Thor (video codec)
Thor is a royalty free video codec under development by Cisco Systems. The specifications of Thor were available in various Internet-Drafts. On July 22, 2015, Thor was presented to the IETF as a candidate for their NETVC video standard. Thor uses some Cisco elements that are also used by HEVC. As part of the NETVC work, the Constrained Low-Pass Filter (CLPF) and motion compensation techniques used in Thor were tested in conjunction with the lapped transform coding techniques from the Daala codec.
According to Steinar Midtskogen, a principal Thor developer and AV1 contributor, Thor is in good shape for real-time CPU encoding (as of NETVC meeting 101, March 19, 2018), in strong contrast to AV1 at the same time. Thor development had stalled for the finalization of AV1, but Midtskogen envisaged further Thor development by merging the Daala entropy coder and adding more tools for screen content.
- "Thor Video Codec". IETF. 2016-03-18. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fuldseth-netvc-thor-02.
- "NETVC IETF 93". Internet Engineering Task Force. https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/minutes/minutes-93-netvc.
- "Thor: High Efficiency, Moderate Complexity Video Codec using only RF IPR". Internet Engineering Task Force. https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-netvc-4.pdf.
- NETVC Hackathon Results IETF 93 (Prague) (PDF)
- "New open standard for Ultra High Definition video will enable enhanced video playback". Alliance for Open Media. 2015-09-01. http://aomedia.org/press-release/alliance-to-deliver-next-generation-open-media-formats/.
- Stephen Shankland (2015-09-01). "Tech giants join forces to hasten high-quality online video". CNET. http://www.cnet.com/news/tech-giants-join-forces-to-hasten-high-quality-online-video/.
- Zimmerman, Steven (15 May 2017). "Google’s Royalty-Free Answer to HEVC: A Look at AV1 and the Future of Video Codecs". XDA Developers. https://www.xda-developers.com/av1-future-video-codecs-google-hevc/.
- "IETF101-NETVC-20180319-1550". 19 March 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7hfrFWeic&t=28m45s. "It's certainly possible to get real-time encoding with Thor, that we know, but for AV1, it's not proven yet."
- "Thor update and AV1 comparisons". https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/slides-101-netvc-thorav1-update-01.
- Source code repository on GitHub
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Thor (video codec). Read more