Astronomy:Block Island meteorite
|Block Island meteorite|
|Composition||Nickel, iron, Kamacite, taenite|
|Weathering grade||Large-scale, cavernous weathering|
|Fall date||Possibly late Noachian|
|Found date||July 17, 2009|
|TKW||>0.5 short tons (0.45 t)|
|Alternative names||Meridiani Planum 006, MP 006|
Block Island in close up.
Block Island was the first of three iron meteorites encountered by the rover on Meridiani Planum within a few hundred meters, the others being Shelter Island (the second meteorite found), and Mackinac Island (the third one found).
No strong evidence exists concerning when Block Island may have fallen on Mars, though atmospheric conditions would have favored its arrival in the late Noachian period. Block Island may be extensively weathered, or conversely the features covering it may simply be the regmaglypts formed by its passage through the atmosphere. Contrary to some claims, Block Island is not too large for the modern martian atmosphere to produce, though the denser the atmosphere the more effectively it would produce Block Island mass meteorites.
- Atmospheric reentry
- Bounce Rock
- Glossary of meteoritics
- Heat Shield Rock
- List of Martian meteorites
- List of meteorites on Mars
- Oileán Ruaidh meteorite
- Nemiroff, R.; Bonnell, J., eds (13 August 2009). "Block Island Meteorite on Mars". Astronomy Picture of the Day. NASA. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090813.html.
- Ashley, J. W. (July 2011). "Evidence for mechanical and chemical alteration of iron-nickel meteorites on Mars: Process insights for Meridiani Planum". Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets 116 (E7): E00F20. doi:10.1029/2010JE003672. Bibcode: 2011JGRE..116.0F20A.
- Google Mars
- Atkinson, Nancy (August 2009). "Opportunity Spies Unusual Rock — Large Meteorite?". Universe Today. http://www.universetoday.com/36498/opportunity-spies-unusual-rock-large-meteorite/.
- Staff (September 14, 2010). "Mars' Odd 'Block Island' Meteorite - A Clue to an Ancient Atmosphere". Daily Galaxy. http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/09/image-of-the-day-mars-odd-block-island-meteorite.html.
- Beech, Martin; Ian M. Coulson (2010). "The making of Martian meteorite Block Island". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 404 (3): 1457. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2010.16350.x. Bibcode: 2010MNRAS.404.1457B. http://hyperion2.cc.uregina.ca/~astro/block.pdf. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Meridiani Planum 006". The Meteoritical Society. 17 May 2020. http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=72333. .
- Chappelow, J. E.; Golombek M.P. (July 2011). "Event and conditions that produced the iron meteorite Block Island on Mars". Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets 115 (E12). doi:10.1029/2010JE003666. Bibcode: 2010JGRE..115.0F07C.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Block Island meteorite. Read more