|Interactions||Strong, weak, Electromagnetic, Gravity|
|Discovered||E288 experiment (1977)|
|mean lifetime||1.21×10−20 s|
|electric charge||0 e|
The Upsilon meson (ϒ) is a quarkonium state (i.e. flavourless meson) formed from a bottom quark and its antiparticle. It was discovered by the E288 experiment team, headed by Leon Lederman, at Fermilab in 1977, and was the first particle containing a bottom quark to be discovered because it is the lightest that can be produced without additional massive particles. It has a lifetime of 1.21×10−20 s and a mass about 9.46 GeV/c2 in the ground state.
- Oops-Leon, an erroneously-claimed discovery of a similar particle at a lower mass in 1976.
- The Phi meson particle is the analogous state made from strange quarks.
- The J/Psi particle is the analogous state made from charm quarks.
- List of mesons
- D.C. Hom (1977). "Observation of a Dimuon Resonance at 9.5 Gev in 400-GeV Proton-Nucleus Collisions". Physical Review Letters 39: 252–255. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.39.252. Bibcode: 1977PhRvL..39..252H. http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/1977/pub/Pub-77-058-E.pdf.
- J. Yoh (1998). "The Discovery of the b Quark at Fermilab in 1977: The Experiment Coordinator's Story". AIP Conference Proceedings 424: 29–42. http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/1997/conf/Conf-97-432-E.pdf.
- S. Eidelman et al. (Particle Data Group) (2004). "Review of Particle Physics – ϒ meson". Physics Letters B 592: 1. doi:10.1016/j.physletb.2004.06.001. Bibcode: 2004PhLB..592....1P. http://pdg.lbl.gov/2005/listings/m049.pdf.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upsilon meson. Read more