Adlam (Unicode block)
(96 code points)
|Assigned||88 code points|
|Unused||8 reserved code points|
|Unicode version history|
Adlam is a Unicode block containing characters from the Adlam script, an alphabetic script devised during the late 1980s for writing the Fula language in Guinea, Nigeria, Liberia, and other nearby countries.
In June 2016, Adlam was added to the Unicode Standard with the release of version 9.0.
In October 2017, Google released a Noto font that supports the block, Noto Sans Adlam, although it did not handle prenasalized consonants properly.
The following Unicode-related documents record the purpose and process of defining specific characters in the Adlam block:
|Version||Final code points[lower-alpha 1]||Count||L2 ID||WG2 ID||Document|
|L2/13-210||Anderson, Deborah; Whistler, Ken; McGowan, Rick; Pournader, Roozbeh (2013-10-31), Recommendations to UTC #137 November 2013 on Script Proposals|
|L2/14-219R||N4628||Everson, Michael (2014-09-23), Proposal for encoding the Adlam script in the SMP of the UCS|
|L2/14-268R||Anderson, Deborah; Whistler, Ken; McGowan, Rick; Pournader, Roozbeh; Iancu, Laurențiu; Glass, Andrew; Constable, Peter; Suignard, Michel (2014-10-27), Recommendations to UTC #141 October 2014 on Script Proposals|
|L2/14-250||Moore, Lisa (2014-11-10), UTC #141 Minutes, "Accept 87 Adlam characters at U+1E900..U+1E95F in block Adlam U+1E900..U+1E95F, with properties as given in L2/14-219R for encoding in a future version of the standard."|
|L2/16-052||N4603 (pdf, doc)||Umamaheswaran, V. S. (2015-09-01), Unconfirmed minutes of WG 2 meeting 63|
|L2/19-070||Patel, Neil; Jamra, Mark (2019-01-19), Replacement of Adlam Reference Font in Codesheet to Updated Design|
|L2/19-119R||N5076||Patel, Neil; Jamra, Mark; Cornelius, Craig; Barry, Ibrahima; Barry, Abdoulaye (2019-04-19), Replacement of Adlam Reference Font in Codesheet to Updated Design|
|L2/19-173||Anderson, Deborah (2019-04-29), Recommendations to UTC #159 April-May 2019 on Script Proposals|
|L2/19-122||Moore, Lisa (2019-05-08), UTC #159 Minutes|
|12.0||U+1E94B||1||L2/18-282||Barry, Abdoulaye; Barry, Ibrahima; Constable, Peter; Glass, Andrew (2018-08-26), Proposal to encode ADLAM LETTER APOSTROPHE for ADLaM script|
|L2/18-274||McGowan, Rick (2018-09-14), Comments on Public Review Issues (July 24 - Sept 14, 2018)|
|L2/18-300||Anderson, Deborah (2018-09-14), Recommendations to UTC #157 on Script Proposals|
|L2/18-282R||N5022||Barry, Abdoulaye; Barry, Ibrahima; Constable, Peter; Glass, Andrew (2018-11-17), Proposal to encode ADLAMNASALIZATION MARKfor ADLaM script|
|L2/18-272||Moore, Lisa (2018-10-29), UTC #157 Minutes|
- "Unicode character database". The Unicode Standard. https://www.unicode.org. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Enumerated Versions of The Unicode Standard". The Unicode Standard. https://www.unicode.org/versions/enumeratedversions.html. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Waddell, Kaveh (2016-11-16). "The Alphabet That Will Save a People From Disappearing". https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/11/the-alphabet-that-will-save-a-people-from-disappearing/506987/.
- "Updates". https://www.google.com/get/noto/updates/.
- "Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18252". 2018-10-03. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18252.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlam (Unicode block). Read more