|Part of a series on|
Rajveer Purohit is an Indian-born American physician, Director of Reconstructive Urology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City , and Associate Professor in its Department of Urology.
Purohit co-developed the first staging system for anterior urethral strictures known as the Purohit-Blaivas anterior urethral stricture staging system. This system permits a standardization of description and analysis of urethral strictures. It is described in the Journal of Urology as providing “a practical syntax for staging stricture severity that makes good sense and is sorely needed”.
In 2018, Mt. Sinai appointed him co-director of its first fellowship in Reconstructive Urology (one of 17 such fellowships worldwide as of 2019) that trains methods of gender affirmation surgery including vaginoplasty, metoidioplasty and phalloplasty.
Purohit graduated Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts in 1993 with B.A. in history, and then Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons for an MD (1998), and Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, where he earned his MPH (1999). After medical school, he completed a six-year residency in Urology at the University of California, San Francisco. He finished a fellowship in reconstructive urology and voiding dysfunction at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University. In 2018, he was visiting professor at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia. He trained in techniques of vaginoplasty, metoidioplasty and other gender affirmation surgeries from Miroslav Djordjevic and Marci Bowers.
He is married to Mamta Purohit, and was a commissioned oil painter and apprentice to Lalit Kala Akademi.
Purohit's areas of research include reconstructive urology, voiding dysfunction, urethral strictures, gender affirmation surgery, mesh complications, reconstructive urology voiding dysfunction, minimally invasive urology, urogynecology, urologic oncology, treatment of complications of surgery and radiation therapy, and erectile dysfunction.
Purohit is frequently invited by media to speak as an expert on penile fractures and urethroplasty. He is referenced in a book by Ross Asdourian, Broken Bananah, in which the author documented his experience with a traumatic penile fracture as well as his experience with the resulting reconstructive penile and urethral surgery performed by Purohit.
Purohit has published 30 peer-reviewed articles, contributed six book chapters and authored “Diagnosis and Treatment of Overactive Bladder” published by Oxford University Press [[[ISBN]]:9780199753727].
His most cited peer-reviewed articles are:
- Purohit RS, Shinohara K, Meng MV, Carroll PR. Imaging clinically localized prostate cancer. Urologic Clinics. 2003 May 1;30(2):279-93. Cited 110 times according to GoogleScholar 
- Purohit RS, Wu DS, Shinohara K, Turek PJ. A prospective comparison of 3 diagnostic methods to evaluate ejaculatory duct obstruction. The Journal of urology. 2004 Jan 1;171(1):232-6. Cited 99 times according to GoogleScholar 
- Blaivas JG, Santos JA, Tsui JF, Deibert CM, Rutman MP, Purohit RS, Weiss JP. Management of urethral stricture in women. The Journal of urology. 2012 Nov;188(5):1778-82. Cited 42 times according to GoogleScholar 
Most recent published book chapters include:
- Laudano MA, Weinberger JM, Purohit RS, Blaivas JG, “Transvaginal Urethrolysis for Urethral Obstruction” Female Pelvic Surgery ed. Firoozi F., Springer 2014. [[[ISBN]]:9781493915033]
- Purohit RS, Blaivas JG, “Treatment of Overactive Bladder Refractory to Medications” Minimally Invasive Therapy for Urinary Incontinence and Pelvic Organ Prolapse” ed: Badlani, G., Springer 2014. [[[ISBN]]:9781493900077]
- Diplomate, American Board of Urology
- Member, Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons (GURS)
- Member, American Urological Association
- Member, Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU)
- Member, World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- "Panel will review surgical strategies for female urethral stricture disease". Daily News San Francisco. 2018-05-21. http://www.auadailynews.org/panel-will-review-surgical-strategies-for-female-urethral-stricture-disease/. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "US Too New York". Weill Cornell Medicine. http://www.ustoonewyork.org/infospeakers.htm. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Purohit, Rajveer S.; Blaivas, Jerry G.; Weinberger, James M.; Deibert, Christopher M. (May 2014). "A New Staging System for Anterior Urethral Strictures". Urology Practice (American Urological Association). https://www.urologypracticejournal.com/article/S2352-0779(14)00002-8/abstract. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Stricture staging system demonstrates good reliability". Urology Times. 2013-11-21. http://www.urologytimes.com/modern-medicine-feature-articles/stricture-staging-system-demonstrates-good-reliability. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Stricture staging, alternative grafts are reconstruction highlights". Urology Times. 2013-04-24. http://www.urologytimes.com/modern-medicine-feature-articles/stricture-staging-alternative-grafts-are-reconstruction-highlights. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Morey, Allen F. (May 2018). "Re: Natural History of Low-Stage Urethral Strictures". The Journal of Urology (American Urological Association). https://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(18)30194-0/fulltext. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "A Novel Staging System for Anterior Urethral Strictures". Semantic Scholar. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-Novel-Staging-System-for-Anterior-Urethral-Purohit-Blaivas/72909cca7df02ba10a58db116e2396cdfabfb562. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Saavedra, Alvero (2018). "Training in reconstructive urology: the past, present and future". Transl Androl Urol 7 (4): 666–672. doi:10.21037/tau.2018.03.04. PMID 30211057.
