|Teamviewer 15 on Windows 10|
Teamviewer 15 on Windows 10
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS/iPadOS, Raspberry Pi|
|Type||Remote administration, Web conferencing|
TeamViewer is remote access and remote control software, allowing maintenance of computers and other devices. It was first released in 2005,  and its functionality has expanded step by step. TeamViewer is proprietary software, but does not require registration and is free of charge for non-commercial use. It has been installed on more than two billion devices. TeamViewer is the core product of developer TeamViewer AG.
Rossmanith GmbH released the first version of TeamViewer software in 2005, at that time still based on the VNC project. The IT service provider wanted to avoid unnecessary trips to customers and perform tasks such as installing software remotely. The development was very successful and gave rise to TeamViewer GmbH, which today operates as TeamViewer Germany GmbH and is part of TeamViewer AG.
TeamViewer is available for all desktop computers with common operating systems, including Microsoft Windows and Windows Server, as well as Apple's macOS. There are also packages for several Linux distributions and derivatives, for example, Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, and Fedora Linux. Besides, there is Raspberry Pi OS, a Debian variant for the Raspberry Pi.
TeamViewer is also available for smartphones and tablets running Android or Apple's iOS/iPadOS operating system. Support for Windows Phone and Windows Mobile has been phased out after Microsoft discontinued support for the two operating systems.
The functionality of TeamViewer differs depending on the device and variant or version of the software. The core of TeamViewer is remote access to computers and other endpoints as well as their control and maintenance. After the connection is established, the remote screen is visible to the user at the other endpoint. Both endpoints can send and receive files as well as access a shared clipboard, for example. Besides, some functions facilitate team collaboration, such as audio and video transmissions via IP telephony.
In recent years, the functionality of the software has been optimized in particular for use in large companies. For this purpose, the enterprise variant TeamViewer Tensor was developed. With TeamViewer Pilot, TeamViewer sells software for remote support with augmented reality elements. TeamViewer offers interfaces to other applications and services, for example from Microsoft (Teams), Salesforce, and ServiceNow. The solution is available in nearly all countries and supports over 30 languages.
Private users who use TeamViewer for non-commercial purposes may use the software free of charge. Fees must be paid for the commercial use of the software. Companies and other commercial customers must sign up for a subscription. A one-time purchase of the application is no longer possible since the switch from a license to a subscription model. The prices for using the software are scaled according to the number of users as well as the number of concurrent sessions. Updates are released monthly and are included for all users.
Incoming and outgoing connections are equally possible via the Internet or local networks. If desired, TeamViewer can run as a Windows system service, which allows unattended access via TeamViewer. There is also a portable version of the software that runs completely without installation, for example via a USB data carrier.
The connection is established using automatically generated unique IDs and passwords. Before each connection, the TeamViewer network servers check the validity of the IDs of both endpoints. Security is enhanced by the fingerprint, which allows users to provide additional proof of the remote device's identity. Passwords are protected against brute force attacks, especially by increasing the waiting time between connection attempts exponentially. TeamViewer provides additional security features, such as two-factor authentication, block and allow lists.
Before establishing a connection, TeamViewer first checks the configuration of the device and the network to detect restrictions imposed by firewalls and other security systems. Usually, a direct TCP/UDP connection can be established so that no additional ports need to be opened. Otherwise, TeamViewer falls back on other paths such as an HTTP tunnel.
Regardless of the connection type selected, data is transferred exclusively via secure data channels. TeamViewer includes end-to-end encryption based on RSA (4096 bits) and AES (256 bits). According to the manufacturer, man-in-the-middle attacks are principally not possible. This is to be guaranteed by the signed key exchange of two key pairs.
TeamViewer and similar programs can be abused for Technical support scams. In this process, attackers pretend to be employees of well-known companies to gain control over their victims' computers. They then use a pretext to obtain money from their victims. For this reason, the British Internet provider TalkTalk temporarily blocked the software's data traffic. TeamViewer condemns all forms of misuse of the software constantly improves the product in this respect, provides tips for safe use, and investigates corresponding incidents.
In June 2016, hundreds of TeamViewer users reported having their computers accessed by an unauthorized address in China and bank accounts misappropriated. TeamViewer attributed the outcome to user's "careless password use" and denied all responsibility, saying "neither was TeamViewer hacked nor is there a security hole, TeamViewer is safe to use and has proper security measures in place. Our evidence points to careless use as the cause of the reported issue, a few extra steps will prevent potential abuse."
