|Initial release||April 2, 2013|
22.214.171.124 / April 22, 2021
|Available in||English, Spanish, French, German, French (Canada), Italian, Hungarian, Dutch, Dutch (Belgium) Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Turkish, Russian, Chinese (Mandarin), Catalan, Indonesian, Bulgarian, Czech, Greek|
Mailbird was named Editor’s Choice in 2019 by Windows Report, Best Email Client in 2018 by Softonic, Best Windows Email Software Program in 2015, and 2014 by IT World and in 2013 by PC World.
The Mailbird company is headquartered in Palo Alto, California, United States. In March 2015, Mailbird launched version 2.0, with new features such as Email Snooze, Video Meetings, and Speed Reader, and also added integrations for Facebook, WhatsApp, Veeting Rooms, and more. It was subsequently updated in 2020 with such features as a Unified Calendar, Advanced Search, and Moving Emails between Accounts.
The first version of the Mailbird email software program was created in January 2012 by Danish co-founders and serial entrepreneurs Michael Olsen and Michael Bodekaer.
The main reason for creating Mailbird came from their frustration with other current email clients like Postbox and Thunderbird, which were too slow and had cluttered, non-intuitive user interfaces in their view. Bodekaer and Olsen wanted to innovate the email experience and create a better email software program that would address these challenges in other email clients. After receiving very positive feedback and pre-beta signups, they decided to found the company under the name of Mailbird and assemble a team in February and March 2012.
In January 2013, Mailbird opened their beta to the public on an invite-only basis.
On January 27, 2014, Mailbird 1.0 was released to the public.
On March 17, 2015, Mailbird 2.0 was released to the public with new features such as Email Snooze, Video Meetings, and Speed Reader. Further integrations were added for Facebook, WhatsApp, Veeting Rooms, and more.
In 2020, many new features were introduced, such as the Native Calendar, Advanced Search, and Moving Emails Between Accounts.
Awards and recognition
- Best Free Email Client for Windows in May 2013 by PC World.
- Best Free Email Client for Windows on January 27, 2014 by IT World.
- Best Free Email Client for Windows in March 2015 by IT World.
- Rising Global Star and Best Email Client in 2016-17 by Windows Report.
- Best Email Client in 2018 by Softonic.com.
- Editor’s Choice in 2019 by Windows Report.
Mailbird provides both common and unique features for managing email accounts. Aside from default email client functionality, such as sending or receiving messages, users can also search through all connected email accounts and through attachments; snooze, undo, or delay the sending of emails; manage contacts and calendar events; track sent emails, etc. Added features are available in-app and from integrations.
Multiple Account Support
Email Snooze provides users with an option to remove an email from the inbox for a period of time. The snoozed email will return to the top of the inbox once a defined timer runs out.
With Speed Reader on, the app shows words in an email one by one at a speed a user is comfortable reading.
Calendars from all connected accounts can be viewed in the native integration. The calendar feature provides typical views by day, week, and month and can also be opened in the inbox sidebar.
With Advanced Search, emails can be searched using operators and filters such as file weight or “has attachments.”
Move Emails between Accounts
In the Mailbird app, users can move or copy emails from one account to another using the same methods as when moving or copying files from one folder to another.
Users can apply this feature from inside the inbox to search for contacts in the business service and connect to them.
Users can put a tracker on certain emails and see which recipients opened that email. In a recipient opens a tracked email, this information will show up to the sender.
In-line reply is a default option in Mailbird that allows for adding comments to parts of an email. Comments are automatically highlighted, and the responder’s name is added.
Mailbird supports English and has been translated into 21 other languages.
Mailbird has a built-in browser that opens web applications inside its interface, allowing one to use those apps without the need to leave the Mailbird client interface. Those add-ons are organized inside a store-like section, in which the apps are installed by simply marking a checkbox.
- Chrome — enables in-app browsing
- Degoo — cloud storage with AI technology
- Dropbox — cloud-based storage
- Evernote — web and desktop notepad
- Feedly — application for news aggregation
- Google services — Drive applications, Calendar, Hangouts, and Keep
- Todoist — personal and team productivity management app
- Messengers — WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Twitter
- Business blogs — TechCrunch, The Verge, Lifehacker, etc.
- Unroll.me — email subscription management
- Asana — personal and team project management app
- FollowUp.cc — Gmail integration for setting reminders and automatic replies
- Slack — communication app for teams
- "Official website". https://www.getmailbird.com/.
- "Best Free Email Clients for Windows". http://windowsable.com/best-free-email-clients-windows-10-replace-outlook/. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Ingraham, Nathan (2013-04-01). "Mailbird is a fast, lightweight, Sparrow-inspired Gmail app for Windows users". The Verge. https://www.theverge.com/2013/4/1/4171498/mailbird-is-a-fast-lightweight-sparrow-inspired-gmail-app.
- Ingraham, Nathan (2013-03-27). "Mailbird Is Like Sparrow for Windows (and We’ve Got Invites)". Lifehacker. http://lifehacker.com/461879755.
- "5 best Windows 10 email clients & 3 best apps to use" (in en-US). 2020-12-17. https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-email-client-apps/.
- "Download Email Client For Windows - Best Software & Apps" (in en-US). https://en.softonic.com/downloads/email-client-for-windows.
- Mombrea, Matthew (2015-03-17). "Mailbird 2.0 - Still the best Email client for Windows and Gmail". IT World. http://www.itworld.com/article/2897297/mailbird-2-0-still-the-best-email-client-for-windows-and-gmail.html.
- Paul, Ian (2013-05-27). "Best free stuff, 2013 edition: The productive businessperson". PC World. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038824/best-free-stuff-2013-edition-the-productive-businessperson.html.
- "Mailbird - Crunchbase Company Profile & Funding" (in en). https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/mailbird.
- "Archived copy". http://www.webdesignerpad.com/2015/08/mailbird-best-email-client-for-windows.html.
- ""Outlook Killer" Mailbird Announces Its Unified Calendar". https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/99608/-outlook-killer-mailbird-announces-its-unified-calendar/.
- Mombrea, Matthew (2014-01-27). "Mailbird - The best email client for Windows + Gmail". IT World. http://www.itworld.com/article/2693290/personal-technology/mailbird---the-best-email-client-for-windows---gmail.html.
- "Mailbird Provides Organization for Email Productivity With Style" (in en-US). 2018-06-11. https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/mailbird-provides-organization-for-email-productivity-with-style/.
- "Managing your inbox with Snooze" (in en-US). https://support.getmailbird.com/hc/en-us/articles/220108067-Managing-your-inbox-with-Snooze.
- "LinkedIn LookUp" (in en-US). https://support.getmailbird.com/hc/en-us/articles/220107867-LinkedIn-LookUp.
- "How to Reply to All Emails the Right Way: Inline" (in en-US). 2017-09-26. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-reply-email/.
- "Mailbird Apps in Mailbird Business" (in en-US). https://support.getmailbird.com/hc/en-us/articles/220107887-Mailbird-Apps-in-Mailbird-Business.
- "Mailbird Review: Why It's Better Than Microsoft Outlook" (in en-US). 2017-04-28. https://biz30.timedoctor.com/mailbird-review/.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mailbird. Read more