|Original author(s)||Paul Foeckler, Victor Henning, Jan Reichelt|
|Initial release||August 2008|
1.19.5 / 2019
|Type||Reference management software|
Mendeley is a company based in London, UK, which provides products and services for academic researchers. It is most known for its reference manager which is used to manage and share research papers and generate bibliographies for scholarly articles.
Mendeley was named after the biologist Gregor Mendel and chemist Dmitri Mendeleyev, and founded in London in November 2007 by three German PhD students. The first public beta version was released in August 2008. The company's investors included some people previously involved with Last.fm, Skype, and Warner Music Group, as well as academics from Cambridge and Johns Hopkins University.
Mendeley won several awards in 2009 including Plugg.eu "European Start-up of the Year 2009", TechCrunch Europas "Best Social Innovation Which Benefits Society 2009", and The Guardian ranked it #6 in "Top 100 tech media companies".
Purchase by Elsevier
Mendeley was purchased by the academic publisher Elsevier in early 2013. The deal price was speculated to be €50 million (US$65 million). The sale led to debate on scientific networks and in the media interested in Open Access, and upset members of the scientific community who felt that the Mendeley's acquisition by Elsevier was antithetical to Mendeley's open sharing model.
David Dobbs, in The New Yorker, suggested Elsevier's reasons for buying Mendeley could have been to acquire its user data and/or to "destroy or coopt an open-science icon that threatens its business model." This was contrasted to a non-profit service like Unpaywall, which marketed itself as not susceptible to a sell-out to Elsevier.
Extensions to product line
After acquisition, Mendeley subsequently extended its product line into new areas while continuing to iterate on its reference manager.
On January 12, 2015, Mendeley announced the acquisition of Newsflo, a service which provided links to press coverage of researchers' work. The functionality was subsequently incorporated into Mendeley Feed and Mendeley Profile.
In April 2016, Mendeley Data, a platform for sharing citable research datasets online, was promoted out of beta.
In October 2016, Mendeley Careers was launched to help researchers to locate job opportunities.  As of August 2019, Mendeley Careers offered 295k science and technology job opportunities.
On May 24, 2019, Mendeley announced two new products: Mendeley Reference Manager and Mendeley Cite.
Mendeley is freemium software.
- Mendeley Desktop, the original reference manager based on the Qt framework that runs on Microsoft Windows, Mac and Linux
- Mendeley Reference Manager (Beta), a replacement reference manager built with Electron that also runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and all major web browsers
- Mendeley Web Importer, a browser extension that imports metadata and retrieves legal full text scholarly articles discovered on the Web
- Mendeley Cite, an add-in for Microsoft Word for citing references and generating bibliographies
- Mendeley mobile apps for reading articles on the go, available for iOS and Android
- Mendeley Profile, a public showcase for research outputs and receiving citation and usage statistics on one's personal research output
- Mendeley Catalog, a crowd-sourced index of scholarly articles with over 90 million unique records
- Mendeley Feed, a timeline of new publications from the Mendeley profiles of followed researchers and their mentions in the media
- Mendeley Suggest, email recommendations of new articles to read based on use within Mendeley
- Mendeley Data, a free research data management solution
- Mendeley Careers, a job listings and CV hosting site for researchers
- Mendeley Funding, a search portal for research funding opportunities
- Mendeley Institutional Edition, enabling institutional administrators to gain analytical insights into their researchers' use of journals while upgrading reference manager storage and group collaborator limits 
- Mendeley Developer Portal, which offers open APIs for interacting with the reference manager programmatically
- Mendeley reader counts, a unique readership statistic which has been asserted to predict citation impact 
- Automatic extraction of metadata from PDF articles
- Claim authored publications by linking the user's Mendeley Profile to Scopus Author Profile
- Citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word, OpenOffice.org, and LibreOffice
- Private groups to share and annotate research papers within copyright-compliant responsible sharing guidelines
Notes and references
- Elsevier (24 July 2013). "Victor Henning's brief guide to Mendeley". Elsevier Connect. https://www.elsevier.com/connect/victor-hennings-brief-guide-to-mendeley.
