|Type||Private limited company|
|Founded||January 1, 1992in Slovakia|
Number of employees
ESET, spol. s.r.o. is a Slovak internet security company, headquartered in Bratislava, Slovakia, and received positive recognition in 2008, 2009 and 2010. ESET provides security software in over 200 countries and territories worldwide, and its software is localized to more than 30 languages.
The company was founded in 1992 in Bratislava. However, its history dates back to 1987, when two of the company’s founders, Miroslav Trnka and Peter Paško, developed their first antivirus program called NOD. This sparked an idea between friends to help protect PC users and soon grew into an antivirus software company. ESET is regularly recognized as Slovakia's most successful company on an annual basis and Europe's largest private cybersecurity company now.
- 1987 - The first version of antivirus NOD is created by Peter Paško and Miroslav Trnka
- 1992 - Founding of ESET spol. s.r.o. in Czechoslovakia (now in Slovakia)
- 1998 - ESET NOD32 Antivirus received the first Virus Bulletin Test award
- 1999 - Forming of ESET, LLC in San Diego, United States
- 2001 - Founding of ESET Software Company in Prague, Czech Republic
- 2008 - Founding of ESET Research and Development Center in Poland
- 2012 - Founding of ESET Research and Development Center in Montreal, Canada
- 2013 - ESET launches ESET Secure Authentication, its first authentication product
- 2013 - ESET launches Managed Service Provider (MSP) Program
ESET is privately held and has branch offices in San Diego, United States; Montreal, Canada; Buenos Aires, Argentina; São Paulo, Brazil; Prague, Czech Republic; Kraków, Poland; Singapore; Japan and Australia as well as distributors in over 180 countries.
According to Gartner, ESET showed the largest worldwide growth rate within the Consumer Security industry for 2011. ESET falls within the Niche Player category of the Gartner Magic Quadrant. According to the Gartner report, "ESET has built a substantial installed base in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, particularly in Eastern Europe, and it has a rapidly growing small and medium-sized business presence in North America. Its Completeness of Vision score benefits from good malware effectiveness in a lightweight client, but it still suffers from weak enterprise management capabilities and lack of investment in market-leading features, such as application control and virtualization support. ESET is a good shortlist option for organizations seeking an effective, lightweight anti-malware solution."
According to Frost & Sullivan, "ESET offers high-performance, proactive endpoint security solutions, and the company goes above and beyond the competition to add value to its products by educating both Mac and PC users on how to defend themselves against the latest cyber threats" and it concluded that "ESET will continue to maintain a strong presence in the endpoint security market and provide high value to its customers." It awarded ESET the 2012 North American Endpoint Security Products Customer Value Enhancement Award and the 2011 Global Customer Value Enhancement Award.
ESET Endpoint Security was rated Five Stars by SC Magazine, and won the Best Antivirus Software of 2013 award by Maximum PC. It further received the Parent Tested Parent Approved seal from PTPA Media.
In 2009, CNET awarded ESET Smart Security 4 the CNET Editor's Choice Award under the Internet security suite category. Reviewers stated that "ESET Smart Security is surprisingly light, consuming around 50MB of RAM when running" and concluded that "For getting all your security tools in one box, Smart Security is an effective and well-respected choice."
In late 2013, Maximum PC awarded ESET Smart Security 6 a 9/10 rating and was impressed with the improvements made in version 6. Reviewers were unimpressed with the user interface, stating that "There’s nothing flashy about ESET’s interface. It hasn’t been modernized for Windows 8 or touchscreen displays" although they concluded "We dinged the program last year for letting a few nasty containments through, a rare misstep for a program that’s collected a dozen straight VB100 awards from Virus Bulletin in the past two years. It fared much better in our tests this time around."
ESET was also one of the first Security firms to report the internal workings and hacking techniques of the Sednit Hacking group, thought responsible for the 2016 DNC hack also better known under Fancy Bear. A series of very detailed techniques and complete analysis of the hacking tools used was published in a series of PDF's on their Cyber Security log website.
On 2 July 2018, ESET joined the Cybersecurity Tech Accord, a public commitment among more than 40 global companies to protect the Cybersecurity of end-users.
In September 2019, ESET researchers discovered a backdoor linked to malware used by the Stealth Falcon group, an operator of targeted spyware attacks against journalists, activists, and dissidents in the Middle East.
- Home/home office
ESET products include tools for smart security, Internet security, NOD32 antivirus, cyber security and endpoint protection for Windows, Linux, Mac and Android, anti-theft, encryption, and parental control. It also has some integration plugins for Kaseya RMM and LabTech RMM.
ESET Remote Administrator is a free central management console designed to allow network administrators to manage ESET software across a corporate network. On 25 February 2015, ESET released Remote Administrator 6, a completely re-written platform to administer ESET software from a browser or mobile device.
ESET SysRescue Live is a Linux-based bootable live CD or USB image that can be used to boot and clean heavily-infected computers independent of the installed operating system. The program is offered free of charge, and can download updates if a network connection is present.
- "ESET :: Download :: For Home". Eset.com. http://www.eset.com/download/home/.
- "2019 CONSOLIDATED ANNUAL REPORT". https://www.eset.com/fileadmin/ESET/SK/Docs/Vyrocne-spravy/vyrocna-sprava-2020-eng.pdf.
