Software:Sealdah Suburban Tracking System
|Original author(s)||Vikash Anand, Dipankar Ray|
|Developer(s)||Dipankar Ray, Someshwar Dey, Tathagat|
|Initial release||July 2020|
5.26 / 3 February 2021
|Website||SSTS on Play Store|
|As of||September 2021|
Sealdah Suburban Tracking System is an android application meant for users of suburban trains in Sealdah division Eastern Railway. It was launched in July 2020 with the name "Staff Special Time Table", initially. It has been developed by the Electric Operation wing of Sealdah Division which is led by Senior Divisional Electrical Engineer (Operations). The APP is actively maintained by IT Cell of the division.
Punctuality of suburban train was the key thrust area in the period 2018 - 2020, targetted by DRM Mr. Prabhas Dansana. Several initiatives like terminal speed increment, turnout/crossover relaxations, stoppage reduction, forced layout relaxation, MPS monitoring, PSR relaxation, LC gate removal etc were exercised and were fruitful. For further improvement of punctuality, the electric operation wing started with live tracking of suburban trains which led to development of Sealdah Suburban Tracking System - an internal system for Indian Railways. Incidentally, due to Covid-19 pandemic, the suburban services were stopped totally by the goverment. Indian Railways being essential service provider needed to mobilize its manpower and resources for running freight services. As a result, staff specials were started. As the services were non commercial, the timings were not updated on any platform like NTES etc. In such a situation, Staff Special Time Table android app was developed by the division based on SSTS server to facilitate the essential service staff. Once the services resumed in November 2020, the app was rechristened on the name of original server - Sealdah Suburban Tracking System.
Development & Technology
SSTS uses the popular and low cost tracking mechanism of GPS + GPRS. All the EMU and MEMU rakes were equipped with such trackers in 2019 and with inhouse development of software, SSTS was fully launched in January 2020. The software has been developed entirely by Dipankar Ray, Chief Loco Inspector who heads the IT cell now. Unlike other tracking systems, it provides the actual GPS location (time stamped) with speed. Being integrated with some of the internal system, the app offers much more features. Some of them are discussed further.
Features of APP
- Live View over Maps
- Rake Length
- Platfom Indication
- Custom Notifications
Reception and Popularity
The android app has 500,000+ downloads so far and is gaining quick popularity since publication. It had been pretty useful for suburban users and frontline and healthcare users during pandemic as seen from reviews. The app also enjoys a 4.5 star rating. Considering the popularity, Train Information Boards based on SSTS have also been installed at a few suburban stations now.
- "Sealdah Suburban Tracking System – Apps on Google Play". https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ssts.hms&hl=en_IN&gl=US.
- "Suburban trains get on the app track | Kolkata News - Times of India". https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/suburban-trains-get-on-the-app-track/articleshow/81129714.cms.
- "Eastern Railway". https://er.indianrailways.gov.in/view_section.jsp?lang=0&id=0,6,442,462,1711,2026.
- "Local train tracking app a hit with users | Kolkata News - Times of India". https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/local-train-tracking-app-a-hit-with-users/articleshow/84077064.cms.
- APP on Play Store
- official Page
- IRTB (Indian Railway Technical Bulletin) of NOv 2020 by RDSO, Lucknow.
- Suburban trains get on the app track | Kolkata News - Times of India
- Local train tracking app a hit with users | Kolkata News - Times of India
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Sealdah Suburban Tracking System. Read more