- Jason Fitzpatrick (2009-08-17). "Mendeley Manages Your Documents on Your Desktop and in the Cloud". http://lifehacker.com/5334254/mendeley-manages-your-documents-on-your-desktop-and-in-the-cloud. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Victor Henning, How our name evolved from B-movie monster to Mendeley, 23 April 2008
- "Case study – Mendeley shares scientific research to build a better future" (in en). 1 August 2014. https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/mendeley-shares-scientific-research-to-build-a-better-future.
- Plugg.eu (2009-03-12). "Winners for Plugg Start-Ups Rally 2009 announced". Archived from the original on 2009-03-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20090318234932/http://plugg.eu/media/blog/p/detail/winners-for-plugg-start-ups-rally-2009-announced. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- TechCrunch (2009-03-12). "Plugg wraps with two very capable winners". https://techcrunch.com/2009/03/12/plugg-wraps-with-two-very-capable-winnners/. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- TechCrunch (2009-07-09). "The Europas: The Winners and Finalists". https://techcrunch.com/2009/07/09/the-europas-the-winners-and-finalists/.
- The Guardian (2009-09-07). "The top 100 tech media companies". London. https://www.theguardian.com/tech-media-invest-100/top-100.
- Suber, Peter (2012). Open Access. MIT Press Essential Knowledge. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-51763-8. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/hoap/Open_Access_(the_book). Template:OpenAccess
- Peter Suber (2013-04-09). "Elsevier bought Mendeley". https://plus.google.com/+PeterSuber/posts/e4iZMQfoENc.
- Confirmed: Elsevier Has Bought Mendeley For $69M-$100M To Expand Its Open, Social Education Data Efforts. 8 April 2013.
- Elsevier takes over Mendeley: And you, what do you think?, MyScienceWork
- "The Empire acquires the rebel alliance: Mendeley users revolt against Elsevier takeover". paidContent. Apr 9, 2013. http://paidcontent.org/2013/04/09/the-empire-acquires-the-rebel-alliance-mendeley-users-revolt-against-elsevier-takeover/. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "When the Rebel Alliance Sells Out", David Dobbs, The New Yorker, April 12, 2013
- "Unpaywall: a beautiful way to help everyone Get The Research". 2018-10-28. https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2018/10/28/unpaywall-a-beautiful-way-to-help-everyone-get-the-research/. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- stevedennis (2013-09-23). "The New Mendeley for iPad and iPhone" (in en). https://blog.mendeley.com/2013/09/23/the-new-mendeley-for-ipad-and-iphone/.
- Bonasio, Alice (2015-01-12). "Newsflo brings new impact metrics to Mendeley" (in en). https://blog.mendeley.com/2015/01/12/newsflo-brings-new-impact-metrics-to-mendeley/.
- "Elsevier Acquires Media Monitoring Company Newsflo". https://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/corporate/elsevier-acquires-media-monitoring-company-newsflo.
- Josh (2016-04-28). "Mendeley Data is out of beta" (in en). https://blog.mendeley.com/2016/04/28/mendeley-data-is-out-of-beta/.
- Desai, Shruti (2016-09-30). "Search thousands of science and technology jobs at Mendeley Careers – launching in October" (in en). https://blog.mendeley.com/2016/09/30/search-thousands-of-science-and-technology-jobs-at-mendeley-careers-launching-in-october/.
- sallyransom (2019-05-24). "Supporting researchers with the new Mendeley Reference Manager" (in en). https://blog.mendeley.com/2019/05/24/supporting-researchers-with-the-new-mendeley-reference-manager/.
- "Mendeley Manual for Librarians". https://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/117992/Mendeley-Manual-for-Librarians_2017.pdf.
- Thelwall, Mike (2018-06-01). "Early Mendeley readers correlate with later citation counts" (in en). Scientometrics 115 (3): 1231–1240. doi:10.1007/s11192-018-2715-9. ISSN 1588-2861.
- "Thousands of researchers hit by Mendeley update glitch" (in en). Times Higher Education (THE). 2018-06-15. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/thousands-researchers-hit-mendeley-update-glitch.
- "Update on the missing PDF issue" (in en-US). Mendeley Blog. 2018-06-27. https://blog.mendeley.com/2018/06/27/update-on-the-missing-pdf-issue/.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mendeley. Read more