- (in de) Release Notes, https://community.teamviewer.com/German/categories/release-notes-de, retrieved 2021-02-04
- "Wie geht das? TeamViewer ermöglicht Hilfe aus der Ferne." (in de), Berliner Zeitung, 2007-12-29
- Carl D. Rinker (in en), Advanced Home Server – Making the Complicated Easier, p. 279, https://books.google.com/books?id=WndgBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA279
- Michael Mierke (2019-08-27) (in de), Was ist TeamViewer? Tipps & Tricks, https://www.heise.de/tipps-tricks/Was-ist-TeamViewer-4507319.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Eva-Maria Weiß (2021-01-15) (in de), Ende-zu-Ende-verschlüsselte Videokonferenzen: TeamViewer Meeting nun kostenlos, https://www.heise.de/news/Ende-zu-Ende-verschluesselte-Videokonferenzen-TeamViewer-Meeting-nun-kostenlos-5025771.html, retrieved 2021-02-05
- Jens Tönnesmann (2016-12-08), "Die Weltvernetzer" (in de), Die Zeit: 34, https://www.zeit.de/2016/51/teamviewer-computer-vernetzung-fernsteuerung-goeppingen-digitale-champions, retrieved 2021-02-04
- (in en) TeamViewer Reviews & Product Details, https://www.g2.com/products/teamviewer/reviews, retrieved 2021-02-25
- Robert Landgraf (2019-09-13) (in de), Reifeprüfung Börsengang, https://www.handelsblatt.com/finanzen/maerkte/boerse-inside/reifepruefung-boersengang-so-gross-ist-der-anteil-des-firmenchefs-oliver-steil-am-erfolg-von-teamviewer/25013434.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) Das Einhorn von Göppingen, 2017-01-07, https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/it-medien/softwarefirma-teamviewer-das-einhorn-von-goeppingen/19214494.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) About TeamViewer, Rossmanith GmbH, http://www.teamviewer.com/company/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Larissa Holzki, Christof Kerkmann, Effy Zhang (2020-06-05), "Per Mausklick in die Firma" (in de), Handelsblatt: 27, https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/management/hoffnungstraeger/serie-hoffnungstraeger-per-mausklick-in-die-firma-wie-teamviewer-chef-oliver-steil-von-der-krise-profitiert-hat/25888114.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) Unternehmensregister, Bundesanzeiger Verlag, https://www.unternehmensregister.de/, retrieved 2021-02-04
- (in en) Supported Operating Systems, https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/24141-supported-operating-systems, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Philip Michaels (2009-02-10) (in en), TeamViewer v4 Desktop Collaboration App Now Mac-Compatible, https://www.macworld.com/article/1138757/teamviewer.html, retrieved 2021-02-15
- (in en) How to Install TeamViewer on Debian 10, https://vitux.com/how-to-install-teamviewer-on-debian-10/, retrieved 2021-02-10
- (in en) How to Install TeamViewer on Ubuntu 20.04, 2020-06-27, https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-teamviewer-on-ubuntu-20-04/, retrieved 2021-02-16
- (in en) TeamViewer for RHEL 7.5 server, Red Hat, https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3539921, retrieved 2021-02-09
- Josphat Mutai (2020-04-17) (in en), How To Install TeamViewer on Fedora 32/31/30/29, https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-teamviewer-on-fedora/, retrieved 2021-02-05
- Oliver Nickel (2018-01-22) (in de), Remote Desktop: TeamViewer kommt für IoT-Geräte wie den Raspberry Pi., https://www.golem.de/news/remote-desktop-teamviewer-kommt-fuer-iot-geraete-wie-den-raspberry-pi-1801-132291.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Franz Công Bùi (2012-08-01), "TeamViewer-App ermöglicht Zugriff auf Computer aus der Ferne." (in de), Börsen-Zeitung: 19
- (in en) TeamViewer QuickSupport, Microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/teamviewer-quicksupport/9nblggh5kpgl?activetab=pivot:overviewtab, retrieved 2021-02-16
- (in en) TeamViewer, University of Münster, https://www.uni-muenster.de/IT/en/services/arbeitsplatz/software/teamviewer.html, retrieved 2021-02-17
- Georg Drabner (2009-04-24), "Hilfe aus der Ferne" (in de), Saarbrücker Zeitung
