Sinton is a crater in the Ismenius Lacus quadrangle on Mars, located at 40.72°N and 328.35°W. Sinton Crater lies in the northern hemisphere south of the very large crater Lyot (Martian crater). It is 65.25 km in diameter and was named after Harvard astronomer William M. Sinton. The name was approved in 2007.
Sinton Crater is believed to have been caused by an impact into an icefield. This impact melted ice and produced many branched valleys. Some of these can be seen in one of the images below. Evidence of an icefield is lineated valley fill (LVF) and lobate debris aprons (LDA) in the region. Some of this evidence can be seen in one of the images below.
West side of Sinton Crater, as seen by CTX camera (on Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter).
- Climate of Mars
- Geological history of Mars
- Geology of Mars
- Glaciers on Mars
- Impact event
- Ismenius Lacus quadrangle
- List of craters on Mars
- Ore resources on Mars
- Planetary nomenclature
- Water on Mars
- Moore, P. et al. 1990. The Atlas of the Solar System. Crescent Books. NY
- "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature | Sinton". International Astronomical Union. http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Feature/14290.
- Morgan, G., J. Head. Sinton Crater, Mars: Evidence for impact into a plateau icefield and melting to produce valley networks at the Hesperin-Amazonian boundary. Icarus: 202, 39-59.
- Lucchitta, B. 1984. Ice and debris in the fretted terrain, Mars. J. Geophys. Res. Suppl. 89, 409.
- Head, J. et al. 2006. Extensive valley glacier deposits in the northern mid-latitudes of Mars: Evidence for Late Amazonian obliquity-driven climate change. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 241, 663-671.
- Head, J., et al. 2006. Modification of the dichotomy boundary on Mars by Amazonian mid-latitude regional glaciation. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33, L08S03, doi:10.1029/2005GL024360.
- Morgan, G, J. Head, D. Marchant. 2009. Lineated Valley Fill (LVF) and Lobate Debris Aprons (LDA) in the Deuteronilus mensae northern dichotomy boundary region, Mars: Constrains on the extent, age, and episodicity of Amazonian glacial events. Icarus: 202, 22-38.
Original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Sinton (crater). Read more