Astronomy:List of extraterrestrial memorials
List of extraterrestrial memorials is a list of different types of memorials that are not on Earth.
Several landing sites have been named, either the spacecraft itself or the landing site:
- Pennants of Soviet Union on Mars 2 and Mars 3 landers (1971).
- Thomas Mutch Memorial Station, the Viking 1 lander (1976).
- Gerald Soffen Memorial Station, the Viking 2 lander (1976).
- Carl Sagan Memorial Station, Mars Pathfinder (Sojourner) base (1997).
- Challenger Memorial Station, MER-B (Opportunity) landing site area (2004).
- Columbia Memorial Station, MER-A (Spirit) landing site area (2004).
- Green Valley, the Phoenix lander (2008).
- Bradbury Landing, Curiosity rover landing site (August 6, 2012). (Note: Due to the nature of the landing system, there is no actual space hardware at the touchdown location of Bradbury Landing, see Curiosity (rover))
- InSight Landing, the InSight lander (2018).
- Fallen Astronaut, is a lunar plaque and small memorial statue for lives lost in space exploration. It was placed on the Moon during the 1971 Apollo 15 mission
- Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 17 each left a plaque and flag at their landing sites.
- Pennants of the Soviet Union on Luna 2 impactor
- Flag of India on ISRO's Moon Impact Probe that was released by Chandrayaan-1 and impacted the Lunar surface on 14 November 2008.
- Manfred Memorial Moon Mission (lunar flyby and Earth orbit)
- Soviet Craft - Mars (1960-1974)
- NSSDC - Viking 1 lander
- NSSDC - Viking 2 lander
- NSSDC - Mars Pathfinder
- NASA - Space Shuttle Challenger Crew Memorialized on Mars
- NASA - Space Shuttle Columbia Crew Memorialized on Mars
- "Curiosity Landing Site Named for Ray Bradbury". NASA. August 22, 2012. http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=150917411. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Sculpture, Fallen Astronaut". http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19860035000. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Soviet Craft - Luna (1958-1976)
- Laxman, Srinivas (2008-11-15). "Chandrayaan-I Impact Probe lands on moon". Times Of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Chandrayaan-I_Impact_Probe_lands_on_moon/articleshow/3714245.cms. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- ESA - Huygens landing site to be named after Hubert Curien
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List of extraterrestrial memorials. Read more