- Reiko Kaps (2009-12-03) (in de), Desktop-Fernhilfe mit Video-Telefonie, https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Desktop-Fernhilfe-mit-Video-Telefonie-875739.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) TeamViewer 8: Fernwartungssoftware mit neuen Funktionen für Unternehmen, https://www.golem.de/news/teamviewer-8-fernwartungssoftware-mit-neuen-funktionen-fuer-unternehmen-1212-96120.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Thomas Bär, Frank-Michael Schlede (2019), "TeamViewer Tensor: Fernwartung für die Großen" (in de), Admin Magazin (4), https://www.admin-magazin.de/Das-Heft/2019/04/TeamViewer-Tensor, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) TeamViewer Pilot: Fernsupport mithilfe von Augmented Reality, Digital Business Cloud, 2019-08-26, https://www.digitalbusiness-cloud.de/teamviewer-pilot-fernsupport-mithilfe-von-augmented-reality/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Oliver Nickel (2018-10-24) (in de), TeamViewer 14 zeigt Informationen mit Augmented Reality, https://www.golem.de/news/fernwartung-teamviewer-14-zeigt-informationen-mit-augmented-reality-1810-137294.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in en) Microsoft to integrate TeamViewer in Microsoft Teams, Mumbai, 2020-09-03, https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/microsoft-to-integrate-teamviewer-in-microsoft-teams/article32510765.ece, retrieved 2021-02-15
- (in en) TeamViewer Integrates with Microsoft Teams, 2020-09-02, https://www.enterpriseitworld.com/teamviewer-integrates-with-microsoft-teams/, retrieved 2021-02-09
- (in en) TeamViewer – Remote Support and Access Integration for Salesforce, Salesforce, https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3A00000EFmSYUA1, retrieved 2021-02-16
- (in en) New Features Added to TeamViewer Integration with ServiceNow, 2020-07-02, https://aithority.com/it-and-devops/new-features-added-to-teamviewer-integration-with-servicenow/, retrieved 2021-02-15
- (in en) TeamViewer Software, https://www.softwareadvice.com/video-conferencing/teamviewer-profile/, retrieved 2021-02-11
- (in de) Kommerzielle Nutzung, TeamViewer AG, https://www.teamviewer.com/de/pricing/kommerzielle-nutzung/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Jörn Brien (2020-03-18) (in de), Coronavirus: TeamViewer kannst du jetzt inoffiziell auch beruflich gratis nutzen., yeebase media, https://t3n.de/news/coronavirus-teamviewer-beruflich-1262679/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in en) All about Subscription, https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/44373-all-about-subscription, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Michael Kroker (2018-10-31) (in de), TeamViewer-CEO Steil: „Die DSGVO ist für uns ein Wettbewerbs-Vorteil“., https://www.wiwo.de/my/unternehmen/it/teamviewer-ceo-steil-die-dsgvo-ist-fuer-uns-ein-wettbewerbs-vorteil/23252168.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) Die besten Programme für den USB-Stick – TeamViewer Portable, T-Online, https://www.t-online.de/digital/download/id_54675798/si_4/die-besten-programme-fuer-den-usb-stick-.html, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in en) What is Brute-Force Protection?, https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/3967-what-is-brute-force-protection, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in en) Which ports are used by TeamViewer?, https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/4139-which-ports-are-used-by-teamviewer, retrieved 2020-02-04
- David Murphy (2016-06-04) (in en), TeamViewer Introduces New Security Measures to Thwart Hacks, https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/81992/teamviewer-introduces-new-security-measures-to-thwart-hacks, retrieved 2021-02-14
- (in de) How secure is TeamViewer?, https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/4619-security-statement-how-secure-is-teamviewer, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in de) TeamViewer und Scamming, https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-DE/TeamViewer-und-Scamming/ta-p/56403, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Hajo Schulz (2016), "Bei Anruf Abzocke" (in de), c’t Magazin (26): 64, https://www.heise.de/select/ct/2016/23/1478857832099577, retrieved 2020-02-04
- Kat Hall (2017-03-09) (in en), Brit ISP TalkTalk Blocks Control Tool TeamViewer, https://www.theregister.com/2017/03/09/talktalk_blocks_teamviewer/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- (in en) Report a Scam, TeamViewer AG, https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/report-a-scam/, retrieved 2020-02-04
- "TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained.". The Register (UK). https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/teamviewer_mass_breach_report/.
- "Hack Suspected on TeamViewer After Users Report Unauthorized Connections". USA: Trend Micro. https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/cyber-attacks/hack-on-teamviewer-after-reported-unauthorized-connections.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ TeamViewer. Read more