Astronomy:Katzman Automatic Imaging Telescope
The telescope had a first light in 1998, and is a noted robotic telescope. It had first recorded data in August 1996, and was formally dedicated late that year. It was used for the Lick Observatory Supernova Search.
KAIT can take close to 100 images per hour and observe about 1000 galaxies a night.
The Katzman Automatic Imaging Telescope is a robotic telescope designed to look for supernova. The telescope uses 76 cm (30 inch) diameter mirror that feeds a CCD imager with 20 slot filter wheel. The telescope is also supported by an electronic weather station, that can feed data to the robotic telescope control system. Several computers run software that controls the telescope and take in the data from the sensors.
The telescope's development was funded by the NSF at private donors since 1989, turning 30-inch (~760 mm) telescope in a computer controlled super nova huntress. The telescope can also monitor the brightness of variable stars.
Observations & research
In 2011, KAIT was one of six telescopes used for the Lick AGN Monitoring Project.
In 2014, KAIT helped determine the age of a supernova found in the galaxy M83, because it had images of that region of the sky from just a few days prior to its discovery, establishing it had not brightened at that time.
- List of observatories
- List of telescope types
- "The 0.76 m KAIT telescope, adapted from [28."] (in en). https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-076m-KAIT-telescope-adapted-from-28_fig3_43170596.
- 2001ASPC..246..121F Page 121. Bibcode: 2001ASPC..246..121F.
- "Automated Supernova Searches To Begin At Lick Observatory" (in en). http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1996-10/UoCS-ASST-211096.php.
- "Spiral Beauty Graced by Fading Supernova" (in en-us). https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1315/.
- Jha, S. et al. (1999). "Supernova 1999ec in NGC 2207". IAU Circular 7269: 2. Bibcode: 1999IAUC.7269....2J.
- A. Panncoast, et al. - The Lick AGN Monitoring Project 2011: Photometric Light Curves (2019) - American Astronomical Society
- "Bright supernova in M74" (in en-US). 2013-07-29. https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/bright-supernova-in-m74/.
- Science, Megan Gannon 2014-01-22T21:40:49Z; Astronomy. "Exploding Star: New Supernova Discovery Is Closest in Years" (in en). https://www.space.com/24369-supernova-star-explosion-amateur-photos.html.
- Lewis, Danny. "Spy Two Supernovae in June's Night Sky" (in en). https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/spy-two-supernovae-june-night-sky-180959400/.
- Liodakis, Ioannis; Romani, Roger W.; Filippenko, Alexei V.; Kocevski, Daniel; Zheng, WeiKang (2019-07-22). "Probing Blazar Emission Processes with Optical/Gamma-Ray Flare Correlations". The Astrophysical Journal 880 (1): 32. doi:10.3847/1538-4357/ab26b7. ISSN 1538-4357. Bibcode: 2019ApJ...880...32L.
- "The KAIT Home Page". http://astron.berkeley.edu/~bait/kait.html.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Katzman Automatic Imaging Telescope. Read more