Medicine:Social Science & Medicine
|Discipline||Social sciences, health science|
|Edited by||Ichiro Kawachi, S.V. Subramanian|
|ISO 4||Soc. Sci. Med.|
Social Science & Medicine is a peer-reviewed academic journal covering social science research on health, including anthropology, economics, geography, psychology, social epidemiology, social policy, sociology, medicine and health care practice, policy, and organization. It was established in 1967 and is published by Elsevier.
Social Science & Medicine (ISSN 0037-7856) was published quarterly from 1967 to 1977 by Pergamon Press and, according to the National Library of Medicine and the Library of Congress, was then split into:
- Social Science & Medicine. Part A: Medical Psychology & Medical Sociology (ISSN 0271-7123)
- Social Science & Medicine. Part B: Medical Anthropology (ISSN 0160-7987)
- Social Science & Medicine. Part C: Medical Economics (ISSN 0160-7995)
- Social Science & Medicine. Part D: Medical Geography (ISSN 0160-8002)
- Social Science & Medicine. Part E: Medical Psychology (ISSN 0271-5384)
- Social Science & Medicine. Part F: Medical & Social Ethics (ISSN 0271-5392)
In 1982, Parts A-F were merged back into one journal. It was published by Pergamon Press, until that company was acquired by Elsevier in 1992.
2012 to Current – Ichiro Kawachi and S.V. Subramanian, both at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, US.
1967 to 1995 - Peter J. M. McEwan (Founding Editor).
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Occupational health psychology
- NLM record,
- LC record
- Social Science & Medicine Editorial Board. https://www.journals.elsevier.com/social-science-and-medicine/editorial-board.
- "Ellen Annandale – Sociology, The University of York" (in EN). https://www.york.ac.uk/sociology/our-staff/academic/ellen-annandale/.
- "Editorial Board" (in en). Social Science & Medicine 202: ii. 1 April 2018. doi:10.1016/S0277-9536(18)30145-X. ISSN 0277-9536.
- "Social Science & Medicine". 2012 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.