- "Firma roka je Eset a najúspešnejšia banka VÚB" (in sk). SME. 10 November 2009. http://ekonomika.sme.sk/c/5103938/firma-roka-je-eset-a-najuspesnejsia-banka-vub.html. "Eset je len treťou spoločnosťou, ktorá dokázala titul Firma roka obhájiť."
- Doktor, Vladislav (11 November 2009). "Eset je opäť firmou roka" (in sk). Hospodárske noviny. http://hn.hnonline.sk/2-39030630-k10000_detail-88. "Firmou roka v dvanástom ročníku udeľovania cien za mimoriadne podnikateľské výsledky týždenníka Trend sa včera stala softvérová spoločnosť Eset, ktorá obhájila vlaňajší primát."
- "Eset sa po štyroch rokov vrátil na vrchol. Firmou roka bol 2016 aj 2017" (in sk). AMMADO. 14 January 2018. https://www.ammado.sk/news/eset-sa-po-styroch-rokov-vratil-na-vrchol-firmou-roka-bol-2016-aj-2017/.
- "The ECSO ‘Cybersecurity Made in Europe’ label is awarded to ESET, the leading endpoint protection platform vendor headquartered in Europe" (in en-GR). https://www.eset.com/gr-en/about/newsroom/press-releases/the-ecso-cybersecurity-made-in-europe-label-is-awarded-to-eset-the-leading-endpoint-protection-pl-6/.
- a.s, Petit Press. "Firma roka je Eset a najúspešnejšia banka VÚB" (in sk). https://index.sme.sk/c/5103938/firma-roka-je-eset-a-najuspesnejsia-banka-vub.html.
- "Eset sa po štyroch rokov vrátil na vrchol. Firmou roka bol 2016 aj 2017 :: AMMADO". https://www.ammado.sk/news/eset-sa-po-styroch-rokov-vratil-na-vrchol-firmou-roka-bol-2016-aj-2017/.
- "About ESET :: Company Profile :: History". Eset.com. http://www.eset.com/about/profile/history/.
- "ESET Opens Research & Development Center in Canada at Montreal’s École Polytechnique Campus". Polytechnique Montreal. 17 April 2012. http://www.polymtl.ca/carrefour/en/article.php?no=3851.
- "ESET Secure Authentication: New Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) System Protects Passwords and Prevents Data Breaches". Yahoo!. 21 February 2013. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/eset-secure-authentication-two-factor-170000480.html.
- "ESET is opening R&D Center in Canada at Polytechnique Montréal". École Polytechnique de Montréal. 17 April 2012. http://www.polymtl.ca/carrefour/en/article.php?no=3851.
- "ESET opens Asia-Pacific headquarters in Singapore". Version-2 Limited. 27 August 2010. http://www.eset.com.sg/html/86/1017/.
- "ESET Tops Worldwide Growth List for Consumer Security in Leading Industry Analyst Firm’s Security Software Market Share Report". SAN DIEGO. 2012-04-26. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120426005386/en/ESET-Tops-Worldwide-Growth-List-Consumer-Security#.VXqUlPmqpBc.
- "Gartner Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms". 2014-01-17. http://blogs.antivirussales.ca/en/blog/gartner-magic-quadrant-for-endpoint-protection-platforms/.
- "ESET Receives 2011 Frost & Sullivan Global Customer Value Enhancement Award". 2011-06-22. http://www.eset.com/pt/about/press/articles/article/eset-receives-2011-frost-sullivan-global-customer-value-enhancement-award/.
- "Frost & Sullivan Honors Industry Innovators, Superlative Accomplishments Recognized at Best Practices Awards Gala". Frost & Sullivan. 2013-03-13. http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/press-release.pag?docid=275303791.
- Inc, Gartner. "ESET Endpoint Security and Protection Software Reviews". Gartner. https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/endpoint-protection-platforms/vendor/eset/alternatives.
- Awards & Certifications, ESET
- Awards, Certifications and Accolades , ESET
- Turrentine, Lindsey (2009-04-22). "23 downloads win CNET Editors' Choice". http://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/23-downloads-win-cnet-editors-choice.
- ESET Smart Security Wins CNET Editors' Choice Award , ESET Press Center
- Lilly, Paul (2013-06-17). "Best Antivirus 2013". Maximum PC. http://www.maximumpc.com/best-antivirus/#page-3.
- "Virus Bulletin :: Péter Szőr Award". https://www.virusbulletin.com/conference/peter-szor-award/.
- "Virus Bulletin VB100 Results Overview: ESET". Virus Bulletin. http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=14.
- ESET Sets Record for Consecutive Virus Bulletin Awards with 80th VB100 Award , ESET Press Center
- "Lifting the lid on Sednit: A closer look at the software it uses". WeLiveSecurity. 2016-10-25. https://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/10/25/lifting-lid-sednit-closer-look-software-uses/.
- "ESET joins global cyber security alliance". ITP.net. http://www.itp.net/617441-eset-joins-global-cyber-security-alliance.
- "ESET discovered an undocumented backdoor used by the infamous Stealth Falcon group". WeLiveSecurity. https://www.welivesecurity.com/2019/09/09/backdoor-stealth-falcon-group/.
- "ESET Products for Home Users". ESET. http://www.eset.com/us/home/windows-antivirus/.
- "ESET SysRescue Live". ESET. 2014-04-30. http://www.eset.com/int/support/sysrescue/.
- https://www.welivesecurity.com an ESET managed security Website
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESET. Read more