Astronomy:Black Hole Initiative
The Black Hole Initiative (BHI) is an interdisciplinary program at Harvard University that includes the fields of Astronomy, Physics and Philosophy, and is claimed to be the first center in the world to focus on the study of black holes. Notable principal participants include: Sheperd Doeleman, Peter Galison, Avi Loeb, Andrew Strominger and Shing-Tung Yau. The BHI Inauguration was held on 18 April 2016 and was attended by Stephen Hawking; related workshop events were held on 19 April 2016. Robert Dijkgraaf created the mural for the BHI Inauguration.
If determinism — the predictability of the universe — breaks down in black holes, it could break down in other situations. Even worse, if determinism breaks down, we can’t be sure of our past history either. The history books and our memories could just be illusions. It is the past that tells us who we are. Without it, we lose our identity.
- Galactic Center
- General relativity
- List of black holes
- Outline of black holes
- Timeline of black hole physics
- Staff (2017). "Black Hole Initiative - Harvard University". Harvard University. https://bhi.fas.harvard.edu/. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Grigorian, Alec J. (11 May 2016). "Black Hole Initiative Receives $7.2 Million in Funding". The Harvard Crimson. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/5/11/black-hole-initiative-receives-funding/. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Staff (2016). "The Black Hole Initiative: Towards A Center For Interdisciplinary Research". John Templeton Foundation. https://www.templeton.org/grant/the-black-hole-initiative-towards-a-center-for-interdisciplinary-research. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Reuell, Peter (18 April 2016). "Hawking at Harvard - At packed Sanders Theatre, theoretical physicist and cosmologist tackles the contradictory qualities of black holes". Harvard University. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/04/hawking-at-harvard/. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Staff. "Robbert Dijkgraaf Creates Mural for Black Hole Initiative". Institute for Advanced Study. https://www.ias.edu/news/dijkgraaf-blackhole-mural. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Official website
- Official Youtube Channel
- Inauguration workshop events (19 April 2017):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black Hole Initiative was the original source. Read more.