Veritas Enterprise Vault (EV) is an enterprise information archive platform developed by Veritas Technologies. It is part of the company's "Information Governance" suite. Enterprise Vault has the ability to archive from various sources such as Microsoft Exchange (2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003), SMTP (any), IBM Domino (latest release), Microsoft SharePoint and various File Systems (Windows NTFS and Linux/Unix file systems) with the ability to store on a multiple of storage platforms, such as NTFS, NetApp, Centera, SMB and WORM. The data archived is indexed, classified, de-duplicated and securely stored.
Enterprise Vault was originally developed at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) by a group of developers who had previously been the engineering team for Digital's VMS based ALL-IN-1 office and messaging system. After DEC was acquired by Compaq Computer Corporation the Enterprise Vault team was terminated just after Version 1 of the product was shipped.
Technical Director Nigel Dutt approached Edward Forwood of broker Durlacher with a proposal to start a company to develop and sell the product. They consequently acquired the rights to the product and formed kVault Software Limited in late 1999 with initial funding from Durlacher. The four years from 2000–2004 saw greatly improved sales and eventual acquisition by VERITAS Software in 2004. Veritas was subsequently acquired by Symantec in 2005 for $13.5B. However, on February 1st 2016, Symantec completed its sale of Veritas to the Carlyle group for $7.4B and Enterprise Vault again reverted to being a Veritas product.
As of June 2018 all Enterprise Vault engineers in the UK were made redundant.
- Enterprise Vault 7.0 was released on 30 November 2006.
- Enterprise Vault 8.0 was released on 01 December 2008.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 RTM was released on 13 August 2010. v9.0 added support for Microsoft Exchange 2010 and Microsoft Sharepoint 2010.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP1 RTM was released on 26 November 2010. v9.0 SP1 added support for Outlook 2010.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP2 RTM was released on 23 March 2011.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 SP3 RTM was released on 28 November 2011. v9.0 SP3 adding support for IPv6 and FIPS 140-2 Compliance.
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 RTM was released on 15 July 2011. v10.0 added an enhanced and greatly scalable 64-bit indexing engine.
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 SP1 RTM was released on 28 March 2012
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 SP2 RTM was released on 26 September 2012
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 SP3 RTM was released on 18 January 2013. Adding support for Microsoft Exchange 2013, Outlook 2013, SharePoint 2013 and Windows 8.
- Enterprise Vault 10.0 SP4 RTM was released on 12 July 2013. Adding support for Domino 9 and Kerberos support for Mac client on Outlook 2011.
- Enterprise Vault 11.0 GA was released on 05 May 2014. Adding support for IMAP access to archived data, an enhanced EV Search capability (EVS), PST Migration Enhancements, and additional SCOM packs.
- Enterprise Vault 11.0.1 RTM was released on 10 December 2014, with GA 05 January 2015. Adding native SMTP archiving support, EVS Mobile search, and additional SCOM packs.
- Enterprise Vault 12 GA was released on 01 February 2016. Re branded as a Veritas release; Adding integrated classification, simplified Supervision, EVS enhancements, Export optimization & SQL Always on Support
- Enterprise Vault 12.1 GA was released on 07 November 2016
- Enterprise Vault 12.2 GA was released on 07 August 2017
- Enterprise Vault 12.3 GA was released on 30 March 2018
- Enterprise Vault 12.4 GA was released on 03 December 2018
- Symantec bundles archiving and security:http://www.infostor.com/display_article/295641/23/ARTCL/none/none/Symantec-bundles-archiving-and-security/
- VERITAS News Release: http://www.tornado-insider.com/radar/compShow.asp?compID=5717