Apple Look Around
Apple Look Around is a technology featured in Apple Maps that provides interactive panoramas from positions along a small number of streets in the United States. Look Around allows the user to view 360° street-level imagery, with smooth transitions as the scene is navigated. Look Around was introduced with iOS 13 at Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in June 2019. It was publicly released as part of iOS 13 on September 19, 2019.
In early 2015, vehicles equipped with twelve cameras and lidar sensors were seen in a variety of places throughout the United States. These vehicles were owned by Apple. In June 2015, Apple stated on its website that the vehicles were collecting data to improve Apple Maps. Also, Apple claimed to secure privacy by making faces and license plates unrecognizable. In 2018 Apple confirmed in an article that it was rebuilding Apple Maps, with the first results rolled out in California .
In May 2019, Apple announced plans to begin collecting data for Apple Maps in Canada.
Timeline of introductions
|#||Release date||Major locations added|
|1||Thursday, September 19, 2019||San Francisco Bay Area, Santa Cruz, Las Vegas, Oahu|
|2||Monday, September 30, 2019||Los Angeles , New York City |
|3||Monday, November 18, 2019||Houston|
|New York City|
|San Francisco Bay Area|
According to the company, Apple's vehicles have driven through the following countries:
|Australia||Adelaide, Australian Capital Territory, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Tasmania, Queensland|
|Canada||Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan|
|Croatia||Split-Dalmatia County, Sibenik-Knin County|
|Germany||Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Hesse, Lower Saxony, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Schleswig-Holstein, Thuringia|
|Ireland||Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Silgo, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow|
|Italy||Abruzzo, Aosta Valley, Apulia, Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Emilia-Romagna, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Lazio, Liguria, Lombardy, Marche, Molise, Piedmont, Sardinia, Sicily, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Tuscany, Umbria, Veneto|
|Japan||Ibaraki Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, Tokyo, Kanagawa Prefecture, Aichi Prefecture, Mie Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Kyoto Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Hyōgo Prefecture, Nara Prefecture|
|San Marino||San Marino|
|Spain||Andalusia, Catalonia, Community of Madrid, Valencian Community, Galicia, Castile and León, Basque Country, Castilla-La Mancha, Canary Islands, Region of Murcia, Aragon, Extremadura, Balearic Islands, Asturias, Navarre, Cantabria, La Rioja|
|Sweden||Skåne County, Stockholm County, Uppsala County|
|United Kingdom||Gibraltar, England , Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man|
|United States||Full coverage scheduled to appear in all 50 states by the end of 2019|
- Google Street View
- List of street view services
- "iOS 13 Preview - Features". https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/features/. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Panzarino, Matthew (June 29, 2018). "Apple is rebuilding Maps from the ground up". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/29/apple-is-rebuilding-maps-from-the-ground-up/.
- "Apple starts collecting data for Apple Maps in Canada" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2019/05/27/apple-starts-collecting-data-for-apple-maps-in-canada/.
- "IOS 13 REVIEW: JOIN THE DARK SIDE". September 19, 2019. https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20872972/apple-ios-13-review-iphone-update-dark-mode-arcade-maps-photos-siri.
- "Apple: Apple Maps vehicles". http://maps.apple.com/vehicles/.
- "Apple Maps gets a makeover". June 3, 2019. https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-maps-gets-a-makeover/.