- "Fellowship - Valenzuela". Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc.. http://www.smsna.org/V1/images/Fellowship/Valenzuela-Mount.pdf. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "SMSNA Fellowship Programs". Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc.. http://www.smsna.org/V1/fellowship. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "Where are our residents now?". University of California San Francisco. https://urology.ucsf.edu/education/residency/where-are-our-residents-now. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Dr. Rajveer Purohit". ShareCare. https://www.sharecare.com/doctor/dr-rajveer-purohit. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Purohit Rajveer S.; Young* James; Bowers Marci (2019-04-01). "V04-08 simplified penile inversion vaginoplasty". Journal of Urology 201 (Supplement 4): e493. doi:10.1097/01.JU.0000555991.20103.84.
- Purohit RS, Golan R, Copeli F, Weinberger J, Benedon M, Mekel G, Blaivas JG (25 May 2017). "Natural History of Low-stage Urethral Strictures". Urology 108: 180–183. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2017.05.025. PMID 28552818.
- Purohit, Rajveer S.; Blaivas, Jerry G.; Weinberger, James M.; Deibert, Christopher M. (May 2014). "A New Staging System for Anterior Urethral Strictures". Abstract (AUA Journals). https://www.auajournals.org/article/S2352-0779(14)00002-8/pdf. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Stricture staging system demonstrates good reliability". Urology Times. 2013-11-21. http://www.urologytimes.com/modern-medicine-feature-articles/stricture-staging-system-demonstrates-good-reliability. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Broken Bananah". One Feather. https://www.brokenbananah.com/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "A comedian broke his penis and wrote a book about it". CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/health/broken-bananah-penile-fracture-ross-asdourian/index.html. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "A man broke his penis while having sex — here's what you can learn from his experience". The Insider. https://www.thisisinsider.com/man-who-broke-penis-wrote-book-megyn-kelly-today-2018-6. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Megyn Kelly Can't Stop Laughing About Guy's Broken Manhood". HeadLineHealth. https://headlinehealth.com/megyn-kelly-cant-stop-laughing-about-guys-broken-manhood/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Sheets, Megan (2018-04-23). "Man's embarrassing confession: 'Mum, I think I broke my penis'". NZ Herald (New Zealand Herald). https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12037938. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "This man wrote a book about every man's nightmare: a broken penis". Metro (US). 2018-04-18. https://www.metro.us/body-and-mind/health/broken-penis-ross-asdourian-book. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Ross je slomio penis: 'Čim sam čuo zvuk pucanja, znao sam.' Pročitajte više na". 24 Sata. https://www.24sata.hr/lifestyle/slomio-penis-pa-napisao-knjigu-o-tom-uzasno-bolnom-iskustvu-569814. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Comediante sufrió un inusual accidente en la intimidad y escribió un libro para contarlo". CNN Chile. https://www.cnnchile.com/pais/comediante-sufrio-un-inusual-accidente-en-la-intimidad-y-escribio-un-libro-para_20180419/. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Rajveer S. Purohit's Research Work". ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/2007340223_Rajveer_S_Purohit. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Overactive Bladder. Oxford American Pocket Notes. Oxford Press. 2011-08-17. ISBN 9780199753727. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-overactive-bladder-9780199753727?cc=us&lang=en&. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- WorldCat author page
- Laudano, Melissa A.; Weinberger, James M.; Purohit, Rajveer S.; Blaivas, Jerry G. (18 September 2014). "Transvaginal Urethrolysis for Urethral Obstruction". Female Pelvic Surgery (Springer): 131–143. doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-1504-0_9. ISBN 978-1-4939-1503-3.
- "Minimally Invasive Therapy for Urinary for Urinary Incontinence and Pelvic Organ Prolapse". Treatment of Overactive Bladder Refractory to Medications (Springer): 123–132. 31 January 2014. doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-0008-4_11.
- "US News: Rajveer Purhoit". https://health.usnews.com/doctors/rajveer-purohit-402248. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Rajveer Purohit, M.D.". World Professional Association for Transgender Health. https://wpath.org/member/3270. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Dr. Rajveer Purohit Clears All Doubts On Coronavirus, Lauds India's Lockdown Measure; Republic TV
- A comedian broke his penis and wrote a book about it
- Transgender Bottom Surgery with Insurance