Vuze, a BitTorrent client developed by the same authors The pace of development of Vuze has slowed down in early 2017 as the two main developers left the project and focused their efforts on the fork. The developers removed support for Vuze’s premium products and proprietary features. In the interview to the FSF, the project claimed to have changed the license from GPL 2 or later to GPL 3, but as of April 2020 the license statement in the Git repository remains GPL 2 or later.
BiglyBT allows users to download files from multiple peers on the Internet and to upload files. Users can create and manage a queue of files to be downloaded and uploaded. For each download, users can customise which files to download or upload, set priorities, categories, tags. It is also possible to rate-limit each torrent individually or in groups. in can be customised Within the file selection menus, users can customise their downloads at the level of individual files. Transmission also seeds, that is, it will automatically share downloaded content.
BiglyBT inherits a range of features from Vuze:
- Ability to sequentially download files, enabling streaming of the video content
- Remote control using an Android app (supporting the Transmission remote control protocol) 
- WebTorrent support
- Support for Tor, I2P and VPNs
- UPnP and DLNA support to allow streaming video to media centres and other networked media devices
- Plug-in architecture allowing third parties to extend the client
- DVD burning capabilities
- Content network
- Gaming promotions
- Sponsored offers
- Gordon, Whitson (2019-09-13). "The Best BitTorrent Clients for 2019". PCMag. https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-bittorrent-clients-for-2019. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- Free Software Foundation (2017-11-29). "The Licensing and Compliance Lab interviews BiglyBT". Archived from the original on 2018-10-28. https://web.archive.org/web/20181028185359/https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/the-licensing-and-compliance-lab-interviews-biglybt. Retrieved 2019-12-30.
- "BiglyBT" (in de). https://www.chip.de/downloads/BiglyBT_146319304.html. "Die Entwickler der Software BiglyBT wollen das Vuze/Azureus-Projekt fortsetzen. Falls Sie Nutzer von Vuze/Azureus sind, können Sie die vorhandenen Einstellungen, Downloads und Plug-ins direkt in BiglyBT übernehmen. So ersparen Sie sich eine Neu-Konfiguration und können das Torrent-Netzwerk sofort nutzen."
- Andy (2017-08-03). "Tumbleweed at Vuze as Torrent Client Development Grinds to a Halt". https://torrentfreak.com/tumbleweed-at-vuze-as-torrent-client-development-grinds-to-a-halt-170710/.
- Ernesto Van der Sar (2017-08-03). "Former Vuze Developers Launch BiglyBT, a 'New' Open Source Torrent Client". https://torrentfreak.com/former-vuze-developers-launch-biglybt-a-new-open-source-torrent-client-170803/. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "BiglyBT/LICENSE at 31511721436a92beab1358577f43f61c81050545 · BiglySoftware/BiglyBT". https://github.com/BiglySoftware/BiglyBT/blob/31511721436a92beab1358577f43f61c81050545/LICENSE. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- Ernesto Van der Sar (2020-04-05). "uTorrent is the Most Used BitTorrent Client By Far". https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-is-the-most-used-bittorrent-client-by-far-200405/. "The list is further completed by qBitTorrent, Deluge, Free Download Manager (FDM), and BiglyBT. The latter is operated by former developers of Vuze, which was the second most-used torrent client ten years ago, but is no longer actively developed."
- "Accepted biglybt 126.96.36.199-1 (source all) into unstable, unstable". https://packages.qa.debian.org/b/biglybt/news/20200203T021033Z.html. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- "Information for biglybt". https://repology.org/project/biglybt/information. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- "BiglyBT 188.8.131.52". https://www.bytesin.com/software/BiglyBT/.
- Martin Brinkmann (2017-08-05). "BiglyBT, new Vuze-based torrent client without ads". https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/05/biglybt-new-vuze-based-torrent-client-without-ads/.
- "BiglyBT for Mac". https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59946/biglybt.
- Elena Opris (2020-03-05). "BiglyBT — Open-source torrent client based on Azureus, which keeps its features, contains no ads, and brings new, promising options to the table". https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/BiglyBT.shtml. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- Elaine Lee. "BiglyBT is Probably The Best Torrent Client Ever". https://www.theredmondcloud.com/biglybt/. Retrieved 2020-05-05.