Eridania Lake is a theorized ancient lake on Mars with a surface area of roughly 1.1 million square kilometers. It is located at the source of the Ma'adim Vallis outflow channel and extends into Eridania quadrangle and the Phaethontis quadrangle. As Eridania Lake dried out in the late Noachian epoch it divided into a series of smaller lakes.
Later research with CRISM found thick deposits, greater than 400 meters thick, that contained the minerals saponite, talc-saponite, Fe-rich mica (for example, glauconite-nontronite), Fe- and Mg-serpentine, Mg-Fe-Ca-carbonate and probable Fe-sulphide. The Fe-sulphide probably formed in deep water from water heated by volcanoes. Such a process, classified as hydrothermal may have been a place where life began.
- Rossman, P. Irwin III; Ted A. Maxwell; Alan D. Howard; Robert A. Craddock; David W. Leverington (21 June 2002). "A Large Paleolake Basin at the Head of Ma'adim Vallis, Mars". Science 296 (5576): 2209–2212. doi:10.1126/science.1071143. PMID 12077414. Bibcode: 2002Sci...296.2209I.
- de Pablo, M. A.; Fairén, A. G.; Márquez, A. (3 March 2004). "The Geology of Atlantis Basin, Mars, and Its Astrobiological Interest". 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, 15–19 March 2004, League City, Texas: 1223. abstract no.1223. Bibcode: 2004LPI....35.1223D. http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2004/pdf/1223.pdf.
- Cabrol, N. and E. Grin (eds.). 2010. Lakes on Mars. Elsevier. NY.
- Rossman, R. (2002). "A large paleolake basin at the head of Ma'adim Vallis, Mars". Science 296 (5576): 2209–2212. doi:10.1126/science.1071143. PMID 12077414. Bibcode: 2002Sci...296.2209R.
- "HiRISE | Chaos in Eridania Basin (ESP_037142_1430)". http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_037142_1430.
- Joseph R. Michalski, Eldar Z. Noe Dobrea, Paul B. Niles & Javier Cuadros (10 July 2017). "Ancient hydrothermal seafloor deposits in Eridania basin on Mars". Nature Communications 8: 15978. doi:10.1038/ncomms15978. PMID 28691699. Bibcode: 2017NatCo...815978M.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Eridania Lake. Read more